Subclass 189 Visa Education Requirement.

Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

ashftc89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Subclass 189 Visa Education Requirement.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the education requirement for subclass 189 visa. The question might sound tricky but I will try my best to be as simple and straight forward as I can.

Basically, I have my Bachelors in Performance Management and my Masters in Finance. I am also part qualified Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (CIMA) and my bachelors was a topup through CIMA qualification. All these qualifications were achieved from UK.

I have a post qualification work experience as an Accountant for around 12 months now.

My question is I do not have a direct Bachelors or Masters Degree in Accounting, i.e., MSc. Accounting etc. But I have a strong Accounting knowledge through CIMA and Accounting work experience. Am I eligible to apply for Australian Subclass 189 as an Accountant General or Management Accountant based on the scenario I have mentioned prior or do I have to have a degree in Accounting.

P.S. I have the required IELTS.

Thank you all for your time and concerns.

Regards

Muhammad.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 8:37 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subclass 189 Visa Education Requirement.

Originally Posted by ashftc89
Hello,

I have a question regarding the education requirement for subclass 189 visa. The question might sound tricky but I will try my best to be as simple and straight forward as I can.

Basically, I have my Bachelors in Performance Management and my Masters in Finance. I am also part qualified Chartered Institute of Management Accountant (CIMA) and my bachelors was a topup through CIMA qualification. All these qualifications were achieved from UK.

I have a post qualification work experience as an Accountant for around 12 months now.

My question is I do not have a direct Bachelors or Masters Degree in Accounting, i.e., MSc. Accounting etc. But I have a strong Accounting knowledge through CIMA and Accounting work experience. Am I eligible to apply for Australian Subclass 189 as an Accountant General or Management Accountant based on the scenario I have mentioned prior or do I have to have a degree in Accounting.

Regards

Muhammad.
Hi Muhammed,

You would need to get your skills assessed by the relevant body - http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...nt-general.htm
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Yes I do know that but before I apply for the assessment which will cost me around 450$ I just wanted to have an idea that there is a good enough chance for acceptance based on my Masters in Finance. I don't wanted to waste the hard earned money by having a simple reason that the degree should be in Accounting. Sorry I am not trying to be stingy here but want to spend my money effectively and make it worthy enough. Hope you understand.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do know that but before I apply for the assessment which will cost me around 450$ I just wanted to have an idea that there is a good enough chance for acceptance based on my Masters in Finance. I don't wanted to waste the hard earned money by having a simple reason that the degree should be in Accounting. Sorry I am not trying to be stingy here but want to spend my money effectively and make it worthy enough. Hope you understand.
Sorry, I misunderstood. The way your post was written I wasn't sure if you thought you could just apply without having skills assessed first. What do the guidelines say? Do they ask for an accounting degree?
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your understanding. I do understand that my question was tricky and might be my approach towards questioning was a bit complex. Well I have tried to find a clear information regarding this on pretty much websites over the internet but couldn't find what I was looking for. Let me make it more simpler.

"Can I apply for Subclass 189 as an Accountant or Management Account with Masters in Finance degree + Part qualified Accounting Degree + Bachelors in Performance Management + 12 months Accounting Experience"

Regards

Muhammad.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:21 am

Thank you for your understanding. I do understand that my question was tricky and might be my approach towards questioning was a bit complex. Well I have tried to find a clear information regarding this on pretty much websites over the internet but couldn't find what I was looking for. Let me make it more simpler.

"Can I apply for Subclass 189 as an Accountant or Management Account with Masters in Finance degree + Part qualified Accounting Degree + Bachelors in Performance Management + 12 months Accounting Experience"

Regards

Muhammad.
The answer remains that you need skills assessment, and that is who you must satisfy. This is what CPA say regarding assessment - http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...-criteria.html

Do you satisfy the criteria?

If you satisfy the criteria, and have a positive skills assessment, as well as IELTS, you can lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) and if selected, you will be invited to apply for your visa.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Following to the link you have provided me:

On General Skilled Migration Section it says:

To receive a positive result for your chosen Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) code, you will need:

a qualification that is assessed by CPA Australia as equivalent to at least an Australian Bachelor degree
to have successfully studied in at least nine of the 12 "core knowledge areas", including the four mandatory core knowledge areas that are relevant to your chosen ANZSCO code
to have met the English proficiency requirement.

And On Temporary Skilled Migration it says:

To receive a positive result for your chosen ANZSCO code, you will need:

an Australian Bachelor or 12 Unit Master degree majoring in accounting
to have successfully studied in at least nine of the 12 "core knowledge areas", including the four mandatory core knowledge areas that are relevant to your chosen ANZSCO code

So the section which is bold is confusing me. For temporary visa it clearly mentioned that the degree should have a major in Accounting where as for the General Skilled Migration a degree that should be equivalent to Oz Bachelors or Masters. (Nothing mentioned that degree should be in Accounting)
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:33 am

Following to the link you have provided me:

On General Skilled Migration Section it says:

To receive a positive result for your chosen Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) code, you will need:

a qualification that is assessed by CPA Australia as equivalent to at least an Australian Bachelor degree

And On Temporary Skilled Migration it says:

To receive a positive result for your chosen ANZSCO code, you will need:

an Australian Bachelor or 12 Unit Master degree majoring in accounting

So the section which is bold is confusing me. For temporary visa it clearly mentioned that the degree should have a major in Accounting where as for the General Skilled Migration a degree that should be equivalent to Oz Bachelors or Masters. (Nothing mentioned that degree should be in Accounting)
I'm not sure why there would be a difference - but you are planning on a permanent move, so you need to satisfy those conditions.

But as you can tell, I'm not in accounting, although there are a few who are members, so perhaps one of them will be along later with some better advice.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your information. Well yea I hope somebody does Thanks anyway.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:04 am
PR33T

PR33T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Regards

Muhammad.
With a Bachelors Degree in any field and Full CIMA Certification, you will likely pass the assessment.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

I have not completed CIMA. I have completed 11 out of 15 papers and have a Masters in Finance with 12 months management accounting experience. What are the potential chances?

Last edited by ashftc89; Jul 2nd 2013 at 10:31 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 2:13 pm
PR33T

PR33T is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not completed CIMA. I have completed 11 out of 15 papers and have a Masters in Finance with 12 months management accounting experience. What are the potential chances?
9 out of 12 subjects will be difficult to match with your Bachelors and Masters in Finance.
Even the negative assessment will help you find out the subjects that need to be passed to get a Positive Assessment. or else wait till you complete the CIMA.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

So according to your advice I have two options:

A. Either complete my CIMA and then apply.

B. Apply now with whatever I have done and in an unlikely event if assessment is negative I will find out what more I have to do?

That makes a bit of sense. I have heard that in a negative assessment they recommend to complete some papers from CPA foundation level. I.e., if CPA foundation level is cleared according to the link provided below, 10 out of 12 subjects are cleared. Please refer to the link and provide me the confirmation if you or anybody else can.

Thanks a ton in advance.

http://www.cpaaustralia.com.au/cps/r...ation-faq.html

Please read Question Number 10.