The Tradies Thread.

Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

PLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nice
Default Re: The Tradies Thread.

I am in the uk, seriously considering going to Oz to try and get an employer to sponsor me.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

matt2095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
just found this thread.Am painter and decorator. 175. lodged 17th april 09. ss WA lodged two weeks ago. Am in Sydney on holiday right now, loads and loads of work in the industry. no companies big enough to sponsor tradies (unless you want to work out west for peanuts), Ridiculous situation, I could start up right now and employ two people. They have no idea what is going on in their own country.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Dennis74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PLASTERERFROMWALES
Morning tradies, I've just been reading about the changes in processing priorities and was wondering if my thoughts are correct. As I am a solid plasterer (non csl) if I don't get the sposorship from WA (which I have applied for) then my application is going to take years before its processed. I would then have to hope that solid plastering was put back on the critical skills list for any chance of getting a visa sooner.
I could get a family member to sponsor me or go to Oz and try to get an employer to sponsor me which I know would not be easy. Any advise would be welcomed.
Regards plastererfromwales

I might be wrong, but I dare to say that in my opinion, having a State Sponsorship or not just makes a difference of one step on the ever-changing ladder of priorities (#5 vs #6). A lot has already been discussed about our scenario (SS but non-CSL) - some rumors stating you've still got priority, some say you ain't. "Fortunately", DIAC is rather clear on this:

"If your nominated occupation is not on the Critical Skills List (CSL) and
you have applied for an offshore GSM visa or intend to apply for an
offshore GSM visa later in 2009, it is unlikely that your visa application
will be finalised before the end of 2012."
(Taken out of the weekly ASPC status mail)

OK, my gist is: I'm afraid you'll have to look for an employer-sponsor (I hope I'm wrong,though! )

Regards,
Dennis
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

PLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nicePLASTERERFROMWALES is just really nice

Thanks for the reply Dennis, I think you are right, hope you are wrong. I have also been looking at the student visa route today but am not sure how I can do it with a missus and two kids. Is anyone else thinking about this?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

erco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really nice

hi

we've been at it since early 2008. im a plasterer and was on CSL originally and applied for a 175. last march changed to 176 SS and got sponsor in august. meds pcc etc sent and they change the goalposts again. i might be going out to Oz next month to look for an employer as its useless from here. (hopefully not u8seless from over there)
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

JMC1678 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by erco
hi

we've been at it since early 2008. im a plasterer and was on CSL originally and applied for a 175. last march changed to 176 SS and got sponsor in august. meds pcc etc sent and they change the goalposts again. i might be going out to Oz next month to look for an employer as its useless from here. (hopefully not u8seless from over there)
Just been reading through your thread. I'm a metal fabricator in exactly the same position, £325 lighter after paying for those useless meds and police check. I'm pretty desperate to get back out there but do you think going out there job hunting in the hope of getting a sponsor is viable? It seems a little extreme, though sitting here in the hope that DIAC will change their minds is a little futile too. You're right about it being useless from here; Australian recruitment agencies seem very reluctant to help these days.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Welsh Jeff is a jewel in the roughWelsh Jeff is a jewel in the roughWelsh Jeff is a jewel in the roughWelsh Jeff is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the reply Dennis, I think you are right, hope you are wrong. I have also been looking at the student visa route today but am not sure how I can do it with a missus and two kids. Is anyone else thinking about this?
Hi there new to this forum but would like to know if any one has done the a class stuff for an electrician when they get there. I am off next summer and need help in this area, idealy I would like to get acreditation before i get there so I can get straight into a job.
many thanks
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

erco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really niceerco is just really nice

JMC1678

i think theres a few hundred about these forums that keep getting knocked back. 4 in my visa so meds were approx 1k . upto now including the agent i think im out by about 4k otherwise i probably would of packed it all in by now. i seem to get the message that your not wanted if you know what i mean. Chris Evans (the Australian one have changed the policy regarding visa priority twice in 6 months and dont seem to care what problems it causes to a workforce wiling to work and be an asset in Oz. I know theres some heated discussion going on here and there (my friend lives in Perth) as the territories still want us but the government doesnt seem to.

