Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Thing of immigrating in 2016 as a teacher - please advise on required qualifications

Thing of immigrating in 2016 as a teacher - please advise on required qualifications

Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

ashfoj is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Thing of immigrating in 2016 as a teacher - please advise on required qualifications

Hello there, and thanks for reading.

I am currently studying a two year foundation degree in Digital Design and then a top up year to study a Ba (hons) degree in Graphic Communication (graphic design) after this i wanting to do a PGCE in secondary Art & Design for a further year, followed by 3 years teaching in the UK before applying for immigration. Would this be enough to then go into full time teaching in Australia, i have been searching for weeks for an answer but nothing concrete, i want to teach in NSW preferably to.

Thank you for any advice or information on anything else i would need to do to help me move over.
Also any advise on student loans from uk, how do i arrange paying that back, when i nOZ?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Thing of immigrating in 2016 as a teacher - please advise on required qualificati

Hi,

I thought this link my be helpful:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employmen...ch/iatinsw.htm

Good Luck!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Thing of immigrating in 2016 as a teacher - please advise on required qualificati

Originally Posted by Aussie30
Hi,

I thought this link my be helpful:

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employmen...ch/iatinsw.htm

Good Luck!
Thanks for that info but i really needed to find out if 3 years is enough, also are Art teachers in demand does anyone no, i cant find jobs on the internet, is that a really bad sign?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

problem is no one can tell you what the state of play will be this summer never mind in 6 years time. The rules change. Also job markets change so even if art teachers were in demand now who knows what it would be like in 2016. Do the training if you want to teach not just as a way in to Oz.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:25 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I think other people are right in saying no-one can predict what the situation will bein 6 years time. My feeling would be to go through your training if that is what YOU want to do, because it is a career path that you would enjoy for it's own sake. Don't invest that amount of time & effort just because you hope you can qualify for migration at some point in the future.

As an aside, I saw a programme recently, where an English trained RE teacher migrated & struggled to find work, let alone progression in her career, because RE isn't a priority subject in Oz schools....just makes you think about what could happen, doesn't it.

Best of luck
Old Feb 16th 2010, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I think other people are right in saying no-one can predict what the situation will bein 6 years time. My feeling would be to go through your training if that is what YOU want to do, because it is a career path that you would enjoy for it's own sake. Don't invest that amount of time & effort just because you hope you can qualify for migration at some point in the future.

As an aside, I saw a programme recently, where an English trained RE teacher migrated & struggled to find work, let alone progression in her career, because RE isn't a priority subject in Oz schools....just makes you think about what could happen, doesn't it.

Best of luck
Could you tell me what you think would be the best way at getting a teaching job over there, do i just do what i do in the Uk and bug the hell out of them when im there for an interview, it does work lol. Can i get a full time job on a 1 year working visa?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Now I may well not be quite right but having recently got my skills assessed by Teaching Australia I should remember....

My understanding was that you either needed a four year teaching degree or a three year degree with a year long PGCE.

The place where you studied, or who ratified your degree, was important - mine was Uni of Wales so fine and dandy - but some colleges didn't seem to fit the bill.

The PGCE has a set number of teaching days and that also was essential - can't for the life of me think how many ...

The GTP most certainly wasn't acceptable.

Have a look at Teaching Australia and the forms there should help.

Bezza
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Now I may well not be quite right but having recently got my skills assessed by Teaching Australia I should remember....

My understanding was that you either needed a four year teaching degree or a three year degree with a year long PGCE.

The place where you studied, or who ratified your degree, was important - mine was Uni of Wales so fine and dandy - but some colleges didn't seem to fit the bill.

The PGCE has a set number of teaching days and that also was essential - can't for the life of me think how many ...

The GTP most certainly wasn't acceptable.

Have a look at Teaching Australia and the forms there should help.

