British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Suspension of General Skilled Migration - the discussion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/suspension-general-skilled-migration-discussion-667216/)

RAES May 7th 2010 6:52 am

Suspension of General Skilled Migration - the discussion

The DIAC has temporarily suspended accepting GSM applications sub class 175,176 and 475.
Visit: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../whats-new.htm

George Lombard May 7th 2010 7:26 am

Suspension of General Skilled Migration

Official statement today announcing that after today, no new applications for 175, 176 and 475 visas will be accepted until at least 1 July. Apparently this decision was taken without consultation with any stakeholders, and as I write there's still over six hours to make a valid application.

People who would be able to apply except for having a valid IELTS test should consider applying without it, if they are confident of reaching the specified IELTS levels, due to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...hats-new.htm#r .

Statement follows:

The Minister has today announced a temporary suspension of certain general skilled migration visas. The move hopes to ensure that all offshore general skilled applications made after today are in accordance with the occupations included on the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL), to be released later this month. The Minister has not indicated when the suspension will be lifted, however it will be no earlier than the announcement of the new SOL.
The Minister has announced that his Department will not accept applications for the following visa subclasses from 8 May 2010 until further notice:
• Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent;
• Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored; and
• Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored.
Therefore, any applications received by the Department after 8 May 2010 for one of the above visa subclasses will be returned and the visa application charge refunded.
Please note that this suspension does not affect onshore general skilled migration visas.

Cheers,

George Lombard

ROMFT_WO2RN May 7th 2010 7:32 am

Re: Temporary suspension of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) applications

Bu**er :frown:

TRA still not replied so time to wait til new SOL :(

George Lombard May 7th 2010 7:33 am

Re: Suspension of General Skilled Migration

FAQs for the announcement:

Frequently Asked Questions

Temporary suspension of Certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) Applications (Subclasses 175, 176 and 475 Only)
What does temporary suspension involve?
The Australian Government has decided to temporarily suspend the acceptance of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) visa applications. Temporary suspension means that people will not be able to lodge a valid application for an affected GSM visa for the duration of the suspension.
The temporary suspension will apply from 8 May 2010. It is expected that the suspension will cease at the end of the 2009-10 program year, that is at the end of 30 June 2010, subject to the approval of the Governor-General in Council of proposed amendments to the Migration Regulations 1994 to enable implementation of a new Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
If a person makes an application for an affected GSM visa while the suspension is in effect, that application will be considered invalid and returned to them.
What visa subclasses does the suspension apply to?
The temporary suspension applies only to primary (main) applicants for the following visa subclasses:

Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent

Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored and

Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored.
Why is a temporary suspension being implemented?
Australia’s skilled migration program is carefully managed so as to yield the maximum benefit to the Australian economy. It serves a range of economic, social and demographic objectives.
The number of pending GSM applications continues to grow as the demand for GSM places exceeds the available supply. This temporary measure is necessary to ensure that the occupational profile of applicants for GSM clearly reflects the needs of the Australian labour market.
It will also facilitate the transition from the current SOL to the new SOL. It is anticipated that the Government will announce proposed changes to the SOL in May 2010.
How long will the suspension be in effect?
The temporary suspension will start on 8 May 2010 and it is expected to remain in place until the end of the 2009-10 program year, that is, until the end of 30 June 2010.
What is the cut off date and time for accepting applications before the suspension comes into effect?
Any affected GSM applications submitted on or after 8 May 2010 will be considered invalid and will be returned, together with the Visa Application Charge (VAC). However, associated fees such as those incurred for medical examinations, English language tests and skills assessments cannot be refunded as these payments were not made to the Government.
People wishing to submit applications in one of the affected subclasses prior to the suspension coming into effect should do so before midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on 7 May 2010.
When will applications for the affected visas be accepted again?
It is expected that the temporary suspension will cease at the end of the 2009-10 program year, that is at the end of 30 June 2010.
I have already submitted an application for one of the affected visas. How does this change affect me?
If you have already submitted a valid application for one of the affected subclasses, this change does not affect you. Your application will be processed as normal and in accordance with priority processing arrangements.
I have already mailed my application for one of the affected visas. How does this change affect me?
If your application for an affected visa is received by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship before
8 May 2010 then it will be accepted, provided you meet all the other requirements for lodging a valid application. If your application for an affected visa is received after this time, then it will be considered invalid and returned to you together with the VAC.
I have lodged an application for one of the affected visas electronically. How does this change affect me?
If you lodge an application for an affected visa online through the Department’s website before midnight Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) on 7 May 2010, then it will be accepted provided you meet all the other requirements for lodging a valid application. Applicants will not be able to make a valid application for an affected visa from 8 May 2010.
I am in the process of preparing my application for one of the affected visas. How does this change affect me?
If you attempt to submit an application on or after 8 May 2010, your application will be invalid and will be returned to you together with the VAC. You will not be able to lodge a valid application for one of the affected visas until after the temporary suspension is lifted.
I am a holder of a Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored visa. My family want to join me in Australia. Will their applications be affected by this change?
No. Dependants of holders of a Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored visa planning to apply as subsequent entrants are not affected by the temporary suspension. Such applicants should lodge a paper application.
It is not fair that the Government keeps changing the rules. Why was no prior notification given?
A key feature of the migration program is that it is continually reviewed and assessed for its relevance and outcomes in light of the economic and social needs of Australia. The program is modified as these needs change.
The suspension is a temporary measure and is expected to be lifted from the end of the 2009-10 program year, that is at the end of 30 June 2010. It is necessary to ensure the occupational profile of applicants for skilled migration clearly reflects the needs of the Australian labour market and yields the maximum benefit to the Australian economy. It will also facilitate the transition from the current SOL to the new SOL.

