British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Teacher Training Dilemma - Advice Please.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/teacher-training-dilemma-advice-please-489117/)

Lindsayc Oct 23rd 2007 7:31 pm

Teacher Training Dilemma - Advice Please....

Wondered if anybody had any views on the following...

My partner and I have lodged our 136 MODL visa (he is a Quantity Surveryor) on 17/8 this year. I had a baby in May and was due to start a Flexible PGCE primary education in September however due to having the baby I deferred. I am now due to start the course in January and have found out that(with a lot of hard work and having worked in school before) it could be completed in a couple of terms. This would mean that we would be able to go ahead with our plans and hopefully be in Oz by this time next year.

I wonder whether anybody knows whether if I complete the course it will be transferrable and I will be able to teach in Brisbane? I don't want to put myself under extreme pressure only to find that it won't be any use when we get over there. If anybody could shed any light on the situation that would be great. I would rather complete the course over here as it will be easier to arrange childcare etc, but I am aware that there is a similar post-grad course that I could do once we get over to Oz and are settled.

Many thanks
Lindsay

sammyg Oct 23rd 2007 7:43 pm

Re: Teacher Training Dilemma - Advice Please....

Hi,
i was due to start a GTP sept just gone but i didn't take it as i realised they didn't accept it in aus, nevertheless, we have a visa now and we are still going.

Regarding the PGCE, you may be able to get it done quickly but it depends on how much evidence you already have!...have you any experience from working in a school? I was told by my UNI to start collating evidence against the QTS standards to progress quicker, but that was only possible because i have been working in a school for 6 yrs and working as an unqualified teacher for 2!!

What i think would be more important to find out first is...will Aus accept you without QTS?... because you don't get QTS until you have worked in a fulltime teaching job for 2 terms or a year (i can never remember!) after your teacher training, until that you remain an NQT!! (and that doesn't last forever)

hope this helps. I have an early years degree and will be looking into a teacher training programme in aus. It's costly, but makes better sense for us.

Sam :)

ps, go and have a good search on the teacher forum:thumbup:

sammyg Oct 23rd 2007 7:58 pm

just read that you do have experience!! you probably could do it quickly it's just the case of whether or not aus carry over your NQT year. I'll pm you;)

Lindsayc Oct 23rd 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Sammy

Funny I have just replied to you on the meet-ups thread!!!! Thanks for your reply - like you I wondered whether it would be best to complete the course once we get over to Oz. Was just trying to weigh up the pros and cons. I applied for the course after completing my degree but lecturer failed to complete the reference online through gttr (I was not happy! :mad:Especially when she didn't even apologise!) - so theoretically I should have already completed it! I had to wait a further year before I could apply again and was successful and then had a baby and had to defer - so it seems like I keep putting it off!!

I was working as Teaching Assistant for children with Special Needs so do have relevant experience within the school environment. I also have contacts at the school where I used to work should I need help etc.

Like you say it would be usfeul to find out whether Oz would except my as an NQT without QTS. We are going to an expo in Manchester at the weekend and I'm hoping that somebody there might now or I may give our agent a call to see if he can shed any light on the matter. It's just that the bursary is going to be reduced from £6000 to £4000 in 2008 and should we decide to come back to the UK I may find myself in the same position again.

Once again thanks for your advice. :D
Lindsay

P.S I completed my degree at the University of Derby - is this where you were going to do the GTP or was it through Nottingham Trent?

sammyg Oct 23rd 2007 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Lindsayc (Post 5459099)
Hi Sammy

Funny I have just replied to you on the meet-ups thread!!!! Thanks for your reply - like you I wondered whether it would be best to complete the course once we get over to Oz. Was just trying to weigh up the pros and cons. I applied for the course after completing my degree but lecturer failed to complete the reference online through gttr (I was not happy! :mad:Especially when she didn't even apologise!) - so theoretically I should have already completed it! I had to wait a further year before I could apply again and was successful and then had a baby and had to defer - so it seems like I keep putting it off!!

I was working as Teaching Assistant for children with Special Needs so do have relevant experience within the school environment. I also have contacts at the school where I used to work should I need help etc.

Like you say it would be usfeul to find out whether Oz would except my as an NQT without QTS. We are going to an expo in Manchester at the weekend and I'm hoping that somebody there might now or I may give our agent a call to see if he can shed any light on the matter. It's just that the bursary is going to be reduced from £6000 to £4000 in 2008 and should we decide to come back to the UK I may find myself in the same position again.

