Wikiposts

Teachers - a word of warning

Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Teachers - a word of warning

Wanted to share with other teachers who plan to apply that my teaching degree was not recognised by the Australian officials because it was only 3 years in duration. When you read the points information etc it seems that teachers are a sure thing for gaining a visa. Luckily my skills assessment was poitive but as an education officer.
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 6:23 pm
kg
Forum Regular

kg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Teachers - a word of warning

Yes, it's a tricky one - my skills were recognised and i have an English degree (three years at uni) and then a one year (uni and schools) PGCE in English.

When I originally enquired to the education departments in Oz I was told that a B. ed is not recognised... which is such a shame for those who've chosen this route.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kg
Yes, it's a tricky one - my skills were recognised and i have an English degree (three years at uni) and then a one year (uni and schools) PGCE in English.

When I originally enquired to the education departments in Oz I was told that a B. ed is not recognised... which is such a shame for those who've chosen this route.
I think we have to be careful here, as i dont think these statements can be true. I certainly dont want to put teachers off applyig. My wife's B. ed was approved by Noosr, the trade approval body in Australia as a qualified Teacher without any problems. The education departments in Aus may not recognise a B.ed but Noosr do.
I'm not sure about the 3 year rule, but i know other teachers on this forum, may have a better idea.

Best of luck to all Teachers out there.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Thank you for replying. NOOSR would not recognise my B Ed purely because of the length of study. Apparenly they have to have one rule for all countries and a teaching degree must be 4 years. If I had a masters or PGCE this would have counted as the 4th year and I would have been fine. I think the problem is going to be more apparent in a few years as I was one of the first of the 3 year courses to be run. However due to a change in our education system more and more teachers will be taking this route. I even had backing from very high up in our system who were prepared to get involved with NOOSR but NOOSR would not consider this.

However if I had put that my college course was full time this would also have counted in my favour, unfortunately I could not remember and put part time because I did not feel it was particularly important and it went against me. This is why I wanted to make other teachers aware that they should not presume their skills assessment will be positive, it was such a shock when I recieved a negative response. Totally unexpected. Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi again,
I forgot to explain my solution because as you said it is important not to put any teacher off. I am a special education teacher and applied to VETASSESS (think that is how it is spelt!) as an education officer. This was a positive assessment and quite speedy. The migration agent was as surprised as us with the 3 year rule.
So my word of warning hopefully can inform others to do everything in their power to get their adult education to 4 years on the form and it must be 4 years full time relating to your professional qualification!
Hope that helps others and makes sense too because a great deal of teaching degrees these days are 3 years.
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi again,
I forgot to explain my solution because as you said it is important not to put any teacher off. I am a special education teacher and applied to VETASSESS (think that is how it is spelt!) as an education officer. This was a positive assessment and quite speedy. The migration agent was as surprised as us with the 3 year rule.
So my word of warning hopefully can inform others to do everything in their power to get their adult education to 4 years on the form and it must be 4 years full time relating to your professional qualification!
Hope that helps others and makes sense too because a great deal of teaching degrees these days are 3 years.
Tara
I had no idea that the teaching degree was now 3 years. I will talk with my wife tonight on this. Good info to all others on putting full time at Uni.

Have you managed to lodge your aplication yet. Change your signature profile, and let everyone else know your progress. Best of luck.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Is a 50 point occupation enough for you, in that case?

The other thought that comes to mind is whether there's a risk of Regulation 2.27B being applied by DIMIA in your case.

Jeremy

Hi again,
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is a 50 point occupation enough for you, in that case?

The other thought that comes to mind is whether there's a risk of Regulation 2.27B being applied by DIMIA in your case.

Jeremy
What does that mean (risk of Regulation 2.27B being applied by DIMIA in your case)
50 points should be enough because my sister is sponsoring me and we need to have a bond of some kind that I cannot remember the term! We are using an agent so I am hoping he understands this more than me.
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:34 pm
Dave

--o<--
    > countries and a teaching degree must be 4 years. If I had a masters or
    > PGCE this would have counted as the 4th year and I would have been fine.

--o<--
Tara,
I've heard of people doing PGCE's in a *very* short space of time,
especially those already teaching. From looking at a PGCE sylabus, I think
the college based time is quite short compared to the time required for
lesson planning and actual teaching both of which, as a teacher, you are
already doing. If needs must, go get a PGCE. Good luck with your future
application ;-)

Dave.

Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What does that mean (risk of Regulation 2.27B being applied by DIMIA in your case)
50 points should be enough because my sister is sponsoring me and we need to have a bond of some kind that I cannot remember the term! We are using an agent so I am hoping he understands this more than me.
Tara
Regulation 2.27B means that if you have education and work experience in a restricted occupation (eg teacher) and select a 50 point occupation, DIMIA can change the nominated occupation to teacher (in this case) and insist you go back to NOOSR.

Whether they will do so or not depends on circumstances - there's a policy document underlying this that explains. It may or may not be an issue for you, but does need to be looked at in detail. Most MARA registered agent dealing in skilled migration are familiar with Reg 2.27B and its application, so I suggest you talk it over.

Jeremy
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:37 pm
A Mate

Australian teachers are 4 year university trained - that's the standard
required! Like it or lump it! Australians with training qualifications of
less than 4 years University equivalence are equally shut out of the
teaching profession!!

"ali south" <member30549@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected] m...
    > Wanted to share with other teachers who plan to apply that my teaching
    > degree was not recognised by the Australian officials because it was
    > only 3 years in duration. When you read the points information etc it
    > seems that teachers are a sure thing for gaining a visa. Luckily my
    > skills assessment was poitive but as an education officer.
    > Tara
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Regulation 2.27B means that if you have education and work experience in a restricted occupation (eg teacher) and select a 50 point occupation, DIMIA can change the nominated occupation to teacher (in this case) and insist you go back to NOOSR.

Whether they will do so or not depends on circumstances - there's a policy document underlying this that explains. It may or may not be an issue for you, but does need to be looked at in detail. Most MARA registered agent dealing in skilled migration are familiar with Reg 2.27B and its application, so I suggest you talk it over.

Jeremy
Thank you Jeremy, hopefully due to the nature of my most recent experience I can clarify that my skills are in fact much greater than a teacher and not just restricted to the field of education. I am now working with adult services, health and IT. Would you say I am thinking along the correct lines with this though or would that be irrelevant? Thanks again. Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dave I have thought about doing a PGCE, but financially cannot imagine it. Also my kids would have left home by the time I do this and I want to get them over there before they are 18. Thanks for your reply
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thank you Jeremy, hopefully due to the nature of my most recent experience I can clarify that my skills are in fact much greater than a teacher and not just restricted to the field of education. I am now working with adult services, health and IT. Would you say I am thinking along the correct lines with this though or would that be irrelevant? Thanks again. Tara
One of the criteria in deciding whether or not to apply Reg 2.27B is whether the applicant is employable in _skilled_ occupations other than the 'restricted' occupation - but this often needs to be argued/evidenced. Employability in non-SOL occupations is usually not relevant.

Jeremy
Old Oct 15th 2004, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=A Mate]Australian teachers are 4 year university trained - that's the standard
required! Like it or lump it! Australians with training qualifications of
less than 4 years University equivalence are equally shut out of the
teaching profession!!

I agree, I work with many extremely skilled Australian teachers that are forced to retrain in this country (UK), even if they have proven themself to be outstanding professionals in their role. Defies belief I have to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.