Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Systems Engineer - 176 - From NZ to Victoria

Systems Engineer - 176 - From NZ to Victoria

Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:27 am
Just Joined

triad1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Systems Engineer - 176 - From NZ to Victoria

Hi all.

I'm new on this forum. I've been reading and using the search button and it's really impressive how helpful you are.

as my case is a bit specific, I decided to open a thread.

I'm not new on applying to complicated visas.
Currently I live in New Zealand and I came here with Working Holiday Visa (2008)
1 year ago I got my 2 year Skilled Visa (Work Permit) under ANZSCO 263111 - Computer Network and Systems Engineer.

I have 8 years of experience in that role, 2 of them in New Zealand, and that's how I got my current visa in NZ.

Soon I'll apply for the NZ residency, however, I do want to migrate to Australia now while I'm young and and leave the NZ doors open for later.

So I decided to apply for the Aussie visa first, while I have time.

I want to apply to the Victoria 176 Visa, however the closer ANZSCO available on the eligible list that I can see as being on my role is 261112 - Systems Analyst, which is pretty much what I do as well.

Do you guys have any comments about this? Can I use 261112? I still not sure about ACS and how can I go with that.

Is there's any advantage for having this experience in NZ and also approved Visa in NZ, or maybe disadvantage?

I'm just opting for 176 because 1. I like Melbourne 2. It's faster.

I would also consider Perth, but as we know it's still waiting for the state plan.

Sorry if I'm a bit confused, I just need a little bit of a light.

Appreciate any help and have a nice week
Old Dec 6th 2010, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Systems Engineer - 176 - From NZ to Victoria

Ok, that was confusing. I'll try to simplify:
My Ocuupation: ANZSCO 263111 -Network Engineer ASCO - 2231-13 Systems Designer - 8 Years experience.

1. It does not contain on the Victoria eligible list. Can I still try to get any sponsorship or;
2. Shoud I wait for WA plan and try 176 or;
3. Should I apply for 175 now and wait up to 3 years or
4. Should I wait for the new point system and then apply?
5. Is experience in NZ of any advantage?

Sorry for the lots of questions
Old Dec 7th 2010, 7:44 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've been told your NZ visa doesn't give you any help in Australia whatsoever. You'll need to stay as a permanent resident for 5 years and then apply for citizenship to be able to work in Australia and even then there are drawbacks.

Far better to apply to get an employer to sponsor you in Australia, I think Buzzy Bee did this - he moved over from NZ and will know all the ins and outs.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
From what I've been told your NZ visa doesn't give you any help in Australia whatsoever. You'll need to stay as a permanent resident for 5 years and then apply for citizenship to be able to work in Australia and even then there are drawbacks.
Thanks for the comment, yes your are right I would need to wait 5 years from the time I get the residence, which is not on my plans. I was just thinking that maybe NZ experience would be a good thing for the RPL or employer point of view as I'm not from an English speaking country. (I'm from Brazil)

Far better to apply to get an employer to sponsor you in Australia, I think Buzzy Bee did this - he moved over from NZ and will know all the ins and outs.
As far as I'm aware it's very hard to get sponsorship from an employer. When you apply for a job, first thing they ask is for a valid visa ready. Or is that a bit different than I think?

Cheers
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Systems Engineer - 176 - From NZ to Victoria

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

Actually my case was rather different - I lived in the UK for 8 years in between NZ and Aus and was not employer sponsored for Oz.

You're dead right about the OP's visa status.

BB