Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

too much money for 176/absolutely impossible

too much money for 176/absolutely impossible

Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

BuckarooBanzai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default too much money for 176/absolutely impossible

Hi people,

I am a registered nurse wanting to apply for pr in Australia.
With the new changes I am not able anymore to apply for the 175 since I cannot make the passmark of 120 points.
Now, I have read a lot of times that there is still the option to apply for a 176 visa because the passmark there is only 100, which I would get.
But one of the requirements of the 176 is to get either family or state sponsorship. As I do not have any family down under I need to go for state sponsorship. Which leads me to the requirement (if I did understand it right) of the necessary financial funds to get sponsored by any state at all. The BASIC financial requirement for one applicant is 25.000 A$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the ****ing hell! Where should one get that heap of bucks from. I mean I am a (underpaid) nurse and not a bank manager or soccer player. The pay is one of the reasons to go to Australia.
And with demanding that amount of money no matter which occupation and its wage would in my eyes a bit contrary, wouldn`t it?

My actual question is, does everyone has to have that amount of money to get state sponsorship, or is it only for special applicants?
Well, if the first one is the case then that leaves a lot of urgently needed nurses (and of course other occupations) behind, don`t you think?

Please tell me that I just confused something otherwise that would have been it for the likes of me.

cheers and thanks in advance

Last edited by BuckarooBanzai; Apr 12th 2010 at 1:29 pm. Reason: minor mistakes
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: too much money for 176/absolutely impossible

It is only some of the states that have a proof of funds requirement, I am not sure which, you may have to trawl through the various websites to find out. Or of course I am sure other people on BE that have been down the SS route will come along shortly and say which do and which do not.

I think your outrage is a bit OTT though. Emmigrating is an expensive business and it is highly advisable for most to have some funds available. Being a nurse, you will probably be quite lucky and find work quickly, however it is not so easy for many other people and thus having funds to survive on in those early months is essential. There are a lot of initial expenses too, rental bond, car etc. I am damn sure I would not be contemplating going over if $25k was all I had behind me.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Specific to Victoria I covered their website and frequently asked questions fairly thorougly and nowhere did I see an actual numerical amount. I can't speak for the other States though. I hope its not $25k Aus though, as my girlfriend lodged her 176 with Victoria on April 6th and very honestly put down $23,400 Aus, although that literally is now, and she could quite easily have put down the figure she'll have in 6 months time when you would think the visa would be given (if at all), which will definitely be in excess of $25k Aus.

If anyone has successfully lodged a 176 stating amounts less than $25k Aus I'd be interested to hear? As I'm a bit worried now....
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:31 pm
Shafaqat Ali

shafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of lightshafaqat309 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai
Hi people,

With the new changes I am not able anymore to apply for the 175 since I cannot make the passmark of 120 points.
Now, I have read a lot of times that there is still the option to apply for a 176 visa because the passmark there is only 100, which I would get.
But one of the requirements of the 176 is to get either family or state sponsorship. As I do not have any family down under I need to go for state sponsorship. Which leads me to the requirement (if I did understand it right) of the necessary financial funds to get sponsored by any state at all. The BASIC financial requirement for one applicant is 25.000 A$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the ****ing hell! Where should one get that heap of bucks from. I mean I am a (underpaid) nurse and not a bank manager or soccer player. The pay is one of the reasons to go to Australia.
And with demanding that amount of money no matter which occupation and its wage would in my eyes a bit contrary, wouldn`t it?

My actual question is, does everyone has to have that amount of money to get state sponsorship, or is it only for special applicants?
Well, if the first one is the case then that leaves a lot of urgently needed nurses (and of course other occupations) behind, don`t you think?

Please tell me that I just confused something otherwise that would have been it for the likes of me.

I can speak for Queensland and ACT, they will not offer you sponsorship if you don't show said amount in your bank, no notary statement or assets declarations will work, my friend has applied for Victoria and he doesn't has this much amount, he is still in process waiting for the result, there is a thread for "Victoria Sponsorship" for Vic state related matters.

I tried to send assets declarations but they refused and asked for actual Bank Statement.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

cash money is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuartsummers1980
Specific to Victoria I covered their website and frequently asked questions fairly thorougly and nowhere did I see an actual numerical amount. I can't speak for the other States though. I hope its not $25k Aus though, as my girlfriend lodged her 176 with Victoria on April 6th and very honestly put down $23,400 Aus, although that literally is now, and she could quite easily have put down the figure she'll have in 6 months time when you would think the visa would be given (if at all), which will definitely be in excess of $25k Aus.