johnb1 May 7th 2010 8:06 am

Re: Temporary suspension of certain General Skilled Migration (GSM) applications

thanks for the link, wow i got mine (176 ss) in last friday phew. its horrible this immigration game in it!;)

ausdreams May 7th 2010 8:07 am

Thanks for the updates George !

Do you think, does this move in any way indicate that the priority of the existing applications will not be affected by the new SOL? Since 8-Feb, one of the unanswered questions that many existing applicants have (incl me) is - would the priority of the existing in-process applications be impacted by new SOL, once it is released; or would it be processed as per old SOL priorities itself?

mavine1 May 7th 2010 9:44 am

Originally Posted by George Lombard (Post 8548847)
Official statement today announcing that after today, no new applications for 175, 176 and 475 visas will be accepted until at least 1 July. Apparently this decision was taken without consultation with any stakeholders, and as I write there's still over six hours to make a valid application.

People who would be able to apply except for having a valid IELTS test should consider applying without it, if they are confident of reaching the specified IELTS levels, due to http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...hats-new.htm#r .

Statement follows:

The Minister has today announced a temporary suspension of certain general skilled migration visas. The move hopes to ensure that all offshore general skilled applications made after today are in accordance with the occupations included on the new Skilled Occupation List (SOL), to be released later this month. The Minister has not indicated when the suspension will be lifted, however it will be no earlier than the announcement of the new SOL.
The Minister has announced that his Department will not accept applications for the following visa subclasses from 8 May 2010 until further notice:
• Subclass 175 – Skilled Independent;
• Subclass 176 – Skilled Sponsored; and
• Subclass 475 – Skilled Regional Sponsored.
Therefore, any applications received by the Department after 8 May 2010 for one of the above visa subclasses will be returned and the visa application charge refunded.
Please note that this suspension does not affect onshore general skilled migration visas.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George,
I'm waiting on my ACS assessment and was planning on applying for my visa before 30th June. (I am an Information Technology Manager and think it's likely my occupation will be removed from the new SOL). This is now not an option, so if my occupation is released I guess that's it...do you have any foresight or views on what occupations are likely to stay? I guess all I can do is hold tight...Iformation Technology Manager is unlikey to fit elsewhere so my dream could be over :ohmy:
Thanks
Mavine1

shafaqat309 May 7th 2010 10:05 am

Hi
I have applied on April 21 and I know I am safe but I have not added my new born baby in my application as I don’t have her passport etc, any idea what will happen in her case or is there any way I can inform DIAC about my new baby. Change of circumstances from is available but I cannot fill that completely as I don’t have her Passport number.

fancy May 7th 2010 11:39 am

Hi George,
We are in the very early stages of sorting our visa. We had hoped to go with the 175 or 176. I rang the embassy today to find out about processing application times and I was told about the suspension! We want to go to Perth as I have family there.
I am a nurse and my husband is a building contractor. I have all the relevent criteria needed for the 175, and my husband has been in business owning a Limited Company for well over 10 years.

