British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   The Tradies Thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/tradies-thread-609037/)

chrisling May 14th 2009 7:42 am

The Tradies Thread.

Seems to be a whole heap of threads on here about IT, accountants and the like but not much on the progress of the guys and girls who get their hands dirty. No doubt many of you like me, were and now aren't on the CSL so what's your plan of attack now? Has anyone non CSL been granted a visa recently or maybe like me you are now heading down the SS route. Have you been lucky enough to have found a job offer? Cmon tradies, lets hear your view on things. I am ASCO 4112-11 Fitter by the way.

Chris.

daddyoconnor May 14th 2009 10:35 am

Re: The Tradies Thread.

Hi Chris

Husband Welder (sorry not sure of code). But we have gone down the 176 SS route (original reason being because we didn't have enough points to do 175). However due to what happened with the CSL - it worked out well for us .....as Medicals just been finalised and hoping to get visa approved any day soon.

Although saying all that, not sure we are ready to put house on market etc until things start picking up with economy, jobs etc. We both work full time and therefore both expect to work full time in Aus. Cannot afford to up sticks and be unemployed (not many people can) especially with 2 young children. So even with visa - will be staying put for now.

Glad you started this Thread - will be interesting to find out who - if anyone - is being offered jobs.

Amanda :)

chrisling May 14th 2009 11:57 am

Originally Posted by daddyoconnor (Post 7571165)
Hi Chris

Husband Welder (sorry not sure of code). But we have gone down the 176 SS route (original reason being because we didn't have enough points to do 175). However due to what happened with the CSL - it worked out well for us .....as Medicals just been finalised and hoping to get visa approved any day soon.

Although saying all that, not sure we are ready to put house on market etc until things start picking up with economy, jobs etc. We both work full time and therefore both expect to work full time in Aus. Cannot afford to up sticks and be unemployed (not many people can) especially with 2 young children. So even with visa - will be staying put for now.

Glad you started this Thread - will be interesting to find out who - if anyone - is being offered jobs.

Amanda :)

Agreed, I have looked at countless web sites and mentioned on another thread that every job advertised seems to state that you need to be a permanent resident to apply. Seems a bit of a catch 22 when they like you to have a job offer but no one will give you one unless you have PR status.

Little Lisa 1971 May 14th 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Chris,

My husband is a Roofer Slater & Tiler (MODL) we are just starting the process of collecting all the paperwork needed for AQF3 (learnt trade on the job)& TRA. We are with an agent and were going on 175 until a week after we handed a load of cash to them we were told 175 could take forever as CSL removed so are going to try SS 176 when we eventually get to that stage!

If there are any Roofers reading this thread a bit of advice on what documents are needed for AQF3 & TRA would be greatfully received:thumbsup:

We have collected all previous job references, Client and Supplier letters (3 of each) and a letter from our accountant stating OH works as a Roofer (Ltd company so he is classed as an employee). But don't know what else they will want!! will they want proof he is a director of Ltd Company? will they require proof of turnover? Any advice at all would be great as a lot of people say they are sending 100 plus pages!

Thanks

Little Lisa:)

daddyoconnor May 14th 2009 3:16 pm

Any advice at all would be great as a lot of people say they are sending 100 plus pages!

Thanks

Little Lisa:)[/QUOTE]

Hi Little Lisa

Can't give you any advice on what your husband needs to send but to be honest I wouldn't take too much notice of or worry about people saying that they are sending 100 or so pages worth....

We certainly didn't send that much documentation - and, like you, reading other peoples posts I started panicking thinking we hadn't sent enough.

Think of it as "its not the quanitity but quality of what you send" as long as all the information is there in the certificates, references etc then that is all you will need.

Hope everything goes okay for you. :):)

zippyderbyuk May 14th 2009 3:37 pm

Hi all
other half Dave is 4112-13 Metal Machinist (First Class)

We did the TRA bit ourselves!
Then Feb? started to submit 175 online and like daddyoconnor we were short on points. So after advice from an agent we switched to 176 QLD SS.
We are using an agent, our relationship has been a bit 'complicated' lol and my dads was given just a few months to live the day we sent our TRA, so the agent has taken the pressure off me investigating the visa process when I have other stresses going on. She just asks me for stuff and I send it!!

Our QLD SS is being processed at the mo.:fingerscrossed:

Dave did speak with a few engineering companies around Brisbane, he didn't pick up enough bad vibes re. job market to put him off going for it!

Good luck to all Tradies:thumbup:

debs..........and dave...but he's asleep as he works nights..boooo:thumbdown:

Dennis74 May 14th 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by chrisling (Post 7570631)
Seems to be a whole heap of threads on here about IT, accountants and the like but not much on the progress of the guys and girls who get their hands dirty. No doubt many of you like me, were and now aren't on the CSL so what's your plan of attack now? Has anyone non CSL been granted a visa recently or maybe like me you are now heading down the SS route. Have you been lucky enough to have found a job offer? Cmon tradies, lets hear your view on things. I am ASCO 4112-11 Fitter by the way.

