Trancripts from University

Old May 15th 2008, 3:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trancripts from University

Just nipped across from the Canada board but have had similar issues. I think the lack of transcripts is a very brittish thing. Like many others here I have a degree but was never issued with any mark sheets or anything. I was lucky as my Uni (for a fee) was set up quite well to provide them. Stupid me though didn't keep a copy after emmigrating.

I tried to sign up with an agency to do a bit of private tutoring and they wanted all kinds of paperwork., including degree transcripts. Had a very frustrating conversation.
"we need a copy of your degree transcript"
" I have my degree certficate"
"no we need the transcript , we need to see what your major was"
" Physics"
"with what?"
"physics , I have a physics degree"
"yes but with what"
"physics with physics and more bloody physics" <may not have actually added the last bit>!!

I feel your pain!!!
Old May 15th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

andysarah is an unknown quantity at this point

"How did you receive your exam results each year?"

Well, they were mainly posted up on the board at uni for all and sundry to look at. Coursework was mainly assessed through the year when completed and marks given for those essays, then overall unit marks posted on the board. We certainly never received anything that would serve to satisfy 'officialdom' as it was not in the form of a transcript that they would accept.

The following statement is from the Uni of Greenwich website:

"For Students who have completed beyond 10 years the University unfortunately can not provide transcript records. As an alternative a letter of confirmation with a short statement on our archive policy is available free of charge"

With my letter I did manage to get a computer print out of my units and grades, so why this can't be transferred into a transcript is beyond me.

I have also spoken to AEI-NOOSR with regards to a qualifications recognition assessment and this is what they said:

"This is a common issue for applicants with UK qualifications. Generally, we can complete an assessment providing a Statutory Declaration is provided that outlines the reasons why a transcript is unavailable, and, if possible, that also provides some information about what subjects you studied and the results you achieved. The syllabus outline would also be very helpful"

So it seems that the lack of transcripts is quite common.

Very frustrating.

Last edited by andysarah; May 15th 2008 at 11:42 pm. Reason: forgot something!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

karlphillips is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I just had to go through this process myself. I didn't even know what a transcript was until our agent explained it to me. I never got one when I graduated (1985) just got the degree certificate. I phoned the Uni to ask for one and had to chase several times - delay in getting results from the relevant department - in the end they produced a letter stating the course I had attended, dates, and degree achieved. I sent this off with my aplication to speed things up (on advice of agent - apparently not everyone can get hold of a transcript) and then a couple of weeks later a proper transcript turned up and I forwarded that as a late piece of supporting evidence.

Karl
Old May 16th 2008, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

It took my husband 2 months to get his transcript for his ACS application. Apparently, all results are kept at Cardiff Uni - he graduated in 1988 - but not in transcript form. Some poor person had to search through a cellar for the bits of paper and put them together in the form of transcript! They were very helpful and managed to get a copy of the syllabus and a letter from his tutor confirming the amount of IT studied. All this was free, but it took them a long time and delayed our application.....

My transcript took 2 days from Lancaster Uni but cost £35.

So I think each uni has it's own set up and you have to be patient and negotiate politely with the disorganised ones to get what you want.
Old May 16th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

jaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant future

Sounds like I might have a bit of waiting to do you yet then, which is quite frustrating when you add it to the time everything else takes. I will just keep repeating, 'patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue...'

Janexxx

Last edited by jaystar; May 16th 2008 at 10:49 am. Reason: stoopid spelling
Old May 16th 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

jaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant futurejaystar has a brilliant future

Hooray! The lady we were in touch with from the university emailed this afternoon to say she had both transcripts and asking for our address so she could pop them in the post. No mention of a charge though? But whatever ( I now sound like my 8 year old daughter!) they are coming.

Hayles, who did you get to certify your documents? Actually, I'll text you.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Janexxx