TRA skills what do they want?????

Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:40 am
Just Joined

thebrowns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA skills what do they want?????

Does anyone know what the TRA require of a carpenter under carpenter and joiner. Does anyone know the right answers because I dont even know the questions.
This fitting yourself into one box affair is so hard to do when in England we seem to be the other way emplorers / firms like you to be broad based in your skill's etc.

Anyone got any adv.Good or Bad?
Old Jul 29th 2003, 8:16 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We had my hubby's skills assessed by tra for carpenter joiner. ask some specific questions and i'll help if i can!

good luck
Old Jul 29th 2003, 9:13 am
Jaj

Default Re: TRA skills what do they want?????

If you're completely lost, you really need to consider hiring an agent
with experience of TRA assessments to help you.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:40:04 +0000, thebrowns wrote:
    >Does anyone know what the TRA require of a carpenter under carpenter and
    >joiner. Does anyone know the right answers because I dont even know the
    >questions.
    >This fitting yourself into one box affair is so hard to do when in
    >England we seem to be the other way emplorers / firms like you to be
    >broad based in your skill's etc.
    >Anyone got any adv.Good or Bad?
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Jul 29th 2003, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Default TRA TRA TRA TRA rta tar zzzz TRA TRA!

Originally posted by yvsie
Hi,

We had my hubby's skills assessed by tra for carpenter joiner. ask some specific questions and i'll help if i can!

good luck
Well cant sleep anymore yvsie head is numb etc, etc, zzzzz, sorry did I drop off, puttin posts on at 2 am is not a good idea!

I have an agent GO Matilda and am trying to get through a pre skill assesment I am self emp and do two jobs in one! Ie i have two main clients one in engineering ( i have a betec apprenticeship in this) which i have been pre skilled on and the man from "Del monte He say no".
Although here in england I am a Engineering Mechanical fitter this skill does not appear to be on the wanted list........

SO..
My main part of my job is a carpenter which i have no formal qualification in but have been doing for over 10 years self employed.... we are trying on a 139 visa des area sponsor, thus
The agents have asked if I can give them more detail on this side of the work, ie materials used tools, time per week etc, this is not a problem as this can also be upheld by my clients.

Trouble is how many times can u say elec screw driver biscuit jointer, chop saw,nail gun compressor, levels, scribe, bevel, etc etc. oh and i forgot Gripfill!
I dont see how this is going to ascertain my skill.

If i were saying things like fitting door sets chopping in locks fitting kitchens bedrooms lounges, 2nd fix etc. I could understand.
We do manufacture furniture but not all the time we do fit doors but not all the time , we do fit kitchens but not all the time, we do assemble furniture but not all the time we are carpenters but not all the time but for all of these at least 20 hours a week! if not 70 hours.

Last edited by thebrowns; Jul 29th 2003 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2003, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

i have had my tra back, i went as painter and decorator although i am really a builder and decorator, just concentrate on being a simple carpenter. list all your tools on 1 sheet work experience on another and how u do your job ( simple Carpentry ) first and second fixing.
i also took photos of me working ,up the scaffold and my van.
if you need a copy of my tra email me at [email protected].
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Jaj
If you're completely lost, you really need to consider hiring an agent
with experience of TRA assessments to help you.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:40:04 +0000, thebrowns wrote:
    >Does anyone know what the TRA require of a carpenter under carpenter and
    >joiner. Does anyone know the right answers because I dont even know the
    >questions.
    >This fitting yourself into one box affair is so hard to do when in
    >England we seem to be the other way emplorers / firms like you to be
    >broad based in your skill's etc.
    >Anyone got any adv.Good or Bad?
    >--

Jaj,

Thanks for your respo. I do have an agent but do you know any good ones as i think mine is already P**! O** with me and my many questions, I need somebody that specializes in difficult unclear cases not just dentistist ,doctors, nurses etc. They are desp for these skills but so is all the world! Anyone got suggestions for an agent for the building trades???????
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Hi there

I have just spent the last 6 months getting my partners stuff together to prove that he is a Carpenter/Joiner. It followed hefty research etc before I decided to go it alone as opposed to using an agent. (purely to save on costs). However, I asked a migration agent - George Lombard to review all my documentation before submitting to TRA and he did this for a minimal cost. It therefore gave me confidence that I had submitted sufficient documentation to receive a positive assessment. You could always speak to him (or email). He is excellent and very efficient.

