British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Swapping employer on a 457 Visa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/swapping-employer-457-visa-564844/)

gfactor86 Oct 2nd 2008 4:04 pm

Swapping employer on a 457 Visa?

Hey

I have landed myself in a bit of a predicament.

Basically I have just been granted a 457 visa which is being sponsored by a company in Sydney that I am due to go and work for in November. However, my current employer also has an office in Sydney and they have now offered me a much better package to go over to Sydney.

My current employer (who is 457 complient) wants to take over the sponsorship. Please bear in mind that I haven't had my passport stamped yet and have not started work for the company I am due to work for.

Is there any easy way this can be "swapped" over? Or, am I going to have to reapply from scratch and wait another 8 weeks :(:(:(

jothefw Oct 2nd 2008 10:23 pm

Re: Swapping employer on a 457 Visa?

Good luck with this, it's doesn't seem straight forward ... from the little I've read you'll need to re-apply.

On the up side, you'll have everything from first time and as you say your present employer is complient so will know what they're doing!

Hopefully someone else on here will know more ...

hitchcock71 Oct 2nd 2008 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by gfactor86 (Post 6839298)
Hey

Basically I have just been granted a 457 visa which is being sponsored by a company in Sydney that I am due to go and work for in November. However, my current employer also has an office in Sydney and they have now offered me a much better package to go over to Sydney.

My current employer (who is 457 complient) wants to take over the sponsorship. Please bear in mind that I haven't had my passport stamped yet and have not started work for the company I am due to work for.

Is there any easy way this can be "swapped" over? Or, am I going to have to reapply from scratch and wait another 8 weeks :(:(:(

basically its a new visa as its a new employer or should i say not the employer who got you the 457

George Lombard Oct 2nd 2008 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by gfactor86 (Post 6839298)
Hey

Hi GF,

Yes, you need an entirely new application assuming your current employer qualifies as a sponsor. But if they do, I would be surprised if it takes 8 weeks, most of our applications to the Parramatta Business Centre are only taking about a week at the moment.

Cheers,

George Lombard