Bezza
Thank you for your reply Bezza, but do you know how long i need to teach in the uk for? does it need to be as long as 3 years?

thank you again
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

clarinsred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ashfoj
Thank you for your reply Bezza, but do you know how long i need to teach in the uk for? does it need to be as long as 3 years?

thank you again
I only needed 1 year experience to get skills assessed (Oct 08)… may have changed?

I would be tempted to look into how your foundation degree will transfer… I seem to remember the forms being very particular about the degree being full time and parallel to the Australian equivalent. All transcripts, hours… were scrutinised. Good luck!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by clarinsred
I only needed 1 year experience to get skills assessed (Oct 08)… may have changed?

I would be tempted to look into how your foundation degree will transfer… I seem to remember the forms being very particular about the degree being full time and parallel to the Australian equivalent. All transcripts, hours… were scrutinised. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, my degree works with the third year turning the foundation into a full Ba hons degree, same points, same end qualification. Shouldi just say i have the Ba and leave out the foundation, because i guess it canceles it out anyway
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

I think you really need to check this out in advance because it may well be that your degree isn't acceptable to them (Teaching Australia) whilst it is in the UK.

Firstly if it isn't a university ratified course then there could be problems.

Not sure about the conversion from foundation to BA - quite crucial.

Any PGCE will need to include a specific number of days teaching placement.

Hope it all works out but best to be prepared for some form filling ....
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Thing of immigrating in 2016 as a teacher - please advise on required qualificati

I think you really need to check this out in advance because it may well be that your degree isn't acceptable to them (Teaching Australia) whilst it is in the UK.

Firstly if it isn't a university ratified course then there could be problems.

Not sure about the conversion from foundation to BA - quite crucial.

Any PGCE will need to include a specific number of days teaching placement.

Hope it all works out but best to be prepared for some form filling ....
Thanks too for the reply,
The foundation degree is given by Bath Spa University and the same with the Ba. I am already doing an afternoon a week with a local high school where i teach Photoshop to students free of charge, i have 17 days to date in placement with them.

Is there anywhere free where i can check for comparable qualifications? would rather not pay a company a fee for the check.

Thanks again
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

From the Teaching Australia website guide

Three assessment criteria are required by Teaching Australia:
1. Educational
Completion of study assessed by Teaching Australia as comparable to at least four years full-time higher * education level study (or part-time equivalent) in Australia, which results in a qualification (or qualifications) comparable to the education level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher.
2. Professional
As part of the educational criterion above, completion of an initial teacher education qualification of at least one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) study at the higher *education level that includes at least 45 working days of supervised teaching practice in your nominated occupation.
3. English language
English language ability as evidenced by one of four options detailed in section I of this Application Guide and the Application Form.

*Higher education is education offered by a university or other recognised higher education institution, leading to the award of a degree or higher level qualification, The Australian Bureau of Statistics (2003).

Not so sure where the University thing comes from but I know it was there ...

The link to the website is : http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go/home/pid/418

Good luck

Bezza
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

From the Teaching Australia website guide

Three assessment criteria are required by Teaching Australia:
1. Educational
Completion of study assessed by Teaching Australia as comparable to at least four years full-time higher * education level study (or part-time equivalent) in Australia, which results in a qualification (or qualifications) comparable to the education level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher.
2. Professional
As part of the educational criterion above, completion of an initial teacher education qualification of at least one year full-time (or part-time equivalent) study at the higher *education level that includes at least 45 working days of supervised teaching practice in your nominated occupation.
3. English language
English language ability as evidenced by one of four options detailed in section I of this Application Guide and the Application Form.

*Higher education is education offered by a university or other recognised higher education institution, leading to the award of a degree or higher level qualification, The Australian Bureau of Statistics (2003).

Not so sure where the University thing comes from but I know it was there ...

The link to the website is : http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go/home/pid/418

Good luck

Bezza
Thank you so much Bezza, i shall look into that link you gave me
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by ashfoj
Thank you so much Bezza, i shall look into that link you gave me
When I did the PGCE (well.. cert ed)... it was 100 hours over the course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.