Our application consisted of a 10 page personal statement which basically covered a varied of jobs/projects that my partner had worked on. Anything from laying floors, building exhibition stands, through to extensions and individual furniture commissions. It was really very basic and went in to great detail. All the references were similiar (but shorter). Photo's of work carried out were also sent. Ours was probably longer as at the beg. of this year, he set up a limited company and went self-employed!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further info.

Cheers, Troood
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Troood
Hi there

I have just spent the last 6 months getting my partners stuff together to prove that he is a Carpenter/Joiner. It followed hefty research etc before I decided to go it alone as opposed to using an agent. (purely to save on costs). However, I asked a migration agent - George Lombard to review all my documentation before submitting to TRA and he did this for a minimal cost. It therefore gave me confidence that I had submitted sufficient documentation to receive a positive assessment. You could always speak to him (or email). He is excellent and very efficient.

Our application consisted of a 10 page personal statement which basically covered a varied of jobs/projects that my partner had worked on. Anything from laying floors, building exhibition stands, through to extensions and individual furniture commissions. It was really very basic and went in to great detail. All the references were similiar (but shorter). Photo's of work carried
out were also sent. Ours was probably longer as at the beg. of this year, he set up a limited company and went self-employed!

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further info.

Cheers, Troood
Troood thanks for that,

nice to get some positive vibes from the hands on fraternity
Pics seem to be wht everybody is talking about.
where these action shots or finished product?
my agent is still painting a grey picture.
U say U went into great detail may I be so bold to ask what and how do U describe a job that comes naturaly and u tend to do without thinking? Did U use an agent? I am trying to go as a carpenter not carpenter joiner although under the same heading.
Our family a so keen for us to Migrate and have offered every sort of assistance but via our Agent we seem to B Failing them so badly at the moment we love Oz so much and hope we wont have to work like Bees to keep surviving!

Thanks again Troood.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:56 pm
Jaj

One of the other posters mentioned George Lombard. You could also try
Glenn Newton - http://www.alms.com.au

Is your current agent registered?

Jeremy

>On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:52:54 +0000, thebrowns wrote:
    >Our family a so keen for us to Migrate and have offered every sort of
    >assistance but via our Agent we seem to B Failing them so badly at the
    >moment we love Oz so much and hope we wont have to work like Bees to
    >keep surviving!
    >Thanks again Troood.
    >--

Old Jul 31st 2003, 5:57 am
R.Bartlett

> Is your current agent registered?

did he not mention 'go maltilda'?

cheers

richard

> > >--
    > >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction

Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:21 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by R.Bartlett
    > Is your current agent registered?

did he not mention 'go maltilda'?

cheers

richard

> > >--
    > >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction
Thanks Guys

Yes they are both registered inc the two that U mention.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Good morning - logged on today to see that TRA have emailed me an acknowledgement to our skills assessment. At least I know they've got it and it is being processed so fingers and toes crossed.

Now then, on to your questions.

Photo's were taken at various stages of any particular job. For example - Paul (thats my partner) built a large outside kennel, so we took photo's at different stages of the build. Then under the photo we wrote out how he did it and what materials and tools he used. The same again for fitting a kitchen and laying a floor. The references from clients or past employees also referred to some of these photo's.

If you give me your personal email I can send you some sample references etc so you can see the detail.

I decided not to use an agent. After many phone calls and attending Emigrate 03 exhibition I felt that with the help of this site I could do it myself and save some money. However, I did send all the information I had collated to George Lombard in Oz (migration agent) to review prior to submitting to TRA. Simply for peace of mind and to make sure I had covered everything that TRA would need. He came back with a few suggestions but nothing major and sent the pack off to TRA for me. I would definetely recommend him - really nice guy, very quick at responding and fingers crossed now I should hopefully hear back from TRA by the end of August.

