Study to Visa 885

Old Apr 8th 2009, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Study to Visa 885

I am trying to help my cousin move to Aus she has been here on a 1yr work visa which has know ran out, she did not realise how much she would miss it here.

Anyway I have been reading the immi site and I am i right is saying that if she completes 2yr os full time study for a skill on the SOL that she can move over to a sub class 885 visa? or does she still need the 1yr experience ? if so is there a visa that will allow her to do this in Aus ?

Thanks for any help

Martin
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

tieve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Study to Visa 885

If she is happy to pay for International Student fees and only be allowed to work 20hrs a week during course terms then I don't see anything stopping her.

Make sure that the course she chooses is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) http://cricos.deewr.gov.au/. And I think the course has to give 50 or 60 pts on SOL to qualify for an 885 from memory.

Do a quick count to see how many points she would have at the end of her course (remembering how old she would be upon finishing the course etc). If she is only 10pts short for applying for 885 Visa by that stage, then she could sit IELTS to gain an extra 10. She could do this during her student visa and be ready to apply for an 885 at the end of that visa.

If this still leaves her short she can applying for a Graduate 485 Visa which allows you to stay on in Australia for 18mths to gain the extra 10pts as work experience.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tieve
If she is happy to pay for International Student fees and only be allowed to work 20hrs a week during course terms then I don't see anything stopping her.

Make sure that the course she chooses is on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) http://cricos.deewr.gov.au/. And I think the course has to give 50 or 60 pts on SOL to qualify for an 885 from memory.

Do a quick count to see how many points she would have at the end of her course (remembering how old she would be upon finishing the course etc). If she is only 10pts short for applying for 885 Visa by that stage, then she could sit IELTS to gain an extra 10. She could do this during her student visa and be ready to apply for an 885 at the end of that visa.

If this still leaves her short she can applying for a Graduate 485 Visa which allows you to stay on in Australia for 18mths to gain the extra 10pts as work experience.

Hope this helps

Thats great news , so no work experince needed then ?

Martin
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tabby
Thats great news , so no work experince needed then ?

Martin
If she can make 120pts with IELTS, then nope! Just need the 120pts to apply

I think the only thing to watch out for is that you're never going to know the SOL situation come the end of her course. A 60pt occupation might drop to 50pts, or drop off completely!

Like I said though if she does need a years work experience (for points), then the 485 Visa is specifically for this! It's 18mths to give time to get extra points
Old Apr 9th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

The work experiance depends on what course she does, and what assessing body it is under. The most common courses WILL need work experiance. I believe there are some degrees which you do not need the experiance, but I'm not totally sure, but these are far longer and more expensive than the trade courses.

Most people coming on student visas do a two year course (cheaper) for a trade, which would be assessed by TRA. TRA requires you to have 900 hours of work experiance before they will give a positive assessment (must be seperate to the course). So most likely she WILL need to do some relevant work.

It is also not just a case of finding a job off the list that you want to do and studying it for two years. For example, child care coordinator. This is assessed by TRA, BUT you need either a degree (dipolma not good enough) or a diploma and FIVE years experiance of running a child care facility with at least 20 children. This job is not elegable for the lessened work experiance that they accept for some other jobs.
So you see it can be very confusing.

Most people do hairdressing, cooking, some form of building, gardening. If she has more money and time things like nursing etc.

Good luck
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
The work experiance depends on what course she does, and what assessing body it is under. The most common courses WILL need work experiance. I believe there are some degrees which you do not need the experiance, but I'm not totally sure, but these are far longer and more expensive than the trade courses.

Most people coming on student visas do a two year course (cheaper) for a trade, which would be assessed by TRA. TRA requires you to have 900 hours of work experiance before they will give a positive assessment (must be seperate to the course). So most likely she WILL need to do some relevant work.

It is also not just a case of finding a job off the list that you want to do and studying it for two years. For example, child care coordinator. This is assessed by TRA, BUT you need either a degree (dipolma not good enough) or a diploma and FIVE years experiance of running a child care facility with at least 20 children. This job is not elegable for the lessened work experiance that they accept for some other jobs.
So you see it can be very confusing.

Most people do hairdressing, cooking, some form of building, gardening. If she has more money and time things like nursing etc.

Good luck
Ah I'm glad you clarified that! I'm sorry I had no idea it was like that - I just assumed it was all the way I did it. Oops! I'm guessing then that it's all down to the skills assessment then? Some skills they say yae for having done the course, and some say nae because they need experience?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, perhaps the best thing is to google the 885 visa, as the information is there. The 885 visa is points based, so 120 points are needed. If you go down the academic route, then you must study for at least 2 years and fulfill the 2 year study rule. At the moment you get 5 points for a degree and if you choose a regional area to study you get an extra 5 points. So check if you can achieve the needed 120. The 485 graduate visa is there as previously mentioned, to gain 10 points extra for work experience. If you go down the study route, it's important to be aware of any changes to the immigration rules while you are studying, as you might have to add on extra study.
A masters is worth 15 points, but you must have studied here for 3 years and have also studied for a degree during that time.
Hope that helps.
Old May 23rd 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

effortsneverfail is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear All,

I am working in dubai since 8 years as IT Executive - Support now i wanna go to Australia for studies main plan to get residency. but initially want to go on student visa to enter there. i am not graduate but done lot of certification in IT industry. so in which course i need to apply to get student visa easily and what is ther procedure to apply student visa.. please if anyone can help me out i will be very thank full to you people.

Best regards,
Effortsneverfail