Wikiposts

Temporary AND Permanent Visa???

Old Nov 6th 2001, 1:44 am
Richard Walker

Hello.

I've read in a number of postings in this newsgroup that it's possible to obtain a
temporary business visa while also being processed for a permanent residency visa.
The permanent residency visa would then, when granted, supercede the temporary one.

Is this true????

If so, this would then allow me to land in Australia a lot earlier than the 15 months
from now that I'm looking at due to the increase in processing time for general
skilled applications lodged in London.

Naturally, I'd like to find out whether this is the case before proceeding as I don't
want to waste the time, effort, and cash involved in applying for the permanent
residency in the first place!

Cheers, Richard.

Old Nov 6th 2001, 6:52 am
Jaj

Hi Richard

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Yes it is true.

However if you apply for PR first it is sometimes harder to get a temporary visa. If
you think you've a real chance of getting a temporary visa (which may not be quite as
easy now, as you require a company to sponsor you) you should get it first, and then
apply for PR. When PR is decided you will need to leave Australia to be granted your
visa (New Zealand should do) and re-enter.

>
    >
    >
    >

If you haven't applied already for skilled migration, you'll be applying to Adelaide
rather than London. But don't expect the wait to be much shorter than 12 months.

>
    >
    >
    >

If you want to stay in Australia permanently you still need to get PR. A temporary
visa can just start you off living in Australia a little sooner in the meantime.

Regards

Jeremy