British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   too much money for 176/absolutely impossible (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/too-much-money-176-absolutely-impossible-663656/)

Bermudashorts Apr 13th 2010 9:12 am

Re: too much money for 176/absolutely impossible

Originally Posted by ronnie98 (Post 8491798)
I have 176 and a few freinds I know, no one had to prove funds we didnt have much until the house sold, :thumbup:

Yes we know some states ask for proof of funds and others don't. You haven't mentioned which state you applied to?

surhythms Apr 13th 2010 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8490326)
I think $25k could disappear in no time if it took a few months to get a job. But yes, certainly a young couple who are perhaps not fussy about where they live initially would get by a lot more easily than a family.

We just applied for Ss for the ACT and we had to show the equivalent of AUD 40,000 in our bank account (there is 3 of us moving). We also did a budgeting statement for the ACT and based on us not getting jobs within the first 6 months etc etc that money will just dissapear!

I can understand why the states want you to have money to bring with you. Afterall when you are on a 176 I dont think you can claim state benefits anyway can you? Not that this is our intention because it is not.

To be honest if the Irish Government werent as loose allowing people into the country with absolutely no money we would not be in as much of a mess as we are in as a country. There are people who come to Ireland from other countries and I have to say they work really really hard and dont claim from the state. Others do! and I guess it is the same everywhere.

I know SA only require you to have a certain amount of cash funds and I think WA are the same.

Do you not think that part of the SMP's it WILL require people to show that they have "X" amount of money to get to CAT 2?

I know it may sound impossible to ask for this amount of money but yes migrating is REALLY expensive and I cant blame the states looking for proof of funds. Actually I think it is a very good idea.

Suzanne

BuckarooBanzai May 14th 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8492209)
Yes we know some states ask for proof of funds and others don't. You haven't mentioned which state you applied to?

Which states would that be? As far as I know (now) ALL states ask for proof of funds without any exception.
Where do you know about what you have stated? I am absolutely interested to know.:huh::huh:

Bermudashorts May 14th 2010 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai (Post 8565124)
Which states would that be? As far as I know (now) ALL states ask for proof of funds without any exception.
Where do you know about what you have stated? I am absolutely interested to know.:huh::huh:

I am not an encyclopedia of the different state requirements and have no intention of looking them up to pass your little challenge.

I have seen plenty of people say they have not been asked to provide proof of funds and thus was advising the OP to clarify which state he was applying to so that he could get better advise from people that had applied to that state.

BuckarooBanzai May 14th 2010 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by surhythms (Post 8492334)

I know it may sound impossible to ask for this amount of money but yes migrating is REALLY expensive and I cant blame the states looking for proof of funds. Actually I think it is a very good idea.

Suzanne

That is your opinion. But believe me with 25k I would not even need to work in Australia for a whole year - and would have a good life. I can tell from my own experience. I have been in Australia for a whole year and with much less money to start - I had about 3000 A$ and only a workand holiday visa which restricted me to work for only 3 months for one employer - so my chances were a lot smaller than they would be if I would be a permanent resident.
In my eyes it is just unfair to demand that amount of money. It just is not necessary - at least not for people like me, who are young, healthy, completely independent and therefore flexible and not to forget with an occupation which is in desperate need.

cheers:frown:

BuckarooBanzai May 14th 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8565153)
I am not an encyclopedia of the different state requirements and have no intention of looking them up to pass your little challenge.

I have seen plenty of people say they have not been asked to provide proof of funds and thus was advising the OP to clarify which state he was applying to so that he could get better advise from people that had applied to that state.

So than it would be better that you think about the meaning of the words "know" and "guess",wouldn`t it?:blink:

Bermudashorts May 14th 2010 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai (Post 8565158)
That is your opinion. But believe me with 25k I would not even need to work in Australia for a whole year - and would have a good life.

If you could live on $25k a year and have a good life, then your opinion of what constitutes a good life is without a doubt dramatically different to anything most normal people would want.

I cannot see how $25k would last for much more than the first couple of months, especially with the initial outgoings like rental bond and buying a car.

Pollyana May 14th 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai (Post 8565158)
That is your opinion. But believe me with 25k I would not even need to work in Australia for a whole year - and would have a good life. I can tell from my own experience. I have been in Australia for a whole year and with much less money to start - I had about 3000 A$ and only a workand holiday visa which restricted me to work for only 3 months for one employer - so my chances were a lot smaller than they would be if I would be a permanent resident.
In my eyes it is just unfair to demand that amount of money. It just is not necessary - at least not for people like me, who are young, healthy, completely independent and therefore flexible and not to forget with an occupation which is in desperate need.

cheers:frown:

They won't tailor their requirements to each individual though, they have to allow for the fact that many people moving will have a family - kids to provide for, education to contribute to, etc.

tiredwithtwins May 14th 2010 7:56 pm

the changes to requirements usually appear to be done to reflect ongoing problems with past applicants ie too many are going to aus without enough money to support themselves regardless of if its just them, or a couple with 8 kids ... the changes are done to protect the australian economy and the wannabee-migrant - i for one wont go unless ive got enough financial support for the first year (as a fellow nurse i can sympathise) and its madness to think that in todays economic climate that you can just walk into a job! even as a nurse.
get real and get over it - its a regulation you have to comply with, and far from being unfair, in your case its just hard luck.

stop complaining and get saving like the rest of us :sneaky:

erco May 15th 2010 1:33 am

In WA, when we applied for SS last year there was no minimum requirement. Just like other states they ask what assets/money you have. Then when we were accepted the SS stated the amount of money we entered on the form. Though no proof was ever asked for in any way and we moved out here earlier this year.

Bermudashorts May 15th 2010 7:27 am

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai (Post 8565165)
So than it would be better that you think about the meaning of the words "know" and "guess",wouldn`t it?:blink:

What is with your hostility? :huh:

I know that some people have not been asked to provide funds, I have not guessed. Anyway so what if you would prefer I used a different word, get over it, leave me alone and find something a bit more constructive to do with your time like carrying out some research rather than pick fights over nothing with strangers on the internet.

steve_kelly_and_boys May 15th 2010 11:11 am

we received s/s for victoria in june last year

when we applied for it on the form it asked how much money / collateral we had

we were never asked to prove it though