Should we go ahead......ie; will I go ahead and do my IELTS for nursing etc. (which I need anyway), get our references etc etc etc? Will Visa 175 and 176 definately return??? Or should we look at other options such as my husband applying for State Sponsored Business Visa (or something like this)

I had hoped that I would not have to rely on a work sponsorship visa as I have a young baby and had hoped to do nursing around my husband's working hours for the first few months, until we get settled and find childcare which we are 100% happy with!!

Please Help
Please Help!:huh:

vober May 7th 2010 1:16 pm

Hi George,

My question is with regards to assessment of degree.I am about to send my degree for assessment to EA and with these changes do you think i need to take relook at that or should i proceed with filing my application with them. I know they take 4 months to get back so i am way away from filing with the DIAC and maybe by then, they would have re - opened acceptance of new applications.

Would be highly appreciative of you if you could guide me with regards to this.

Regards,

Vaibhav

seanyg May 7th 2010 1:25 pm

Why have they taken this decision?? :confused:

moneypenny20 May 7th 2010 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by seanyg (Post 8549497)
Why have they taken this decision?? :confused:

It's explained in George's post here

Originally Posted by George Lombard (Post 8548857)
Why is a temporary suspension being implemented?

Australia’s skilled migration program is carefully managed so as to yield the maximum benefit to the Australian economy. It serves a range of economic, social and demographic objectives.
The number of pending GSM applications continues to grow as the demand for GSM places exceeds the available supply. This temporary measure is necessary to ensure that the occupational profile of applicants for GSM clearly reflects the needs of the Australian labour market.
It will also facilitate the transition from the current SOL to the new SOL. It is anticipated that the Government will announce proposed changes to the SOL in May 2010.

Pollyana May 7th 2010 1:36 pm

The reasons for the decision are in the FAQ posted by earlier in the thread.

FAO all posters:
- if you have a question unrelated to this, eg how to add a child to your applciation, please start a new thread.
- if you need specific help on your indivdual case, please conside consulting an agent, possibly George, away from the forum. Complex caes need individual replies and cannot be dealt with on here.
- please remember George does a stirling job updating the forum with info like this FOR FREE. If he doesn't answer at once, be patient, or employ an agent for your own consultation.

Finally, please keep ths thread factual. Rumour and conjecture as to the future of General Skills Migration will be removed.

Bermudashorts May 7th 2010 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by fancy (Post 8549225)
Hi George,
We are in the very early stages of sorting our visa. We had hoped to go with the 175 or 176. I rang the embassy today to find out about processing application times and I was told about the suspension! We want to go to Perth as I have family there.
I am a nurse and my husband is a building contractor. I have all the relevent criteria needed for the 175, and my husband has been in business owning a Limited Company for well over 10 years.

Should we go ahead......ie; will I go ahead and do my IELTS for nursing etc. (which I need anyway), get our references etc etc etc? Will Visa 175 and 176 definately return??? Or should we look at other options such as my husband applying for State Sponsored Business Visa (or something like this)

I had hoped that I would not have to rely on a work sponsorship visa as I have a young baby and had hoped to do nursing around my husband's working hours for the first few months, until we get settled and find childcare which we are 100% happy with!!

Please Help
Please Help!:huh:

It is just a temporary suspension, skilled migration hasn't been abolished and it is highly unlikely that nurses will no longer be able to migrate to Australia. I think your best option is to simply wait for them to start accepting applications again.

foha2012 May 7th 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 8549567)
It is just a temporary suspension, skilled migration hasn't been abolished and it is highly unlikely that nurses will no longer be able to migrate to Australia. I think your best option is to simply wait for them to start accepting applications again.

Thanks Bermuda,

Those were assuring words... Nobody but you have posted something like that on this forum. A great help.

BTW I am waiting for Victoria SS and I have IELTS tommorow, I was preparing for the test when I heard these dreadful news !. Don't know how I will do in my test after facing this much uncertainity regarding my future.

Depressed,

TAA