Subclass 189 visa

Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Gnomals is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Subclass 189 visa

Hi,

My partner and I are looking to migrate to Australia on a skilled independent visa (subclass 189). He is a qualified electrician and is also currently working in the Aerospace industry with a degree in Aerospace, both of which are on the SOL. With the skilled independent visa, are you then restricted to only working in the sector of your nominated profession or do you have freedom to work in other areas too?

Thanks!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subclass 189 visa

Originally Posted by Gnomals
Hi,

My partner and I are looking to migrate to Australia on a skilled independent visa (subclass 189). He is a qualified electrician and is also currently working in the Aerospace industry with a degree in Aerospace, both of which are on the SOL. With the skilled independent visa, are you then restricted to only working in the sector of your nominated profession or do you have freedom to work in other areas too?

Thanks!
You can work in any field you wish - or not at all if that suits you better
Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Pollyana!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:47 pm
Wannabe PPP

With All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to allWith All Due Respect... is a name known to all

May not be applicable, but just as a heads up - If he's working as an (L)AME then you might want to check that SOL again due to relatively recent changes. I'd imagine if he's a licensed sparkie too though that you could fiddle with job titles and experience to get yourselves in. Once you're in on a 189 you can work as whatever and wherever you wish (or can find employment).
Old Jun 11th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by With All Due Respect...
May not be applicable, but just as a heads up - If he's working as an (L)AME then you might want to check that SOL again due to relatively recent changes. I'd imagine if he's a licensed sparkie too though that you could fiddle with job titles and experience to get yourselves in. Once you're in on a 189 you can work as whatever and wherever you wish (or can find employment).
Thanks for the heads up! Will keep an eye on that. Like you said I think we should be ok anyway as he has 5 years experience working as an electrician too
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

welshsteven is an unknown quantity at this point

just curious.... how did you get on? what progress have you made so far. im looking to do the same