Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

allandeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

Hello All
We're new to the site and our seriously contemplating emigrating to Australia. I seen a migration agent last week and i am eligible. The whole process will cost around £5,000 is this worth paying or should we do it ourselves (is there lots of hassle).?

Also we our looking at the Brisbane area, any advice/info would be appreciated. We plan to holiday/ explore and research at the end of the year.

I am a RMN (mental health nurse) and my Wife is in the Police. Anyone any ideas/ suggestions regarding salaries and vacancies. Also anyone transferred from the Police from the UK to OZ, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Allan n Deb n Jack.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

sarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant futuresarskis has a brilliant future
Default Re: Thinking of emigrating/ any advice or info..

We are doing it ourselves - you are going to have to gather all the documentation and go through everything anyway so why not have a few extra quid to spend when you get there... but if you feel more comfortable going through an agent or have complicated circumstance it is up to you at the end of the day...
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

butterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nicebutterflyprincess is just really nice

Originally Posted by allandeb
Hello All
We're new to the site and our seriously contemplating emigrating to Australia. I seen a migration agent last week and i am eligible. The whole process will cost around £5,000 is this worth paying or should we do it ourselves (is there lots of hassle).?

Also we our looking at the Brisbane area, any advice/info would be appreciated. We plan to holiday/ explore and research at the end of the year.

I am a RMN (mental health nurse) and my Wife is in the Police. Anyone any ideas/ suggestions regarding salaries and vacancies. Also anyone transferred from the Police from the UK to OZ, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
Allan n Deb n Jack.
hi, welcome and good luck if you try this website then i think there was a link on there for police to transfer, www.wa.gov.au but this is western australia, hope all goes well Donna
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 4:58 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Hello All

Many thanks in advance
Allan n Deb n Jack.
Double it and then add another £2,000 honest
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

njek is an unknown quantity at this point

The OP is surely refering to agency fees, not the overall cost
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future

Cost us £2,000 for 5 of us from start to finish, all counted as adults at medical too.
No agent.
Can't see how it would cost so much for OP!!!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

allandeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Now i am confused as some people quote 12k and now 2k. The migration Guy quoted me as follows
registration with the Australian nursing council 600 dollars
Lodgement of the visa 2060 dollars
medicals x 3 between £150-£175
Police checks £10 pp
certification of documents £130
Their processing fees £1595 plus vat.
is there more than this?
thanks
Allan & Deb
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:55 pm
blood pressure so high!!!

silvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nicesilvernightthorn is just really nice

Now i am confused as some people quote 12k and now 2k. The migration Guy quoted me as follows
Police checks £10 pp
is there more than this?
thanks
Allan & Deb
we got caught with this we paid over £3000 just for the agents nothing else! expect to pay meds police visa apps ect
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Karen40 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been quoted £3300 thats with an agent, PM me if you want details of the sgency we are using. I did look into doing it ourselves but for speed and peace of mind decided to go with an agent.
Good Luck
Karen
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

njek is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget shipping costs, which could be approx £3K or more
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Lara_jane is an unknown quantity at this point

I am seriously thinking about not using an agent. I am emigrating on my own on a skilled worker visa. Has anyone done this as a teacher? Could do with advice on a few things.
What exactly do these agents do for all their fees?
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:37 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Police checks £10 pp
is there more than this?
thanks
Allan & Deb

this is a thread that gives some examples,

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515838
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

The migration Guy quoted me as follows
Police checks £10 pp
is there more than this?
thanks
Allan & Deb
That's about what we paid for our application, except the medicals were a little more because of the x-rays. We got it all in writing and that is all we paid, no hidden extra's.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant futureKipsters has a brilliant future

Lara jane, i am a teacher and did the application myself as an agent wanted £2000 before I'd even started.
I was lucky though as I had the time, at first I downloaded wrong forms etc, but with the help of people on this site it is possible to do it yourself.
It cost me £2000 for everything ie TA, medicals, police checks, document certification etc to do for 5 of us.
In the age of the internet and as long as you have the time and answers from helpful people here it is possible. We just couldn't afford the extra £2000 for an agent to help us.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Pom Mummy of Twins - PMT- is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi allandeb,
why not try doing skills assessment part yourself directly with ANMC (google it and follow links), print off application form and send with certified copies of qualification certificates, work refs etc. this costs $645,verification is also needed directly from british NMC costs £34. Then try asking agents for price for assistance with visa process only and their fees are usually reduced. If you know you defo want queensland you also need to register with their nursing board and you could save money by doing that first and then completing ANMC modified skills assessment $290ish. I've learnt all this from the helpful people on this site but search past posts for more details.
best of luck x PMT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.