Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Old Dec 4th 2008, 7:06 am
  #46  
Forum Regular
 
vlooi's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 205
vlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
Whilst I appreciate that there are some agents that are not quite as honest as they would have you believe, I will say that Alan is a respected agent on here who has got many people through the visa process.

I for one felt safer using an agent as my husband is from a high risk country and had it not been for our agent (George Lombard) and the way in which he presented our case (by far from straight forward), then I am sure we would have not been granted our visa.

Not only by his instruction, but several other things that I wont go in to, our case was complicated, he helped us every step of the way.

Now I have known Alan for a long time, have met him a couple of times and have also met lots of people that have used him for their visas and been perfectly happy with his services.

I think it is disrespectful to question him in this fashion and so publicly when he has given clear answers to the level that he is allowed to without breaking confidentiality.

He is not trying to scare anyone into getting his business, he is not hiding any information, he is telling you how it is. Just because many of you had an easy ride with your visa, it isn't like that for all of us.

I think if you all continue with questioning his motives as an agent or implying his answers are wrong, then why the hell should he post on here?

He gives alot of advice on this site for people and it wasn't that long ago a similar thread was about and both George and Alan stopped posting and many people lost out on the free advice they offered. Please dont let that happen again.

If you want to use an agent then it is your right to do so, if you dont think it necessary, then fine but it isn't fair to question the ethics of the reputable agents that have been established members of this site and are here to help.

WELL SAID!!!
vlooi is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:45 am
  #47  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
jassparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by Suet View Post
any tips that helped you and you think would be helpful for other's would be gratefully received.

we're applying under 175 skilled independent visa and OH is having to produce an RPL as does not hold a diploma in IT which is he's field of occupation.
I applied for a skilled independant 175 visa in september 07 and got my visa granted 2 months ago. I done the whole process myself and providing you have all the necessary paperwork you shouldn't have any problems and i would never pay the high fees agents demand to fill in forms you can do yourself. I had 2 documents missing from my application that i couldn't lay my hands on and i told them this with the application and all i had to do was get a statutory declaration done for them, which i done myself and got witnessed at the solicitors for £5!!

My advice do it yourself.
jassparky is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:49 pm
  #48  
CDM
BE Enthusiast
 
CDM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Under the glow of my new visa
Posts: 629
CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by Professional Princess View Post
Whilst I appreciate that there are some agents that are not quite as honest as they would have you believe, I will say that Alan is a respected agent on here who has got many people through the visa process.

I for one felt safer using an agent as my husband is from a high risk country and had it not been for our agent (George Lombard) and the way in which he presented our case (by far from straight forward), then I am sure we would have not been granted our visa.

Not only by his instruction, but several other things that I wont go in to, our case was complicated, he helped us every step of the way.

Now I have known Alan for a long time, have met him a couple of times and have also met lots of people that have used him for their visas and been perfectly happy with his services.

I think it is disrespectful to question him in this fashion and so publicly when he has given clear answers to the level that he is allowed to without breaking confidentiality.

He is not trying to scare anyone into getting his business, he is not hiding any information, he is telling you how it is. Just because many of you had an easy ride with your visa, it isn't like that for all of us.

I think if you all continue with questioning his motives as an agent or implying his answers are wrong, then why the hell should he post on here?

He gives alot of advice on this site for people and it wasn't that long ago a similar thread was about and both George and Alan stopped posting and many people lost out on the free advice they offered. Please dont let that happen again.

If you want to use an agent then it is your right to do so, if you dont think it necessary, then fine but it isn't fair to question the ethics of the reputable agents that have been established members of this site and are here to help.
With the greatest of respect, this is an open and public forum and everybody has an entitlement to post how they see fit within the rules laid down. As far as I can tell, no rules have been broken so it's innappropriate to request that people stifle their opinions.

There's nothing wrong with healthy debate. Those that don't believe they are able to have their points of view stand up to scrutiny post at their own discretion. Surely it's best that one strengthens their argument rather than call for those apposed to their point of view be silenced?

Personally, I have nothing against Alan or the services he offers. I don't know him personally, and have never had dealings with him. I have no idea of whether he is a good, bad or indifferent migration agent. Neither is it relevant to this discussion. My own issue is with what I perceive to be the use of scaremongering tactics, however intentional or otherwise presented, to bolster the notion that there is a need to hire potentially very expensive migration agents - particularly on the strength of such a weak statement. There are surely much better reasons to advocate the hiring of a migration agent?

- CDM
CDM is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:48 pm
  #49  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Camberwell, Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 781
slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

I have to say I did not see it as scaremongering but telling the facts. And it seems as if this is a mountain out of a molehill.

Surely people coming on here saying 'well, we applied for xxx and we did it ourselves and we got a visa so our advice is go it alone' is far more worthy of criticism than anything else. One person applying for one visa is enough of a reason to say 'go it alone'?

Why do people not understand that every case and every single visa is different, and while many do go it alone, others like the security of having an agent to hold their had, or be available to answer questions. They are each different but given it will virtually always come down to cost, it's then for the individual to assess the value.

Given for many people this is a major life-changing decision, many would probably prefer to incur the charge of an agent knowing they have given it the BEST shot possible.

I think some people are getting a little bit carried away with their thoughts and opinions.

