Temp VISA whilst applying for......

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:11 am
Just Joined

shunty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temp VISA whilst applying for......

permanent status....

Hi all, I have been recommended this site from a couple of guys from www.scoobynet.co.uk , they state that this site is all I need
& it looks like their right

so, I have briefly checked out the faq's section....BUT can we
apply for a temp vise to oz, then go over for a year & rent whilst waiting for our permanent app to be approved ??

cheers

shunty
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temp VISA whilst applying for......

Yes - provided you qualify for such a visa. You would have to leave Australia for your offshore PR visa to be granted, but this usually just involves going to Auckland for a week or so.

You can't use a tourist visa to remain in Australia that long.

Some people do get work permits (457 visas) while they wait for PR applications to get processed, but this requires a sponsoring Australian employer. Often easier said than done as many Australian employers are quite reluctant to sponsor for temporary visas.

There are other kinds of temporary visas - what precisely have you in mind?

Jeremy

Originally posted by shunty
permanent status....

so, I have briefly checked out the faq's section....BUT can we
apply for a temp vise to oz, then go over for a year & rent whilst waiting for our permanent app to be approved ??

cheers

shunty
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Jeremy,

I am 37 years, old married with 2 kids under 18 looking at contacting an agent in the next 2 weeks.
We have had our house valued & have 100k to go with (I know it's prob not that much but will have to do, without begging off parents:-))
We have talked about doing this for the last 2 years & nows the time.
Rather than waiting 18 months in the UK for a permanent visa, we think that cashing in our house now whilst the prices are very high in the UK & obtaining a temp visa for my family, renting a place over in oz & then getting permanent residence......

thats the plan, can we do it & if so how long for a temp visa ??

cheers

shunty
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As I said you can't just 'obtain' a temp visa - if you want a work permit you'll find it's a lot easier said than done to find an employer. What's your profession?

Most UK applications are dealt with in 10-12 months by Adelaide - where did you get your figure of 18 months from?

Skill assessment has to be done before you apply. Are you sure you meet the 120 pass mark for skilled independent, or do you have a relative to sponsor you?

Depending on what state you plan to live in, and your occupation, you may be eligible for STNI - that cuts down the processing time substantially.

One general point I would make. Temporary visas do not guarantee you PR. Even if you meet the skill requirements, there is always a chance of a late problem (like with health requirements) derailing your application. I would be very cautious about making life-changing decisions in the UK before you know you have PR visas granted.

If you want to migrate to Australia, you are going to need a lot of patience over the next year or two even if you qualify.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I am 37 years, old married with 2 kids under 18 looking at contacting an agent in the next 2 weeks.
We have had our house valued & have 100k to go with (I know it's prob not that much but will have to do, without begging off parents:-))
We have talked about doing this for the last 2 years & nows the time.
Rather than waiting 18 months in the UK for a permanent visa, we think that cashing in our house now whilst the prices are very high in the UK & obtaining a temp visa for my family, renting a place over in oz & then getting permanent residence......

thats the plan, can we do it & if so how long for a temp visa ??

cheers

shunty
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by JAJ
As I said you can't just 'obtain' a temp visa - if you want a work permit you'll find it's a lot easier said than done to find an employer. What's your profession?

I have 10 years in IT & also have been plumbing for the last 4 years on weekends etc. My intention is to get out of IT & work full time as a plumber for myself, but I might need to stay in IT to get us in. I left my last IT position at xmas & took some time off, I have been working self employed as a plumber for the last 3 months.

Most UK applications are dealt with in 10-12 months by Adelaide - where did you get your figure of 18 months from?

that's good then, a guy who I briefly worked with stated that it took 6 months processing his app then he has to wait 18 months to get in....

Skill assessment has to be done before you apply. Are you sure you meet the 120 pass mark for skilled independent, or do you have a relative to sponsor you?

a quick count up got me near that mark but I don't know for sure ( I have a HND & Degree in IT). We don't have relatives in oz or a sponsor.