Don't get disheartened by it all. If I can hold down a full time stressful job, bring up a 17 month old child and get my husband to sit down each night going in to great detail about his job and skills, then anyone can. It's not easy admittedly, but the end result will hopefully be worth it.

Good luck again :-)

Originally posted by thebrowns
Troood thanks for that,

nice to get some positive vibes from the hands on fraternity
Pics seem to be wht everybody is talking about.
where these action shots or finished product?
my agent is still painting a grey picture.
U say U went into great detail may I be so bold to ask what and how do U describe a job that comes naturaly and u tend to do without thinking? Did U use an agent? I am trying to go as a carpenter not carpenter joiner although under the same heading.
Our family a so keen for us to Migrate and have offered every sort of assistance but via our Agent we seem to B Failing them so badly at the moment we love Oz so much and hope we wont have to work like Bees to keep surviving!

Thanks again Troood.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 6:39 pm
Brisbane

Trayla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi trood,

I am just starting my husbands TRA, he is a metal machinist. A bit different to a carpenter but I am having to do exactly the same as you.

I do not have a clue about his job, but with lots of questioning I think we are finally getting the breakdown that is required.

My Hubby was worried that we were going into too much detail (I think he is trying to get out of it), but from what I have read from your post, i don't we good ever to do much.

I would be grateful of an example so I can show the type of thing we need. I'll mail you my address.

thanks,

Tracey
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:19 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by thebrowns
Does anyone know what the TRA require of a carpenter under carpenter and joiner. Does anyone know the right answers because I dont even know the questions.
This fitting yourself into one box affair is so hard to do when in England we seem to be the other way emplorers / firms like you to be broad based in your skill's etc.

Anyone got any adv.Good or Bad?
Hey looking through our application I found the link our agent advised us to look at it's a Canadian web site but it gives accurate descriptions of individual occupations. You will have to write a long description of the work you actually do and the tools you use to do these jobs. To give you some idea I wrote the equivalent of a short story detailing every aspect of my work [I'm a brickie] from setting out footings to building gables, stacks, arches etc. plus a little about the power tools and various hand tools I use. It's a lot of writing but our tra was back within a month approved. Here's the link to your trade:
http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/7271.shtml
Sean.....
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Troood
Good morning - logged on today to see that TRA have emailed me an acknowledgement to our skills assessment. At least I know they've got it and it is being processed so fingers and toes crossed.

Now then, on to your questions.

Photo's were taken at various stages of any particular job. For example - Paul (thats my partner) built a large outside kennel, so we took photo's at different stages of the build. Then under the photo we wrote out how he did it and what materials and tools he used. The same again for fitting a kitchen and laying a floor. The references from clients or past employees also referred to some of these photo's.

If you give me your personal email I can send you some sample references etc so you can see the detail.

I decided not to use an agent. After many phone calls and attending Emigrate 03 exhibition I felt that with the help of this site I could do it myself and save some money. However, I did send all the information I had collated to George Lombard in Oz (migration agent) to review prior to submitting to TRA. Simply for peace of mind and to make sure I had covered everything that TRA would need. He came back with a few suggestions but nothing major and sent the pack off to TRA for me. I would definetely recommend him - really nice guy, very quick at responding and fingers crossed now I should hopefully hear back from TRA by the end of August.

Don't get disheartened by it all. If I can hold down a full time stressful job, bring up a 17 month old child and get my husband to sit down each night going in to great detail about his job and skills, then anyone can. It's not easy admittedly, but the end result will hopefully be worth it.

Good luck again :-)
Hi Trood
could you email me to let me know when you get your TRA back, we submitted ours on 23rd June, have had acknowledgment via our agent but nothing from the TRA yet!
my email add is [email protected]
be interesting to know when yours comes back
with regards and good luck
rach

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.