And if it's stats you want, 99% of what I write is bollox.
slipshot is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:43 pm
  #50  
CDM
BE Enthusiast
 
CDM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2001
Location: Under the glow of my new visa
Posts: 629
CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by slipshot View Post
I have to say I did not see it as scaremongering but telling the facts. And it seems as if this is a mountain out of a molehill.
I think the point was that there were no facts being presented. Only anecdotal comments. And I would suggest that several thousand pounds IS a mountain and not a molehill for lots of people.

Originally Posted by slipshot View Post
Surely people coming on here saying 'well, we applied for xxx and we did it ourselves and we got a visa so our advice is go it alone' is far more worthy of criticism than anything else. One person applying for one visa is enough of a reason to say 'go it alone'?
I don't believe anyone has suggested that since they went it alone (without a migration agent), that this is grounds for everyone doing so. And I'm not sure why doing so would make them more worthy of criticism even if they did.

Originally Posted by slipshot View Post
Why do people not understand that every case and every single visa is different, and while many do go it alone, others like the security of having an agent to hold their had, or be available to answer questions. They are each different but given it will virtually always come down to cost, it's then for the individual to assess the value.
No arguments there. Again, this isn't in dispute as far as I can tell.

Originally Posted by slipshot View Post
Given for many people this is a major life-changing decision, many would probably prefer to incur the charge of an agent knowing they have given it the BEST shot possible.
True. But isn't it just as fair to point out that it's perfectly reasonable to apply for a visa without the need for a migration agent and that this is in fact what very many people have done and continue to do?

Originally Posted by slipshot View Post
I think some people are getting a little bit carried away with their thoughts and opinions.
Are they? Not as far as I can see. This is a perfectly reasonable debate as far as I'm concerned.

I honestly don't know why some people here have such a hard time when someone disagrees with someone else.

- CDM
CDM is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:43 pm
  #51  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Brisbane QLD
Posts: 261
sa2oz will become famous soon enoughsa2oz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

[QUOTE=Suet;6961460]any tips that helped you and you think would be helpful for other's would be gratefully received.
QUOTE]
I applied for ours as well a few years ago. I think the choice is this
Do it your self and save money, but read lots of documents (not only booklet 6). If you are good at organising, filing and keeping track you could be OK.

Use a reputable agent who has done many and has a rapore with DIAC and things dont just stop.

I put together the application (my wife is younger and a nurse)
At several occasions things just stopped.
Stage one was a letter saying " we have your application, dont bother us for 6 months. One day after 6 months I emailed and phoned and a few days later we had a request for medicals. After 3 months I contacted them again becuase we were told it could take 3 months to decide.
Then after contacting them AGAIN, we got an email saying they were waiting for childrens passports and birth certificates, which were in the application.
I emailed which pages they were on ( I numbered every page of every document with a thick black marker pen) and emailed copies of the pages. I scanned all the pages prior to sending.
At every communication we seemed to have a different case officer as well!

I think an agent could have had the process wrapped up in 3 months not 10
Due to the delays we had to get updated police clearance certificates because they were going to expire a month or so after the visa would have been granted. We had a house and cars to sell and wanted to complete this.

As Alan says, it can go great, and it can also go bad

Oh one other delay was caused becuase I attempted to pay by credit card. The exchange rate changed enough for the card to be rejected. They posted the whole file back with a note on it. They had been through and put POST IT's on many pages and rearanged the order but did not bother to just email us so I could just tip more money into the credit card. This added 3 weeks before they got it again with a bank cheque in AU$. Again and agent would have communicated ( I would hope anyway)

I also thought incorrectly that the ANC would take care of the registration in QLD. After we had a visa we ahd to get more documents from her employer in South Africa. This was a slip I made that delayed us a bit as well.
sa2oz is offline  
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:58 pm
  #52  
Use time wisely
 
Darren-Debbie's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: far far away
Posts: 413
Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Hi Peeps,

the only way to do it, is the way that you are happy with, there is only one way i would recommend that you dont do it and that is the wrong way.

if you decide to use an agent, pick a registered/ good one. If you decide to do it yourself, check everything is correct and then check again and again until you know it's correct

Darren
Darren-Debbie is offline  
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:15 pm
  #53  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Victoria - The Place To Be
Posts: 897
Safaet will become famous soon enoughSafaet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie View Post
Hi Peeps,

the only way to do it, is the way that you are happy with, there is only one way i would recommend that you don't do it and that is the wrong way.

if you decide to use an agent, pick a registered/ good one. If you decide to do it yourself, check everything is correct and then check again and again until you know it's correct

Darren
Great! Very good suggestion indeed. Till now, I'm processing my application as i have some time to do necessary research!!
You definitely can proceed by yourself if you really have the time and confidence on it.
Safaet is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:25 pm
  #54  
Forum Regular
 
ROYAL_DESIGNER's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 59
ROYAL_DESIGNER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by Safaet View Post
Great! Very good suggestion indeed. Till now, I'm processing my application as i have some time to do necessary research!!
You definitely can proceed by yourself if you really have the time and confidence on it.
Yes...U r right Safaet...I agree with u r opinion..
ONE must need some TIME to do research and shold have confidence on self what they are doing...
But I suggest to have some more filters like good Agents betwenn you and the Processing authority..there is a chance of correction urself in very eraly stage and saving the time (ofcourse VERY imp) & money...at the cost of NO Worries...
ROYAL_DESIGNER is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.