Depending on what state you plan to live in, and your occupation, you may be eligible for STNI - that cuts down the processing time substantially.

I will have to look up STNI on the faq's....& we arn't sure what state we want although the west looks cheaper ??

One general point I would make. Temporary visas do not guarantee you PR. Even if you meet the skill requirements, there is always a chance of a late problem (like with health requirements) derailing your application. I would be very cautious about making life-changing decisions in the UK before you know you have PR visas granted.

yes, I agree we have discussed this as it is very important.

If you want to migrate to Australia, you are going to need a lot of patience over the next year or two even if you qualify.

ok,
cheers
Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

I thought my replies would appear in a different font.......

cheers
shunty
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:39 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

I thought my replies would appear in a different font.......

cheers
shunty
Hi Shunty,

Getting temporary employment sponsorship isn't as easy here as it was, but there are a lot of issues as Jeremy has explained. Although I'm not working on Monday still happy to look at your cv and let you know where you stand, if you can wait that extra day.

cheers,

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
Old Apr 24th 2004, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Hi George,

thanks for that, I have had a brief look at your web site & assume that you can give me detailed advice/instructions ( & price ) for handling our migration process sometime next week then ??

I can forward you a copy of my cv to look through & see if I can score the required points....after reading some of the recent threads I wish I'd been either a hairdresser or a chef

mind you I admire the oz way of looking at things...if your short of x,y,& z then only recruit them then!! (thats how it should be...no good for me though, BUT makes incredibly good sense)...looks like the IT bubble has well & truly burst as I thought they still classed IT as a highly desirable....obviously not..not surprising though.

cheers

shunty
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

I am doing something similar. I have moved here on a WHV, its a 1yr visa with a 3 month limit on working for any one employer. I applied for PR last October, at the time of moving here i was waiting for them to ask for my police checks etc which I got today. Though it was best for me, my Aussie g/f moved home last year due to her mum being ill, I still have been cautious. i have secured a 12 month sabatical from my work and have not cashed in the capital I have either. Once I get PR (think positive!) then I will make the necessary decisions. I am confident I will get a visa, I went skilled independant but if that failed I can always go defacto...however still, its not worth chancing,.well, for me anyway, the sake of holding off 6-12 months is nothing compared to what a nightmare of resigning a great job and cashing in is if it went tits up.

I am normally a go for it type of guy, I am quite impressed with myself for being so sensible. I dont always realise what a big step this is, so I keep reminding myself when I am thinking about big decisions!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:37 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CornishPasty
I am doing something similar. I have moved here on a WHV, its a 1yr visa with a 3 month limit on working for any one employer. I applied for PR last October, at the time of moving here i was waiting for them to ask for my police checks etc which I got today. Though it was best for me, my Aussie g/f moved home last year due to her mum being ill, I still have been cautious. i have secured a 12 month sabatical from my work and have not cashed in the capital I have either. Once I get PR (think positive!) then I will make the necessary decisions. I am confident I will get a visa, I went skilled independant but if that failed I can always go defacto...however still, its not worth chancing,.well, for me anyway, the sake of holding off 6-12 months is nothing compared to what a nightmare of resigning a great job and cashing in is if it went tits up.

I am normally a go for it type of guy, I am quite impressed with myself for being so sensible. I dont always realise what a big step this is, so I keep reminding myself when I am thinking about big decisions!

Hi cornish pasty

whats a sabitical?
Have you managed to get any work on your WHV, and if so what jobs are you doing for each 3 months at a time?
What was your current occupation before you went to Auz?

Sorry about all the questions, it was just we were thinking of getting WHV and going to Auz for a year while the PR application went through, but due to risk factors of my partner packing in good job and only being able to work for 3 months at a time (we were told not many employers will take you on for just 3 months in his line of work) and me still at uni, we have decided to wait, I am just curious though about how you have found it by doing it this way?

cheers

laura
x