Surname issues

Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:07 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Surname issues

Hi,

We are starting our application GSM 175 and are trying to get all the papers in order. I have read several threads about similar issues with surnames on papers, but as they are so unique I want to confirm my situation if anyone can help.

My wife has an Italian passport, so on the photo page her surname is still her maiden name, it is only a few pages back where they write an italian word then her married name. I know that for the application we must use the name on the photo page, however, all her documents in the UK use her married name, so the two will not match up. To confuse things more, she changed her name by deed poll as we got married in Greece, so that doesn't legally change her surname through marriage. (Translating the marriage certificate is another issue - I'm still convinced I bought a time share instead of getting married!).

Is it ok to just send all the documents and assume they will work it out or is there something specific I need to do.

thanks,

Swins.
Swins is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:12 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: shaw,oldham
Posts: 78
timmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nicetimmins family is just really nice
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
Hi,

We are starting our application GSM 175 and are trying to get all the papers in order. I have read several threads about similar issues with surnames on papers, but as they are so unique I want to confirm my situation if anyone can help.

My wife has an Italian passport, so on the photo page her surname is still her maiden name, it is only a few pages back where they write an italian word then her married name. I know that for the application we must use the name on the photo page, however, all her documents in the UK use her married name, so the two will not match up. To confuse things more, she changed her name by deed poll as we got married in Greece, so that doesn't legally change her surname through marriage. (Translating the marriage certificate is another issue - I'm still convinced I bought a time share instead of getting married!).

Is it ok to just send all the documents and assume they will work it out or is there something specific I need to do.

thanks,

Swins.
not to sure but generally speaking should she not have a new updated passport with her married name ? if she dosent have one it may be worth getting one.
timmins family is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:21 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surname issues

I would love it to be that simple, but Italian passports never change the surname of the women after marriage, it will always show her maiden name. It is a very strange system, makes it fun flying as well as the name on the tickets and usually different to the name on the passport page, although most check in staff are used to this by now. I still wonder whether it is just going to be easier to get her a British passport first!! When we went to australia at xmas DIC said we should use the name on the photo page only for the ETA even if the tickets were in a different name and we had no problems at all.
Swins is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:29 am
  #4  
HMP Queensland
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,400
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
I would love it to be that simple, but Italian passports never change the surname of the women after marriage, it will always show her maiden name. It is a very strange system, makes it fun flying as well as the name on the tickets and usually different to the name on the passport page, although most check in staff are used to this by now. I still wonder whether it is just going to be easier to get her a British passport first!! When we went to australia at xmas DIC said we should use the name on the photo page only for the ETA even if the tickets were in a different name and we had no problems at all.
If she is eligible for a British passport that would be the easier option, by the sound of it
Pollyana is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:37 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
If she is eligible for a British passport that would be the easier option, by the sound of it
Well thats a whole other question, which I have never looked in to. I'm british and we were married in Greece. No idea how easy it is for her to get a british passport now, with all the new regulations in place?
Swins is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:49 am
  #6  
HMP Queensland
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,400
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
Well thats a whole other question, which I have never looked in to. I'm british and we were married in Greece. No idea how easy it is for her to get a british passport now, with all the new regulations in place?
You live in the UK at present? How long have you been married, and how long has she been in the Uk with you?

I should add that I don't know the answer personally, but the more details theat you can give, the more one of the experts is likely to be able to help.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:55 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
You live in the UK at present? How long have you been married, and how long has she been in the Uk with you?

I should add that I don't know the answer personally, but the more details theat you can give, the more one of the experts is likely to be able to help.
She has been here for 14 years, been married for nearly 3. She has studied here, worked here and we now have a kid here. She has actually never lived in Italy, its just from here dad that she has the passport.

The only thing I have seen about british passport is that is costs £655 and take about 14 weeks and will involve a test of some kind!
Swins is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 11:58 am
  #8  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Surname issues

Don't know if the info you need is here but I found the Italian site for Aus Migration. I didn't look through it, just seeing if there was one http://www.italy.embassy.gov.au/rome...Migration.html

Anyway, it may be worth her while contacting them. They would see your problem all the time.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:02 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by moneypen20 View Post
Don't know if the info you need is here but I found the Italian site for Aus Migration. I didn't look through it, just seeing if there was one http://www.italy.embassy.gov.au/rome...Migration.html

Anyway, it may be worth her while contacting them. They would see your problem all the time.
Thanks, I will look in to that one, hadn't thought about trying that route, but anything that means I don't have to resubmit all those forms has got to be worth it.
Swins is offline  
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 12:20 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Currently Sydney, but returning to UK in April
Posts: 504
AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Surname issues

