Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:32 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thinking of not using an agent to save money

Originally Posted by Paula_lou
Not that Im sucking up to you or anything lol but I couldnt have done it without my agent at the Visa Bureau! Yes it has cost us an extra £2000, yes it would have made things a lot easier if we hadnt had to pay that but bugger that for a game of soldiers...Id rather hand the stress of making sure its all done right over to someone else

Tbh the thought of not using an agent never even crossed my mind! lol
I'd say that was a very good reason to use an immigration agent :-) It's the scaremongering reasons given above that I have a problem with.

- CDM
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
PS. RobertC: looking at your timeline, yours is one I would definitely be following up, as we have June 2008 applications that have been granted ...
Thanks Alan, we have actually started to make contact to try to nudge DIAC on this but it takes a week for email responses and the phones don't seem to get picked up

We will be ready to move to Oz in around 8 weeks so hopefully we will find a communication method that works in that time.

There are times like this that having an agent can really help but some agents just feed back that you just have to wait your turn and there are several recent posts on this forum which demonstrate that.

At least 8 weeks means 8 chances to get in touch and get things moving but it is frustrating that we can't book flights and finalize all of the little details.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Paula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nice

Originally Posted by CDM
I'd say that was a very good reason to use an immigration agent :-) It's the scaremongering reasons given above that I have a problem with.

- CDM

Personally I didnt see it as scarmemongering and by the person aboves reply neither did he. I saw it as giving advice to give DIAC a nudge because they seem to be dragging there feet. Mayb Im just naive
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

grantvt is on a distinguished road

I have just been through the most frustrating process of my life that has left me both angered and saddened.

I started off using a immigration agent and I terminated my contract with them before I lodged my application with the Department of Immigration and Citerzenship (DIAC) due to a number of reasons I am not going to mention here as I intend to lodge a complaint with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA).

Since then I have applied on my own accord with the DIAC and the agent has threatened to hand me over to attorneys saying I am in breach of contact (even though I have paid all invoices to date) which only further adds to my worries and stress.

That said I have used a number of agents services online (submitting questions and receiving answers from them, obviously at a fee) as well as receiving replies from agents on this forum and I have been more than happy with their services and greatly appreciate their replies and much needed advice.

I think it depends on a number of factors:

1. The complexity of your application to a large extent.
2. Your knowledge of the immigration process.
3. Time you have to prepare, read, check, re-check and submit your applications.
4. Personal issues.
5. Money.

Thankfully money is not too much of a problem for me right now and if I had to do it again I think I would use an immigration agent (not the one I choose first though!) and I still have the greatest respect for immigration agents.

Immigration agents are there to help, without them I am sure many individuals and families would struggle and perhaps not even get their visas and you cannot expect their services for free, they are professionals many of whom are Charted Accountants with high ethical standards.

I believe my case "fell through the cracks" with the agent I used purely because they may have had too many applications to deal with and not paid enough attention to mine.

Having made the choice to do the next step and lodge my application on my own has made me realize that the DIAC offers all the information you need though on http://www.immi.gov.au/ and they are very helpful via email so if it is only money you are worried about then doing it on your own would be ok I assume, if there are other issues I think an immigration agent is useful.

Some agents offer additional services once your visa is granted such as helping with the big move, bank accounts, tax advice, settling in to Australia and so on so you may want to consider that as well.

All I can say is thoroughly investigate the immigration agents you may choose and make sure they are registered with the MARA.

Last edited by grantvt; Dec 3rd 2008 at 1:52 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:38 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Paula_lou
Personally I didnt see it as scarmemongering and by the person aboves reply neither did he. I saw it as giving advice to give DIAC a nudge because they seem to be dragging there feet. Mayb Im just naive
I think you might be. Looked like scaremongering to me and no evidence to back anything up, even after asking for it a couple of times.

There are many legitimate reasons for wanting to use a reputable immigration service but the suggestion that your application may not get processed or simply fall between the cracks with nothing that you can do unless you have engaged an immigration agent just isn't one of them.

- CDM
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Paula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nicePaula_lou is just really nice

Fair enough. but I personally think you may be reading into it a tad too much. He hasnt said that if you dont use an agent its likely you'll fall between the cracks and yr app will be lost, hes said that IF you werent using an agent and that was to happen then you may have problems chasing it up and as a result end up pretty damn stressed...at least if you do have an agent then the agent can do the stressing for you.
But thats how my naive brain read it.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:40 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I think you might be. Looked like scaremongering to me and no evidence to back anything up, even after asking for it a couple of times.

There are many legitimate reasons for wanting to use a reputable immigration service but the suggestion that your application may not get processed or simply fall between the cracks with nothing that you can do unless you have engaged an immigration agent just isn't one of them.

- CDM
What evidence would you like me to provide? You will understand that I am not at liberty to provide names and file references.

Are you doubting my word?

Best regards.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

What evidence would you like me to provide? You will understand that I am not at liberty to provide names and file references.

