Wikiposts

Subclass 136 while in Australia

Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light
Question Subclass 136 while in Australia

Hello all,

Does anyone know if it is ok to lodge an application for general skilled migration (subclass136 - independent) while in Australia on a tourist visa.

I know you must be offshore at the time of visa grant but the info on DIMIA website seems to suggest it can be lodged while onshore... Just wondering if this is true?

Any advice gratefully recieved
Thanks,
Madhu
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:34 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subclass 136 while in Australia

Originally Posted by mvt550
Hello all,

Does anyone know if it is ok to lodge an application for general skilled migration (subclass136 - independent) while in Australia on a tourist visa.
Madhu,

A 136 application can certainly be lodged when the applicant is lawfully in Australia.

Peter
Old Aug 18th 2005, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

milindbe will become famous soon enoughmilindbe will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ptlabs
Madhu,

A 136 application can certainly be lodged when the applicant is lawfully in Australia.

Peter
..but you have to have off-shore address when sending application..
Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

mvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of lightmvt550 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks very much.

Has anyone actually done this?

And have the rules to allow this recently been changed?

It's just that a migration agent who I spoke to today said this was not possible and I wondered if there was an excuse for his incorrect information?

Also, if I do this, assuming my tourist visa lasts long enough, can I remain in Australia until the visa grant and then fly overseas to obtain the visa grant?

Thanks again

Madhu

Last edited by mvt550; Aug 18th 2005 at 5:41 am. Reason: More info requested
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvt550
Thanks very much.

Has anyone actually done this?

And have the rules to allow this recently been changed?

It's just that a migration agent who I spoke to today said this was not possible and I wondered if there was an excuse for his incorrect information?
You definitely can apply for 136 while in Australia - unless your visa has condition 8503 (no further stay).

Also, if I do this, assuming my tourist visa lasts long enough, can I remain in Australia until the visa grant and then fly overseas to obtain the visa grant?

Thanks again

Madhu

There is no bridging visa available for offshore applicants. You can stay in Australia as long as your visa permits, but not a day longer.

Jeremy
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milindbe
..but you have to have off-shore address when sending application..

No you don't.

Lots of people apply for 136 while living in Australia, eg on a 457 visa.

Jeremy
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much Jeremy,

As you are obviously very wise with regards to all this do you also know if I can apply to extend my tourist visa after lodging the 136 application or indeed fly to NZ etc to apply for a new ETA after lodging?!

Thanks
Madhu