Wikiposts

Trade Skills Question

Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

cooltt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trade Skills Question

Hi All
I've read mountains of information over the past few weeks around this topic but i just need something clearing up.

Many have said that although you can be a certified Electrician in the UK this means nothing in Australia since you still have to undergo their electrical training and exams etc...

If this is the case what is the point of applying for a visa using this as your "Skill"? What is the point of proving you are an electrician and have worked for X amount of years as one if you have to start from scratch when you get there. I'm struggling to understand the logic in this or have i got it all wrong.

My other questions is if my gf is a nurse and applies as such, do i just go down on the application as her partner and don't have to prove a required skill etc?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 11:54 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trade Skills Question

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasure to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Australia can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can see your point about "skills" - but I guess if you want to come here then that's the way it is. I am not an electrician but I think you will find that working practices here are VERY different and will probably make you shudder - but again, that's the way it is.

One small example - no ring mains "but we keep our runs short" - also it's only 10 amps.

Alistair.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:46 am

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cooltt
Hi All
I've read mountains of information over the past few weeks around this topic but i just need something clearing up.

Many have said that although you can be a certified Electrician in the UK this means nothing in Australia since you still have to undergo their electrical training and exams etc...

If this is the case what is the point of applying for a visa using this as your "Skill"? What is the point of proving you are an electrician and have worked for X amount of years as one if you have to start from scratch when you get there. I'm struggling to understand the logic in this or have i got it all wrong.

My other questions is if my gf is a nurse and applies as such, do i just go down on the application as her partner and don't have to prove a required skill etc?

Thanks in advance.
you are right about skills, and as Alistair has said, that's the way the system works. You prove your skills good for migration purposes only, it does not guarantee a job and sometimes requires you to have additional education and exams to actually become employable in your occupation.

As to your other question re. nursing - same thing may apply actually, I am just not sure, but someone will be around to help.

In any case, only one of the partners has to prove the skills, the other does have to only to add extra points, if you are falling short on the points test.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

cjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nicecjgoodall is just really nice

hi cooltt,

I'm an electrician and was assessed prior to applying and agree with you regarding the training, I would look into your partner applying because it will be cheaper as she will not be trade assessed saving you at least a £1000. When i applied i went to australia house on a open day and 90% of the employers there where from the health departments so she would probably get sponsors easily
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cooltt
Hi All

Thanks in advance.
If your gf is UK Trained, fully registered and has been registered for a couple of years then it would make much more sense for her to be the primary applicant. Nursing is still very much in demand here and is without a doubt one of easiest jobs to find work with or sponsorship in Australia.

However you will still have the problem that as a UK sparkie your qualifications etc are worth f-all here [probably because in the Southern Hemisphere the current flows in the opposite direction...]