I think I'd go with the name that's on the passport biodata page and put her married name in the 'have you been known by any other names' section of the application. I would also write a covering letter explaining the situation. I'm sure it's something DIAC must have seen many, many times
AHamm is offline  
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:33 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 506
badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Re: Surname issues

we got married in jamaica in december and my passport still has my previous married name (mainly as i refused to pay £75 for a new one when iv had the old one about 9 months!). my visa application was sent under my old married name as well as listing my maiden and new married name! (not sure how this would work if visa was granted as if i change my name on my passport it would be different to name on visa) so much confusing red tape to cross before we are at the finish line. good luck with your application

also my children have different names than on their birth certificate so we had to incude change of name deeds for this too!

nothing if simple with us!
badassbrickie is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:14 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
ice mocha's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: still in the UK!!!
Posts: 1,104
ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
Hi,

We are starting our application GSM 175 and are trying to get all the papers in order. I have read several threads about similar issues with surnames on papers, but as they are so unique I want to confirm my situation if anyone can help.

My wife has an Italian passport, so on the photo page her surname is still her maiden name, it is only a few pages back where they write an italian word then her married name. I know that for the application we must use the name on the photo page, however, all her documents in the UK use her married name, so the two will not match up. To confuse things more, she changed her name by deed poll as we got married in Greece, so that doesn't legally change her surname through marriage. (Translating the marriage certificate is another issue - I'm still convinced I bought a time share instead of getting married!).

Is it ok to just send all the documents and assume they will work it out or is there something specific I need to do.

thanks,

Swins.
interesting, exactly what my Malaysian passport is like!! the photo page shows my maiden name and then few pages later, my married name. so whenever something requests for my passport, i always send copies of the 2 pages. has never been a problem so far..
did cross my mind about getting a british passport (which i can easily) but as a Malaysian we're not allowed dual nationality. i wanted to keep my passport.. so i get best of both worlds!! call me greedy
ice mocha is offline  
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:59 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 28
Swins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by badassbrickie View Post
we got married in jamaica in december and my passport still has my previous married name (mainly as i refused to pay £75 for a new one when iv had the old one about 9 months!). my visa application was sent under my old married name as well as listing my maiden and new married name! (not sure how this would work if visa was granted as if i change my name on my passport it would be different to name on visa) so much confusing red tape to cross before we are at the finish line. good luck with your application

also my children have different names than on their birth certificate so we had to incude change of name deeds for this too!

nothing if simple with us!
Well if that all works out then I don't think we will have much to worry about at all!
Good luck, I hope you get an understanding CO.
Swins is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:02 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 94
Bigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really niceBigaitch is just really nice
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
She has been here for 14 years, been married for nearly 3. She has studied here, worked here and we now have a kid here. She has actually never lived in Italy, its just from here dad that she has the passport.

The only thing I have seen about british passport is that is costs £655 and take about 14 weeks and will involve a test of some kind!
Dear Swins,
With regards your wife and the British passport. My understanding is that after living in the UK as your wife for 5 years or more, she is entitled to a British passport should she wish to apply for one, without any strings attached. I gleaned this information from the British Counsel in Jakarta 8 years ago when I got married. My wife is Indonesian, we actually never returned to the UK. There may have been changes over the years, but certainly worth checking out. Is it really that expensive to get a British passport?
Kind regards
H.

Last edited by Bigaitch; Apr 1st 2008 at 4:04 am. Reason: Oversight
Bigaitch is offline  
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:15 am
  #15  
mrt
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 121
mrt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Surname issues

Originally Posted by Swins View Post
Hi,

We are starting our application GSM 175 and are trying to get all the papers in order. I have read several threads about similar issues with surnames on papers, but as they are so unique I want to confirm my situation if anyone can help.

My wife has an Italian passport, so on the photo page her surname is still her maiden name, it is only a few pages back where they write an italian word then her married name. I know that for the application we must use the name on the photo page, however, all her documents in the UK use her married name, so the two will not match up. To confuse things more, she changed her name by deed poll as we got married in Greece, so that doesn't legally change her surname through marriage. (Translating the marriage certificate is another issue - I'm still convinced I bought a time share instead of getting married!).

Is it ok to just send all the documents and assume they will work it out or is there something specific I need to do.

thanks,

Swins.
Hi,
I,ve got THREE surnames myself!!! Long story, have degrees, school certificates under one name and wedding cert under another. I applied making sure to fill in the part on whether I have different names well. Also try to provide as much legal proof as you can.
I think it is best to use the name on your passport as the "main" name since the visa will logically be issued on that name
mrt is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.