Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Subclass 115 (last remaining relative) visa questions?

Wikiposts

Subclass 115 (last remaining relative) visa questions?

Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:39 am
nja
Forum Regular

nja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Subclass 115 (last remaining relative) visa questions?

I recently obtained my permanent resident visa (175)and plan to migrate to Australia next year. We have 2 daughters (both of whom will be migrating with us) and a 25 year old son. Our son would like to migrate with us but I was unable to put him on my visa application due to his age. We know about the Last Living Relative visa (subclass 115) and it would appear that we and he meet all the requirements to succeed in obtaining such a visa. However, as soon to be residents we're not sure when we can start the visa? or how long it typically takes? Has anyone insight to either or both of these questions.

Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2010, 10:50 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Subclass 115 (last remaining relative) visa questions?

If you do need to be 'usually resident' in order to apply for the LRR visa, maybe your son could join you here first on a working holiday visa whilst you settle. It has often been discussed on here that usually resident includes things like house (rent or own) other kids settled in school and employment. I imagine these things could be achieved within the validity of a WHV.

Maybe get a quick consult with an immigration agent to confirm all requirements.

Good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 12:36 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Usually you need to be "settled" to sponsor for a last remaining relative visa, and that normally requires 2 years residence. Also consider the Assurance of Support. Perhaps read the relevant migration booklet which should confirm?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Lisa00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Usually you need to be "settled" to sponsor for a last remaining relative visa, and that normally requires 2 years residence.
There are lots of arguments about if these 2 years of residence must be with PR status or the period of legal residence with TR status can also be included in these 2 years. What do you think?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 4:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa00
There are lots of arguments about if these 2 years of residence must be with PR status or the period of legal residence with TR status can also be included in these 2 years. What do you think?
No reason why it can't include temporary residence, as long as the "settled" bit comes into it. Many people start life here on temp visas and by the time they get PR they perm jobs, houses, kids in school, credit cards etc - all signs that someone intends to "live" here rather than just "visit".
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No reason why it can't include temporary residence, as long as the "settled" bit comes into it. Many people start life here on temp visas and by the time they get PR they perm jobs, houses, kids in school, credit cards etc - all signs that someone intends to "live" here rather than just "visit".
Dear Pollyana, thank you very much for such a quick reply which I find positive for my case perhaps you also have some information on a time line for this class of visa? I will apply to Moscow embassy, and they say an average processing time is 10 months. It sounds quite optimistic I would say...
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Pollyana, thank you very much for such a quick reply which I find positive for my case perhaps you also have some information on a time line for this class of visa? I will apply to Moscow embassy, and they say an average processing time is 10 months. It sounds quite optimistic I would say...
Very optimistic I am afraid. According to immi.gov.au you can expect a "substantial wait" for this visa. By this I would expect several years.
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 8:38 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Very optimistic I am afraid. According to immi.gov.au you can expect a "substantial wait" for this visa. By this I would expect several years.
Substantial wait might be four or more years. Anyone who can possibly apply for a remaining relative visa should be considering applying onshore - for example after a period on a student visa.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Nina2 is an unknown quantity at this point

With a PR holder, once you arrived in Australia, if you would like to sponsor your son as a last remaining relative, you should be able to do so. I don't think you need to wait for 2 years to settle first. If you are assured by someone else for 2 years to come to Australia, then you need to wait until your assurance of support is expired, then you can be an assurer for you son.
In term of processing time. 1/ depending on the country where you lodged your application; 2/ before 1 July 2010, it took less than a year for the application to be processed.
After lodging an application for my family member, I was told that it will take 6 mths for the application to be processed. After nearly a year waiting, I am now told that due to the changed after 1st July 2010, there is no time frame for this type of visa.
It would worthwise to explore whether it would be a better option to find a way to apply onshore rather than offshore, regardless how long you have to wait, at least your whole family is here.

Good luck!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Nina2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am wondering, if the application has already been lodged in, is there any way that we could find out from immigration how many applications are above our application?

Thank you
Nina
Old Jan 16th 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

]quote=Nina2]It would worthwise to explore whether it would be a better option to find a way to apply onshore rather than offshore, regardless how long you have to wait, at least your whole family is here.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

that would be a good idea only if you don't have to find a job... at lease as an adult you need to have a permission to work.

Last edited by Pollyana; Feb 17th 2011 at 12:34 am. Reason: fixing quote
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

frizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nice

Hi,

I applied for an offshore LRR relative visa from London in December 2010 and was told the current wait is 12 months.

Now, whether that holds true is another matter, but thats what I have been told so far by my CO.

Kirst
Old Feb 17th 2011, 12:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

]quote=Nina2]It would worthwise to explore whether it would be a better option to find a way to apply onshore rather than offshore, regardless how long you have to wait, at least your whole family is here.

Good luck!
that would be a good idea only if you don't have to find a job... at lease as an adult you need to have a permission to work.[/QUOTE]
There are plenty of visas which include permission to work, from which its possible to apply onshore - and thus have a job at the same time. Student visa as mentioned before is one of them. If planning to come on this route and apply onshore just make sure that the visa one arrives on is one from which you can apply for LRR.
http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/fami...-applicant.htm
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frizzy1
Hi,

I applied for an offshore LRR relative visa from London in December 2010 and was told the current wait is 12 months.

Now, whether that holds true is another matter, but thats what I have been told so far by my CO.

Kirst
I think you have been misinformed. DIAC itself describes the LRR visa as having a "substantial wait", they would not call 12 months a substantial wait, in fact that would be quite quick for a permanent visa.
Old Feb 17th 2011, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

vivchis69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think you have been misinformed. DIAC itself describes the LRR visa as having a "substantial wait", they would not call 12 months a substantial wait, in fact that would be quite quick for a permanent visa.
My Mum is applyng for the CPV and her agent has advised its six months for LRR visa so that is going to very dissapointing if that is the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.