Erco
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by erco
JMC1678

i think theres a few hundred about these forums that keep getting knocked back. 4 in my visa so meds were approx 1k . upto now including the agent i think im out by about 4k otherwise i probably would of packed it all in by now. i seem to get the message that your not wanted if you know what i mean. Chris Evans (the Australian one have changed the policy regarding visa priority twice in 6 months and dont seem to care what problems it causes to a workforce wiling to work and be an asset in Oz. I know theres some heated discussion going on here and there (my friend lives in Perth) as the territories still want us but the government doesnt seem to.

Erco
My word, a big investment. I've been thinking about what you said about going over there and looking for employer sponsorship. It's a heck of a risk but it's the only option at the moment. It's difficult to gauge the work situation on the other side of the planet but my ex girlfriend's lived in Sydney all her life and she reckons that, other than finance and media workers losing jobs, there's little sign of recession out there at the moment. I might hang fire till the new year as there is meant to be more news about changes to the MODL but, judging by previous experiences, a new announcement equates to a major setback.

John
Old Oct 6th 2009, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

monty46 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi first time on site,

confused and desperate,

I was on CSL I am a chef and as stated before chef has been removed from list . Advised to go for 176 sponsored skill did so on 11th may 2009 told September 23rd case was about to go for assessment .
Now the reviewed priority list is out from 28th September .
My agent has previously advised me not to do the medical /police check yet until I get a case officer . Any suggestions on what is next 2011 has been mentioned I dont know if I can last

any support welcome mont
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Monty, welcome to the club. I know the situation is a bit crappy for us but at least they haven't said no. Looks like we just have to get on with life for a bit and hope for the best.
I have started sending my cv to various firms in Oz in the hope of finding a sponsor, also talked the missus into training as a nurse. This will be the back up plan if everything goes wrong. You never know if the csl will change for the good, I know australia has a massive housing shortage so plasterers will be back in demand and they are going to have too many accountants over there soon, which will mean that they need chefs to feed them.
Keep cooking and don't give up.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone on here found a sponsor and if so how did you do it. I have applied for full time plastering positions and sent my cv to plastering firms and will continue to do so. I am planning a trip after xmas to Oz if I can't find anyone to sponsor me.
Any advice or suggestions for possible sponsors would be welcomed.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Has anyone on here found a sponsor and if so how did you do it. I have applied for full time plastering positions and sent my cv to plastering firms and will continue to do so. I am planning a trip after xmas to Oz if I can't find anyone to sponsor me.
Any advice or suggestions for possible sponsors would be welcomed.
I'm in the same position as you, pretty much decided to quit my job and head out there to look for sponsorship. Seems the only way at the moment. I'm ready to go now but I'm going to wait until the upcoming announcement about changes to the MODL and CSL. No point going now if they intend to remove my trade from the list. Oh, a word of advice: avoid recruitment agencies, they just mess you around.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

chrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to allchrisling is a name known to all

Hi guys, just received Queensland SS this morning, now all I need is to be put back on the CSL. At least someone still wants us. Good luck everyone.

Chris.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

matt2095 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, the problem you are going to find with sponsorship as a tradesman is the requirements of the sponsoring company, they have to employ Several tradesmen, five or six would cover it, have to been trading for an established period of time, over eight years or so, be committed to training Australians, have apprentices and the like, and here is the real killer, be willing to turn their books over to the government for audit(no one wants to do that!), oh and be willing to sponsor you for a reasonable length of time to make it worth while( A couple of years or so). You would nt be able to find someone in the U.K. who would or could do that! Most construction companies in OZ are small teams, supported by subbies, very few builders could guarantee you two years work, realistically people are employed by the job.
The last and most important thing about being sponsored is that you must prove that you are doing a job that an Australian cant, as DIAC perceives that there is an economic down turn, and a slow in the construction market Im afraid they will not be easily convinced that there are not Australian tradesmen to do the work. I have just returned from a three month trip out there. On the plus side I have spoken with representatives of the W.A. and S.A. states, and they are up in arms with DIACS current moves as they are crying out for tradesmen and are pressuring DIAC to increase the flow of tradesmen again. Hold tight brothers, we will be prioritized again soon. All comes to those who are willing to wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.