Telling boss your immigrating

Old May 20th 2005, 8:19 am
Just Joined

goodybytes is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Telling boss your immigrating

Hiya,
I posted the waaheey post!!! Thanks for all your replies.

Has there been anyone in a position where they have to tell their employers that they are leaving?

I'm planning to resign in Nov, but I'm currently being fast tracked into a higher role and they are putting quite a lot of investment in me...I feel so guilty and a traitor!!!

What do I do, wait until Nov and say 'Hey thanks guys for all your investment but I'm now leaving for Oz'? I would like to leave on good terms.

Just for the record I got my visa on Wed

(still not had the bottle of bubbly )
GB

Last edited by goodybytes; May 20th 2005 at 8:28 am. Reason: update
Old May 20th 2005, 8:22 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Telling boss your immigrating

I will be in the same position........not too sure what to do once we get our visas thru

Rob

Originally Posted by goodybytes
Hiya,
I posted the waaheey post!!! Thanks for all your replies.

Has there been anyone in a position where they have to tell their employers that they are leaving?

I'm planning to resign in Nov, but I'm currently being fast tracked into a higher role and they are putting quite a lot of investment in me...I feel so guilty and a traitor!!!

What do I do, wait until Nov and say 'Hey thanks guys for all your investment but I'm now leaving for Oz'? I would like to leave on good terms.

(still not had the bottle of bubbly )
GB
Old May 20th 2005, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Oakie will become famous soon enoughOakie will become famous soon enough

I wasnt keen to tell my employer until I had recieved confirmation oif the visa, for the same sorts of reasons as you. As it turned out I was required to submit a reference with the visa application, which kind of killed that plan.

But, when I did tell them (the day before the christmas holidays) they said 'cool, youre doing the right thing, if I were your age etc...' and its not been a problem since. The thing to remember is that there are completely different motivations for emigrating than just changing your job, so just explain it to them, and they should be okay with it.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

John J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant futureJohn J has a brilliant future

I believe that one should be extremely careful during the initial stages of applying for migration. As the process goes on you become obliged to play open cards with your employer.

Putting yourself in your employer's shoes would probably help you to decide at what point this should happen.

Just keep in mind that the process only reaches finality a while after granting of the visa. You may change your mind in between.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:54 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

easy:

"Kiss my sweet ass goodbye. See ya!!!!"

my attitude however probably explains why i am curently at home not working ....???
Old May 20th 2005, 10:00 am
whimsies

whimsies is an unknown quantity at this point

Play you cards close to your chest pretend they are mushrooms "keep in dark and feed s***"

whimsies
Old May 20th 2005, 10:29 am
Karma to make me calmer!

Tops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by whimsies
Play you cards close to your chest pretend they are mushrooms "keep in dark and feed s***"

whimsies
What you could say is your plan is to be going by the end of the year but there is still loads to organise, house selling, kids schools etc. This way they know about you going which helps with any references etc. Also by saying there is still a long road ahead prevents them from panicing.

In most cases you dont want to burn bridges for any future references and contacts. Best is to let them know what you plan is but not given any firm dates.

If you know they are investing in you, remind them about you long to plan to move to Oz. Who knows they may stil proceed with their plans to promote you even at least do a partial investment in you. If they get all bitter about you going and shut your off, that is their problem and if they do make life unpleasan for you, think of the positive side, you leaving anyway!

T.
Old May 20th 2005, 10:39 am
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tops
What you could say is your plan is to be going by the end of the year but there is still loads to organise, house selling, kids schools etc. This way they know about you going which helps with any references etc. Also by saying there is still a long road ahead prevents them from panicing.
This is exactly what I've done at my work, told them I'll be going (subject to getting the visa) at the end of the year. They have duely obliged by not investing anything in me - hey ho, what they don't know is I'll probably be going long before I said I would and will tell them that Immigration have said we have to be in the country by the earlier date

Also remember some companies have a policy where you have to repay the cost of courses etc if you leave within a certain time frame after the course.
Best of luck.
Old May 20th 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

hunser is on a distinguished road

How big is your company? - if they are a national / international / blue chip etc, then I'd tell them nothing until you need to work your notice. Push comes to shove, we're all just an expendable commodity and they probably wouldn't show you similar loyalty and consideration if tables were turned, no matter how well you get on with your immediate superiors. Reference wise as well, most larger companies nowadays are only duty bound to give a basic 'good character, worked for us between x and x' and will offer little else whether you're the bees knees or a complete waster.

If it's a smaller compay, then I guess the decison is a little harder but I still reckon look out for numbe one and take all the development they are offering so you're in a better position when you start your new life downunder.
Old May 20th 2005, 10:54 am
whimsies

whimsies is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to get a reference for my boss for the TRA so I told him it takes 3 years to get a visa. yea right

whimsies
Old May 20th 2005, 11:40 am
Karma to make me calmer!

Tops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura aboutTops has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by whimsies
I had to get a reference for my boss for the TRA so I told him it takes 3 years to get a visa. yea right

whimsies
Well, if you follow the official time lines by TRA, ACS and DIMIA. You are looking at 3-6months for assessments and 52 weeks from DIMIA.

Take in account sorting out all your own loose ends etc and you are looking at least 2 years.

So state the official line of 18 months you are technically not lying, just being economical with the truth ;-) When it does come through early just say are you as surprised as they are.

That is what I am planning….

T