Once again thanks for your advice. :D
Lindsay

P.S I completed my degree at the University of Derby - is this where you were going to do the GTP or was it through Nottingham Trent?

small world...yes i've done a Foundation degree at derby Uni and am just finishing my research module for my BA Early Childhood studies final year - last one- yipee!! what degree did you do?

sam x

Lindsayc Oct 23rd 2007 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5459132)
small world...yes i've done a Foundation degree at derby Uni and am just finishing my research module for my BA Early Childhood studies final year - last one- yipee!! what degree did you do?

sam x

I did the Combined Studies degree BA Honours Education Studies and English - finished December 2005. Bet you'll be glad to finish your Independent Study! Are Viv and John your lecturers? We lived on the Notts/Derby border then and my partner worked on the Alfreton Road- my best friend from uni lives up in Notts and works in Derby! It is a small world isn't it - I can't believe how many people are off to Oz!

Em76 Oct 24th 2007 3:15 pm

I applied to Teach Australia for verification of all of my experience / qualifications etc, and as far as I know you must have 4 years of uni to qualify as a teacher in Oz. This could be 3 years degree + PGCE, but they seem stict on 4 years. I have a friend who did a 3 year BEd and then had to do a further 1 year course in Oz in order to teach out there. Hope this helps :)

Kathryn44 Oct 24th 2007 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lindsayc (Post 5458983)
Wondered if anybody had any views on the following...

My partner and I have lodged our 136 MODL visa (he is a Quantity Surveryor) on 17/8 this year. I had a baby in May and was due to start a Flexible PGCE primary education in September however due to having the baby I deferred. I am now due to start the course in January and have found out that(with a lot of hard work and having worked in school before) it could be completed in a couple of terms. This would mean that we would be able to go ahead with our plans and hopefully be in Oz by this time next year.

I wonder whether anybody knows whether if I complete the course it will be transferrable and I will be able to teach in Brisbane? I don't want to put myself under extreme pressure only to find that it won't be any use when we get over there. If anybody could shed any light on the situation that would be great. I would rather complete the course over here as it will be easier to arrange childcare etc, but I am aware that there is a similar post-grad course that I could do once we get over to Oz and are settled.

Many thanks
Lindsay

Hi there,

There have been lots of good responses to your post so far, but can I just say that what is required for a positive skills assessment (for migration purposes) may not be identical with what is required to be able to teach in Australia. I would contact the teaching registration authority within the state you will be settling.

Best,

Gordo Marshall Oct 25th 2007 9:48 am

Hi Lindsay

Having came to QLD when I first arrived in Australia way back in 2002, yes indeed it was necessary to have Teacher Rego from QLD Teachers Council, based in Toowong (Brisbane).

As for your training. I came here with my PGCE from the UK and gained provisional rego. I also came on the WHM (working holiday Maker Visa) which allowed me at that time to work for up to three months for ED QLD, but not for longer as they do not sponsor teachers for PR, even still to my knowledge, although don't quote me.

Yes, you can do the GDip in Teaching here, which equates to the PGCE, but is 2 years, instead for the PGCE one-year I think. You will more than likely also have to pay International Student Fees too, unless you have PR or Citizenship of Australia. But with the exchange rates pounds to dollar it may equate to the same. Except to say of course that in the UK you will probably get PGCE fees paid and the £6,000 or whatever it is grant (?). You will get no such nicities in Australia unless you are a Citizen, or PR for a substantive period to my knowledge.

MY story was, I went to the NT after my time in QLD and got sponsored by the NT Dept of Ed to stay teaching in a schoo for two years - doing three in the end.

So the short of the long is, that I suppose it maybe cheaper to train in the UK, but on the plus of the Australia side, you will also be learning about cultural and Indigenous pedagogies too, and be placed within the Australia work context when seeking positions etc.

But UK teachers are highly regarded in Australia I personally think and I was made to feel very welcome where I was. The curriculums maybe different and the cultures, and the way you teach in certain contexts, but youngsters are youngsters the world over - so I think it's your approach and classroom management which matters most, not so much where you trained.

Good luck with your thinkings.

Kind Regards

Gordon :)

balkanghost Oct 25th 2007 5:06 pm

Remember that it is possible to commence Oz study offshore then continue onshore in Oz. Also, single subjects etc. are available if you only need bridging as recommend by skills assessors. Cheers

drew Oct 25th 2007 5:40 pm

Hi,

My wife was in a similar situation. We wanted to go to Oz after she finished her PGCE, where she was told she would be able to teach in some of the private schools in Oz, without doing the NQT year (3 terms). However, the problem is if you don't complete your NQT year within 5 years of completing the PGCE, you have to do it again. Bottom line is if you want to be recognised as a qualified teacher in the UK, you need to finish your NQT year, which we decided was worth doing in case we ever decided to come back to the UK.

Soon as my wife finishes her last term in Easter we are on our way!