Wikiposts

Teaching qualifications

Old Feb 17th 2011, 2:37 am
Just Joined

Dreamer309 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching qualifications

Hello all, not entirely sure if this is in the right section, however I wasn't sure where else to put it. (Moderators, feel free to move if necessary!)

So, all is hopefully in motion to apply for Visa once the new points system is introduced. However, my question relates to once I get to Australia, specifically regarding teaching job qualifications.

My current "qualifications" are an almost finished PhD, a placement in a secondary school, part of a PGCHE (Higher Education version of PGCE), experience of demonstrating and direct supervision of an undergraduate student. Does anyone know if all or any of this would be enough for me to either get a teaching job in Australia, or register as one? Looking at the Queensland College of Teacher websites is not currently giving me any useful information. Queensland would be the preferred area, however I am not limiting my options.

Would I need to complete another year's education, similar to the PGCE here? Or are there teaching qualifications available that provide direct teaching experience, without a formal university setting (similar to GTPs in the UK). Obviously I don't have any full qualifications in the UK at the moment, I am mostly wondering whether my smattering of experience in different situations and cases could potentially replace a formal qualification. Any help would be much appreciated, as I am currently clueless!

Last edited by Dreamer309; Feb 17th 2011 at 2:39 am.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Teaching qualifications

What age group are you wanting to teach? If school kids up to age 18 then your qualification wont be enough to register as a teacher in Australia. They require you to have a standard PGCE not the FE/HE one. They require extra study to enable you to work with under 16's which the UK FE/HE one does not give you.

If you are wanting to teach in Uni then there is no need to register as teacher with the state. Any requirements come from the Uni itself. Hubby went round in circles with this one and has decided to give the school kids a miss and try TAFE or Uni's.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 6:56 am
Just Joined

I would like to teach secondary education ideally. I don't want to teach at uni, purely because I don't want the extra academic and research side of it anymore.
I know TAFE is like college, but nothing more about it. What kind of education do they provide? This may also be another option if I can't do the secondary teaching.

Do you know anything about possible ways of doing a PGCE equivalent in Australia? Do they have a scheme similar to the GTP? I found something called Teach Australia online which seem to provide something similar, but is currently only available in Victoria and ACT.

Thanks for the answer. Good to know someone has some experience of all this.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dreamer309
I would like to teach secondary education ideally. I don't want to teach at uni, purely because I don't want the extra academic and research side of it anymore.
I know TAFE is like college, but nothing more about it. What kind of education do they provide? This may also be another option if I can't do the secondary teaching.

Do you know anything about possible ways of doing a PGCE equivalent in Australia? Do they have a scheme similar to the GTP? I found something called Teach Australia online which seem to provide something similar, but is currently only available in Victoria and ACT.

Thanks for the answer. Good to know someone has some experience of all this.
They do offer courses but I cant tell you what they are sorry. I know when you try and register they will give you a list of modules you can do to get up to the standard they require.

Australia dont like our GTP much, you cant use it to teach there so dont think they'll have one. They like a 4 yr degree of teaching or 3yr + PGCE min.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 3:00 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to teach High School at some stage to get anywhere you will need to complete a Diploma of Education (dip ed) Its aout 8 units post grad and suprisingly is competitive to get in. Although with your PHD qualifications I doubt you'll run into problems lol.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

abrahamin is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Expert,
Needs your opinion. one of my cousin has done Masters in EPM (Education Policy and Management). Other than that she has done 1 year "Certificate in Professional Studies in Education" from Bradford & ILKELY Community College (an associate college of Bradford University). She has teaching, at primary level, experience of more than 10 years

Does she qualify if she send her documents for assessments to Teaching Australia?
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Quick question Weebie. What exactly do you mean by 8 units postgraduate? I don't mind doing a course if necessary, I'm just curious how it may relate to similar credits in the UK or European systems. Though I wouldn't mind not doing it, it would be nice to not be the perpetual student!

Thank you both for your help.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by abrahamin
Dear Expert,
Needs your opinion. one of my cousin has done Masters in EPM (Education Policy and Management). Other than that she has done 1 year "Certificate in Professional Studies in Education" from Bradford & ILKELY Community College (an associate college of Bradford University). She has teaching, at primary level, experience of more than 10 years

Does she qualify if she send her documents for assessments to Teaching Australia?

Any expert opinion on above?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:14 am
Just Joined

If you read the relevant information on qualifications needed that can be found on immi.gov.au you will be able to answer the question for yourself.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dreamer309
If you read the relevant information on qualifications needed that can be found on immi.gov.au you will be able to answer the question for yourself.
Hi Dreamer309,
I have gone through it but didn't got any idea and still confused.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abrahamin
Hi Dreamer309,
I have gone through it but didn't got any idea and still confused.
Not hard really..............

http://www.aitsl.edu.au

primary-school-teacher

You also need to know if she will be able to register as a teacher in the state she will be living

For NSW overseas-trained-teachers/approval-process

Statement-of-Eligibility/

Other areas have differnet criteria.