Are you doubting my word?

Best regards.
Without giving identifiable information is is still possible to provide stats on the cases you mention.

Personally I think immigration agents are good it you lack the confidence and don't want to put in the effort to go it alone. But the vast majority of people do not NEED an agent to get their visa.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

vlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the rough

As an applicant currently experiencing the stress and angst that our application one which "is falling through the cracks", I would not have mind to have somebody like Alan on my side at the moment..., but due to reasons I am not going to discuss on a public forum, I can not make use of his services at present.

I always read and values his comments and find him an exceptional knowledgeable man who always remains a true gentleman on the forums even when under attack.

BTW, I spoke to my own agent today and he made (without me saying anuthing!) more or less the same comments Alan has made earlier on this thread about the problems currently at DIAC...AND my agent had no reason to try and win my business as I am already his client...
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Think i've got involved with discussions like this far too many times for it to be healthy lol.

I'd like to see the stats on the amount of PR visas lodged without an agent and from low risk countries that dont get through. I'd also like to know what the problem here is and if it is actually a problem. We all get an email address to write to should we have any concerns. Telling us we dont is 'scaremongering'.

For those of you who used an agent, how much time did it save you? Did it delay your application? Did you have any less work to do other than filling in a form on a website? Peace of mind? Sure, if you KNOW you are using a competent agent. There are too many that aren't. Thats probably just as risky as going it alone.

If you're on here looking for advice on how to get a visa, you're on the right track to doing it alone.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:18 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige

<snip>

We all get an email address to write to should we have any concerns. Telling us we dont is 'scaremongering'.

<snip>

I am a reasonable chap, but the continued insinuations and inferences are now starting to annoy.

1. Who has suggested that you don't have an email address to raise issues, Nige? In any event, this is not the point at issue.

2. Registered Migration Agents have access to the ASPC (and most likely others within DIAC) in a way that unrepresented applicants don't. That is a fact.

3. Quoting from an email issued to RMAs when a new enquiry service was introduced earlier this year:

"§ This facility is for the use of Australian Registered Migration Agents only;

§ The mailbox is to be only used for post lodgement enquiries relating to their clients;

§ When making an enquiry the following information must be included in the subject line of each enquiry:

> a MARN;
> the client's full name; and
> one other identifier (eg file reference, TRN, Client Id or Request Id)
eg SUBJECT: MARN 12345 Michael Smith CLF2008/123345"

4. I am not permitted to allow the email address to be released into the public domain.

If people continue misquoting me I shall be obliged to ask moderators to intervene. I am happy to enter into reasoned exchanges, but some comments are clearly not being written from a position of informed knowledge, or are tainted by a desire to support a subjective opinion rather than a balanced perspective.

Best regards.

Best regards.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:41 am
Migration Agent

A few examples from the last few days where processing of e-lodged skilled applications appeared to have stalled:

1. Application lodged 30/04/2008. Penals lodged 30/06/2008. Medicals finalised 14/07/2008. Enquiry submitted through RMA only portal 28/11/2008. Visa granted 02/12/2008.

2. Application lodged 22/05/2008. Penals lodged; medicals finalised in October. Enquiry submitted through RMA only portal 25/11/2008. Visas granted 02/12/2008.

3. Application lodged 26/03/2008. Police checks attached to online record on 11/09/2008 and 29/10/2008. Medicals finalised on 10/11/2008. Enquiry submitted through RMA only portal 27/11/2008. Visas granted 02/12/2008.

4. Application lodged 11/04/2008. Police checks attached to online record in May 2008. Documents lost by the ASPC (there appear to have been problems generally at the ASPC during the April/May period with the retention of e-lodged documents). Follow up through RMA only portal 24/11/2008. Asked to resubmit PCCs - done the same day. Visas granted 28/11/2008.

I have many more examples, but I trust the above gives interested persons the general gist of the point made above.

Best regards.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:48 am
Migration Agent

And: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576668

We had an e-lodged subclass 475 application lodged on 24/04/2008 granted earlier this week.

If you were a s/c 475 visa applicant that lodged in January/February/March/April 2008 and had submitted all documents you believe to be required would you be following up your application now? If so, how?

Best regards.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 1:52 am
Migration Agent

And finally - for now at least ... - I would agree with the observation that some advisors are not as pro-active as others.

Onwards!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

And finally - for now at least ... - I would agree with the observation that some advisors are not as pro-active as others.

Onwards!
Alan,
Perhaps you shouldnt be over sensitive. I made the point about the email address because you said applications were not getting lodged correctly. If we have an email address to confirm if it gets lodged or not, where's the problem??? You thinking I'm misquoting you is simply because you have misread MY posts.

Can you give us the stats of the applicants who have lodged apps on their own who have been successful versus the agents success rate? Failing to do so would suggest you have been scaremongering. Also, can you give us an idea of how many competent agents there are versus the bad ones?

its easy to say 'here are some failed apps'. Heres a successful one and in near record time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.