If anyone has successfully lodged a 176 stating amounts less than $25k Aus I'd be interested to hear? As I'm a bit worried now....
The amount for Victorian sponsorship is not stated but it will be good for a migrant to at least have the base amount of 25k to cover for settling in expenses and not to become a destitute.It's just my opinion.....
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

stuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura aboutstuartsummers1980 has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm, I hardly think someone with in and around albeit less than $25k Aus is likely to be "destitute". I guess individual circumstances apply, ie a family may need in excess of that to settle, but not a couple aged 30. In fact a couple coming over with no dependants would do just fine with $16,500 minimum I would say.

In response to another post on this thread, I've been on that Victoria 176 thread, but its difficult to find the info you want as about a million people have posted, and even some non-Victoria postings have been made just to muddy the water even more! (and before any smart arses tell me to put in a keyword like "funds" I already did without lucrative result).

So if there are any successful Victoria 176 visa people out there who can tell us how much they had and put down on their original application that would be great. No speculators please. I've noticed a lot of things posted on British Expats as replies are bordering on guesswork!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, I hardly think someone with in and around albeit less than $25k Aus is likely to be "destitute". I guess individual circumstances apply, ie a family may need in excess of that to settle, but not a couple aged 30. In fact a couple coming over with no dependants would do just fine with $16,500 minimum I would say.
I think $25k could disappear in no time if it took a few months to get a job. But yes, certainly a young couple who are perhaps not fussy about where they live initially would get by a lot more easily than a family.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In response to another post on this thread, I've been on that Victoria 176 thread, but its difficult to find the info you want as about a million people have posted, and even some non-Victoria postings have been made just to muddy the water even more! (and before any smart arses tell me to put in a keyword like "funds" I already did without lucrative result).

So if there are any successful Victoria 176 visa people out there who can tell us how much they had and put down on their original application that would be great. No speculators please. I've noticed a lot of things posted on British Expats as replies are bordering on guesswork!
If you only want facts, not opinions or guesswork, then internet forums are not the best place to do research as that is what they are based on
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai
Hi people,

A lot of nurses (probably the majority) come to Aus via the 457 route, sponsored by hospitals not by the State, and then convert to PR onshore via the ENS, again sponsored by the hospital. Have you looked at his at all? No proof of funds required.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Polyanna, but I think whether a posting response is factual or just opinion would be based on the posting itself and you can’t label forums specifically as one thing or another. If someone puts up a question asking for specific detail/experiences relating to visas and immigration then the only useful replies will be the ones dealing in fact and the “been there done that” side of things. If someone put up a posting like “what state should I live in?” then yes of course that’s just an off the cuff place for opinions and not necessarily hard facts.

If anything the Immigration, Visas and Citizenship section is the one part of the British Expats website that needs to deal as close to if not entirely in fact. Opinions and guesswork are best saved for other parts of the website that don’t deal in such serious issues.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:30 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks Polyanna, but I think whether a posting response is factual or just opinion would be based on the posting itself and you can’t label forums specifically as one thing or another. If someone puts up a question asking for specific detail/experiences relating to visas and immigration then the only useful replies will be the ones dealing in fact and the “been there done that” side of things. If someone put up a posting like “what state should I live in?” then yes of course that’s just an off the cuff place for opinions and not necessarily hard facts.

If anything the Immigration, Visas and Citizenship section is the one part of the British Expats website that needs to deal as close to if not entirely in fact. Opinions and guesswork are best saved for other parts of the website that don’t deal in such serious issues.
WE do try and keep "chat" out of the immigration forum, but to keep opinions out and restrict it purely to facts would be impossible - and would turn it into a wiki rather than a forum
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A lot of nurses (probably the majority) come to Aus via the 457 route, sponsored by hospitals not by the State, and then convert to PR onshore via the ENS, again sponsored by the hospital. Have you looked at his at all? No proof of funds required.
And quite a few go straight to ENS, and arrive as migrants, no 457 hassles/uncertainty involved.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

ronnie98 will become famous soon enough

I have 176 and a few freinds I know, no one had to prove funds we didnt have much until the house sold,
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:16 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
And quite a few go straight to ENS, and arrive as migrants, no 457 hassles/uncertainty involved.
Yep, if somewhere will sponsor for PR at once, even better
Old Apr 13th 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ronnie98
I have 176 and a few freinds I know, no one had to prove funds we didnt have much until the house sold,
I do get the impression that proof of funds isn't asked for, but unless the Victoria State Sponsorship application has changed recently, they 100% ask you how much you're bringing with you when you're filling it in. I don't know if this is something new?

In any case since the application was lodged where we submitted a figure of $23,400 we've now increased what we have to $25,050 and I think I'm going to get my girlfriend to email Victoria this email. Whether this $25k Aus is hearsay or not, I don't think I'm going to take the risk.

Also I'm wondering if the application has changed actually, as to date no succesful Victoria 176's have come back and commented on what figure they put down when completing their application, so I'm wondering if it never used to be that specific until recently? Perhaps it only used to ask "if you had sufficient funds".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.