British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Subclass 309/100 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/subclass-309-100-a-490545/)

Vince P Oct 30th 2007 11:48 am

Subclass 309/100

Hi. I have done a search of "309" and have not found what I was looking for.

Background: I am a Aus citizen and permanent resident in the US. In Dec 05 we applied for Subclass 309/100 in Washington DC for my wife. In Jan 06, 309 was issued and we activated it on a visit to Australia in Mar/Apr 06.

Questions:
1. Does my wife need to maintain residency for all/some of the time in Australia during the two year wait for "Permanent Spouse Visa Subclass 100".
2. We have maintained the same address in the US since originally applying, so does the Subclass 100 issue happen automatically, that is, will they mail something to us asking us to demonstrate that we are still together, etc at the two year anniversary of the issue of the 309? If no what do I do to get that process started?

Thanks,

Vince

welshtony Oct 30th 2007 11:57 am

Re: Subclass 309/100

Originally Posted by Vince P (Post 5488306)
Hi. I have done a search of "309" and have not found what I was looking for.

Background: I am a Aus citizen and permanent resident in the US. In Dec 05 we applied for Subclass 309/100 in Washington DC for my wife. In Jan 06, 309 was issued and we activated it on a visit to Australia in Mar/Apr 06.

Questions:
1. Does my wife need to maintain residency for all/some of the time in Australia during the two year wait for "Permanent Spouse Visa Subclass 100".
2. We have maintained the same address in the US since originally applying, so does the Subclass 100 issue happen automatically, that is, will they mail something to us asking us to demonstrate that we are still together, etc at the two year anniversary of the issue of the 309? If no what do I do to get that process started?

Thanks,

Vince

No need to be in Australia particularly. Usually, about 2 months before the 2 year anniversary of the date of the 309/100 application, Immigration write out to you to update your police clearance and complete certain forms and provide evidence of your relationship for the previous 2 years. If you intend to be in the US, advise the processing office that you are still in the US and wish to be processed outside of Australia. They may need to retrieve file if it has been sent to the Australian processing office in the State where you indicated you would settle.

Your wife will need an updated local US and FBI clearance and maybe an Australian police clearance ( if she has lived in Australia for an aggregate of 12 months or more in the past 10 years.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Vince P Oct 30th 2007 12:02 pm

Re: Subclass 309/100

Originally Posted by welshtony (Post 5488341)
No need to be in Australia particularly. Usually, about 2 months before the 2 year anniversary of the date of the 309/100 application, Immigration write out to you to update your police clearance and complete certain forms and provide evidence of your relationship for the previous 2 years. If you intend to be in the US, advise the processing office that you are still in the US and wish to be processed outside of Australia. They may need to retrieve file if it has been sent to the Australian processing office in the State where you indicated you would settle.

Your wife will need an updated local US and FBI clearance and maybe an Australian police clearance ( if she has lived in Australia for an aggregate of 12 months or more in the past 10 years.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896

Tony,
Terrific response, thanks. This site has been a great help with me navigating the US immigration process and now my wife the Australian process (which seems much easier!)
Cheers,
Vince