Chris.

Hi Chris, this thread's a great idea :)
I applied for 175 one week before the CSL-crunch - so at least I know how it feels like, beeing on the CSL ;)
I joined the stampede some weeks ago and applied for a Qld SS and since then I'm hovering around the mailbox.

I'm checking the job ads from time to time (using Seek and the like) and well, it looks grim at the moment, doesn't it? Most of the few offers require a lot of experience, vehicle+tools or they come from one these recruitment agencies.
I don't want to sound too pessimistic though!

It would be very interesting to hear from tradies who got a visa grant or a ss approval recently.

Dennis

sutty77 May 14th 2009 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dennis74 (Post 7572020)
Hi Chris, this thread's a great idea :)
I applied for 175 one week before the CSL-crunch - so at least I know how it feels like, beeing on the CSL ;)
I joined the stampede some weeks ago and applied for a Qld SS and since then I'm hovering around the mailbox.

I'm checking the job ads from time to time (using Seek and the like) and well, it looks grim at the moment, doesn't it? Most of the few offers require a lot of experience, vehicle+tools or they come from one these recruitment agencies.
I don't want to sound too pessimistic though!

It would be very interesting to hear from tradies who got a visa grant or a ss approval recently.

Dennis

Hi all

Hubby a brickie, applied 175 august last year. So as you can guess the situation, we are now going for ss 176 for south australia. We sent this earlier this month. We originally planned on going to qlds, but no brickies on sponsor list any more, so we had no option but to choose another state.
And we wanted to be gone this year anyway. It has took us 6 years to get to were we are now.
Heard that work not to bad in SA. so fingers crossed we will be ok.
We are family of 5, 3 daughters aged 12, 10 and 1. Cant wait till get there now.

charlie rara May 14th 2009 4:54 pm

chippy 4411-13.
just submitting now on 175 maybe will do the 176 ss not sure yet. as there in as much trouble as we are i see no point in rushing over there to no work when i have a full diary till at least oct ( im a lucky 1 i guess).
no point in selling up £30k light than 18 months ago so happy to chill and see how things pan out , but im still very much focused on riding my lambretta up and down the qld coast , in the sun , supping a cold bottle :cool:

betheresoon May 14th 2009 4:56 pm

hi all,

just instructed agent to start the ball rolling in 475. just the small matter of an aqf 3 in landscape gardening in the way, waiting for the list of requirement from ATA then all systems go. i've been self employed for the past 5 years with 10 yrs exp previous to that but no formal training and not a single certificate. so should be fun:fingerscrossed:

OZERJON May 14th 2009 5:32 pm

Hi guys

We applied 23rd august 08 on 175 since. Jumped onto the ss train and we are still waiting. App was sent 28th may 09 so hopping it,s going to be soon.

OZERJON May 14th 2009 5:33 pm

Hi guys

We applied 23rd august 08 on 175 . Jumped onto the ss train and we are still waiting. App was sent 28th may 09 so hopping it,s going to be soon.

chrisling May 14th 2009 7:20 pm

Wow, quite a response since I've been at work. Glad to know I'm not alone in the trades wilderness. When I was over in Oz in October last it seemed they couldn't get enough skilled workers then, BANG almost overnight the recession did it's stuff and here we all are in limbo land. I got an email from Queensland the other day acknowledging my SS application so I seem to be in the waiting boat again. I checked yesterday and fitter is still on the list so fingers crossed.
Great to hear from you all, keep posting and maybe some of us might meet up someday in that far distant land, if not on a job then maybe for a beer.

Good luck everyone.

Chris.

charlie rara May 14th 2009 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by chrisling (Post 7572571)
Wow, quite a response since I've been at work. Glad to know I'm not alone in the trades wilderness. When I was over in Oz in October last it seemed they couldn't get enough skilled workers then, BANG almost overnight the recession did it's stuff and here we all are in limbo land. I got an email from Queensland the other day acknowledging my SS application so I seem to be in the waiting boat again. I checked yesterday and fitter is still on the list so fingers crossed.
Great to hear from you all, keep posting and maybe some of us might meet up someday in that far distant land, if not on a job then maybe for a beer.

Good luck everyone.

Chris.

BEER !!!! im in

shafanm May 15th 2009 2:22 am

Hi Glade to join this thread.
applied on 2nd march 09 on 175, ( Cook ) and applied for SS with WA and awaiting for results,

Disappointed with what has become of MODL, because in December 2008 we were the most sought after but since then we've been relegated to the bottom of the ladder and further obstacles has been placed for future tradies applicants by increasing IELTS threshold.

It seems like application of tradies on MODL will not even begin to process until Dec 2009, unless you are armed with a SS.