Is there any Hope?

Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there any Hope?

Sorry for sounding stupid but I have actually given this quite a lot of thought, yet I can't work out whether we (husband, me and two kids) have any chance of relocating to Australia, and if so, how.

Please help. This is our profile: (it's all a bit weird so I can't work out if we fit into any category of hope/eligibility for anything):

Husband has been a Warehouse Manager for 6 years, and in the business 14 years. BUT he has no qualifications, just high school. His experience also makes him able be a 'stock controller' or 'logistics coordinator'. He has British nationality.

I have a Bachelors Degree and a Masters Degree from Cambridge University in English Literature, BUT no real work experience. However my qualifications could enable me to seek work in the arts/creative industries (possibly). I have British and US nationality.

Husband has been applying for jobs in Australia (we'd prefer him to be the main earner if possible as I'm home with a one year old) but the response is poor as he has no Visa.

Do we have any chance? And if so, how do we go about it?

Please help. I'm totally stumped. We're desperate to relocate permanently if possible.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 1:45 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any Hope?

Originally Posted by Claire333
Sorry for sounding stupid but I have actually given this quite a lot of thought, yet I can't work out whether we (husband, me and two kids) have any chance of relocating to Australia, and if so, how.

Please help. This is our profile: (it's all a bit weird so I can't work out if we fit into any category of hope/eligibility for anything):

Husband has been a Warehouse Manager for 6 years, and in the business 14 years. BUT he has no qualifications, just high school. His experience also makes him able be a 'stock controller' or 'logistics coordinator'. He has British nationality.

I have a Bachelors Degree and a Masters Degree from Cambridge University in English Literature, BUT no real work experience. However my qualifications could enable me to seek work in the arts/creative industries (possibly). I have British and US nationality.

Husband has been applying for jobs in Australia (we'd prefer him to be the main earner if possible as I'm home with a one year old) but the response is poor as he has no Visa.

Please help. I'm totally stumped. We're desperate to relocate permanently if possible.
I think your first thing is to decide whether you want to move to Canada or to Australia. Then read through the relevant immigration department websites to see what you may qualify for. Australia is www.immi.gov.au

However, from what you've written, I don't know that there's a visa for you. If neither of you has a skill on the SOL or CSOL then you won't qualify for a skilled visa easily. You could always look at retraining in a skill that might be in demand, but that's not always a safe bet, either.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi there,

I've been told that I may be successful going down the 'independent skilled assessment route'. What is this? What does it involve? and do you agree?

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

I've been told that I may be successful going down the 'independent skilled assessment route'. What is this? What does it involve? and do you agree?

Thanks
What is an "independent skilled assessment route"? There are no backdoors into Australia. Either you meet the criteria for a visa or you don't. With what you've written in your first post, I would say you don't.

Have you looked at the link I sent you at all? Do the visa wizard and see what you come up with then come back with questions.
Old Mar 21st 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Is there any Hope?

I would be very surprised if you are eligible for an independent skilled visa.
To tell you the truth I would be surprised if there was any visa at all which you qualify for. Applying for jobs is pretty pointless as you still need a job which is able to be sponsored for. There are some 'manager' type ones on the list if you google 457 and have a look at the list of jobs, but as there are so many managers out there I believe they normally need qualifications.

You could run your case by a migration agent to see what they think your chances are. Try George Lombard or go Matilda. It is unlikely to cost you anything for a quick chat about your visa options.
Old Mar 22nd 2013, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter who is going to be the main earner, the main earner does not have to be the main visa applicant. But haveing said that you are not going to qualify for a visa anyway, your aspirations to apply for jobs in a particular field are not relevant.

So for your husband, are the occupations you have mentioned on the SOL or CSOL? If yes then the next step is to look at the skills assessment requirements for those occupations and see if he can pass.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:17 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

No. brutal response, but accurate.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

actually you're wrong Downunderpaddy. It turns out that I can study in Australia on a Student Visa Level 1, take my family with me, hubby and I can work for 20 hours a week each (as it's a Level 1 Student Visa) and after just 1 year I'll be able to work in a job under the SOL and apply for a Work Visa.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

But in fairness, you asked about relocating PERMANENTLY. Anyone can get a student visa & pay International fees to study if they are eligible (& pay for all the other stuff like health care & children's education ) It will not,on its own get you Permanent Residence. That will depend on developing a career & work experience that is in demand in Australia by the time you finish your studies .
Old Mar 26th 2013, 2:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

actually you're wrong Downunderpaddy. It turns out that I can study in Australia on a Student Visa Level 1, take my family with me, hubby and I can work for 20 hours a week each (as it's a Level 1 Student Visa) and after just 1 year I'll be able to work in a job under the SOL and apply for a Work Visa.
Not quite that straightforward but it might work.
Be careful that you have enough funds to support yourselves while on the student visa - that includes paying school fees for children. Student visas are not cheap things to have! Also there isn't such an animal as a "work visa" - you would need to establish which visa you are actually aiming for, and make sure you meet all the prerequisites for it. You can't work in Australia in a job on the SOL until you have the right visa afterwards.

Also you should be aware, as many on here know to their cost, that studying a subject does not guarantee a job at the end - the skill may come off the list in the meantime, or other rules may change and leave you stranded.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you didn't ask if you could go to Australia on a student visa. Of course students rarely get turned away, it is big business as it will be a very expensive venture for you.

I have serious doubts about your plan too, what occupation do you think you will be able to apply under in one years time? Have you looked into the skills assessment for tat occupation, many require several years of full time work experience for the skills assessment. The "student route" is very very difficult now and we do one often see it encouraged.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:43 pm
Still alive

Pumpkin Blossom's story springs to mind every time I see a poster say they're going to get a student visa with the view to staying permanently. Claire, take a read of her history to get an idea what you're facing.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Pumpkin Blossom's story springs to mind every time I see a poster say they're going to get a student visa with the view to staying permanently. Claire, take a read of her history to get an idea what you're facing.
Same here, always think of her long struggle.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

There are a lot of "ifs" "buts" and "maybe's" missing from your statement.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 3:34 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also almost certain that your course of study must be two years to qualify for a permanent residency visa application. I did it myself but it was a few years ago now.

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.