Tax Rebate

Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:10 am

guest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the roughguest81707 is a jewel in the rough
Default Tax Rebate

Hi am leaving UK in October on fiance visa to Sydney when "it" arrives, am I eligible for a tax rebate from Mr Blair, how and where and when do I apply?

John
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

DeniseH is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tax Rebate

If you are going for good -
the honest way is to phone your tax office and let them know when your last day of work is. They calculate how much tax you should have paid in the tax year so far (ie you wont get the whole years allowances). Usually there is not much of a rebate in these instances.
If you say that this is a long holiday -
then leave it till the end of the tax year and then call them. They then take the whole years worth and you'll get some money around Sept 05.

I did that when I had a WHM visa and went to oz on 'holiday' for a year.

Hope that helps!
Denise
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:51 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello John.

You will need to complete Inland Revenue form P85:
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/r_and_d.htm

Send the completed form with the P45 from your last employment to your tax office - a repayment (if you are entitled to one!) will follow ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn
Hi am leaving UK in October on fiance visa to Sydney when "it" arrives, am I eligible for a tax rebate from Mr Blair, how and where and when do I apply?

John
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwiloverjohn

John
To add to what Alan said - the form allows you to nominate a UK bank account, and they will pay the refund in to that for you.
I finished work in mid October last year and got back half the tax I had paid since April........and it only took about a month!
Old Aug 14th 2004, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahoy

We rand our tax office first and they sent the forms out. For my partner they went through his tax on the phone and realised they owed him heaps. They asked for the p85 to be sent in with the p45's and a cover letter explaining his work situation for the past two financial years.

We have sent off our P85 for tax refund when moving overseas. It took aboout 2 mths for them to write back and request the p60 (even though it wasnt listed as a document and my partners employer never issued one to him before we left the UK) So we are currently chasing that up. I sent mine off a couple weeks later with out my p60 so I soon find out if I get mine held up.

Do you know the most annoying thing we have noticed lately? When you fill in forms and give your e-mail address and telephone and fax numbers of ways to contact you, inland revenue (and others) still choose snail mail to notify you of something..... cheaper and faster to send email or havent they realised it 2004 yet?