Wikiposts

Things to do on arrival

Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Bret is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Things to do on arrival

Hi

I know this issue has been covered a hundred times already but can anyone tell me (or direct me to previous post) how you go about things like getting Tax File Numbers and registering with Medicare (and anything elese handy). We arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday and we are a bit spaced out from jetlag. We woke up at 4am this morning- could not get to sleep and then went to sleep (bad I know but could nto resist) at 3pm this afternoon.

Any help would be appreciated

Bret
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:28 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Things to do on arrival

Take a look at this thread, alternatively look in the lifestyle forum.

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=263689
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

KenJan333 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bret
Hi

I know this issue has been covered a hundred times already but can anyone tell me (or direct me to previous post) how you go about things like getting Tax File Numbers and registering with Medicare (and anything elese handy). We arrived in Melbourne on Tuesday and we are a bit spaced out from jetlag. We woke up at 4am this morning- could not get to sleep and then went to sleep (bad I know but could nto resist) at 3pm this afternoon.

Bret
Hi Bret

Try this DIMIA site:-

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/booklets/select/eng.htm

There is a whole lot of info on each state in Oz. Should find what your looking for there.

I'm sure the jetlag will ease soon and you'll be soon settled into the Aussie way of life. Don't they get up really early/go to bed early anyway to catch the daylight hours. I've heard it gets dark at teatime.

Good Luck

Jan
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bret
Hi

Bret
Hi Bret
Hope your'e enjoying Melbourne.

Everyone who receives any income in Australia requires a Tax File Number. Income includes wages or salary from a job, money earned from investments and government payments.

Applications forms are available from the ATO which is listed in the White Pages telephone directory. You can also look at the website

www.ato.gov.au

To enrole at Medicare it's best to wait about 10days after your arrival and then go to a Medicare office listed in the telephone book with passport and travel documents. If enrolement rquirements are met they will give you a medicare card number and the card will be posted to you
Hope this helps

Good luck in Melbourne
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Stewie
Hi Bret
Hope your'e enjoying Melbourne.

Everyone who receives any income in Australia requires a Tax File Number. Income includes wages or salary from a job, money earned from investments and government payments.

Applications forms are available from the ATO which is listed in the White Pages telephone directory. You can also look at the website

www.ato.gov.au

To enrole at Medicare it's best to wait about 10days after your arrival and then go to a Medicare office listed in the telephone book with passport and travel documents. If enrolement rquirements are met they will give you a medicare card number and the card will be posted to you
Hope this helps

Good luck in Melbourne

Ok...curiosity killing me... why wait 10 days before going to Medicare?
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 3:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
Ok...curiosity killing me... why wait 10 days before going to Medicare?
It takes about that long for Immigration to get their records in order that you have arrived in the country.