Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Study option - non married partners - same sex

Study option - non married partners - same sex

Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

sparkmarkirl will become famous soon enough
Default Study option - non married partners - same sex

Hey guys,

At the start of the year I had paid and accepted a 2 year course in WA - in hairdressing with a view to it leading to PR - my partner of 3 years had also applied under his own steam to study bakery - one thing lead to another - a very sick mother in law and we had to cancel our courses and trips - it was a long illness - we ended up caring for J's mother. We have run out of savings we had made up for Oz - caring for an ill relative is not cheap but - family is by far more important than a fat wallet.

So my BIG question

The only way to Oz and leading to PR for us is through the Study option.
We are a same sex couple of 3.5 years now. Is it possible for Jason to apply to study something like hairdressing or bakery and for me to go with him as his partner?

I understand I would only be able to work 20hrs pw - that's fine - but would it be possible for same sex partners to do this? Would Jason also be allowed to work to build up his 900hrs?

We still want to move to Perth, WA - Jason has family there and we loved every minute we were there last time.

Any help or advice would be greatly received
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Study option - non married partners - same sex

I can't answer your questions ref same sex partners on visas. I'm sure they'll be someone along soon that can!!

But i can say that most courses provided for international students include the 900 hrs that TRA will need when assessing you for PR.

Good starting point when researching courses:

http://cricos.deewr.gov.au/?Redirect=Y

Good luck with your plans for the future

Tracy
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:43 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkmarkirl
Hey guys,

At the start of the year I had paid and accepted a 2 year course in WA - in hairdressing with a view to it leading to PR - my partner of 3 years had also applied under his own steam to study bakery - one thing lead to another - a very sick mother in law and we had to cancel our courses and trips - it was a long illness - we ended up caring for J's mother. We have run out of savings we had made up for Oz - caring for an ill relative is not cheap but - family is by far more important than a fat wallet.

So my BIG question

We are a same sex couple of 3.5 years now. Is it possible for Jason to apply to study something like hairdressing or bakery and for me to go with him as his partner?

I understand I would only be able to work 20hrs pw - that's fine - but would it be possible for same sex partners to do this? Would Jason also be allowed to work to build up his 900hrs?

We still want to move to Perth, WA - Jason has family there and we loved every minute we were there last time.

Hi Mark,

A lot of people in your situation end up coming on separate student visas and doing the same course. However I would suggest you contact David Moss at GLITF: http://www.glitf.org.au/ . He's a tad more knowledgeable than the forum :-(

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tasmas
But i can say that most courses provided for international students include the 900 hrs that TRA will need when assessing you for PR.
Just be aware that most courses DO NOT include the 900 hours. TAFE courses who have far more courses than the private companies and they do not include the 900 hours (which is a shame, as I would love to have it all arranged for me).
It is only private courses which MAY include the 900 hours, and then it only seems to be hairdressing ones that do. I have met someone on a private chefs course here in Adelaide who has to find his own work.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sparkmarkirl
Hey guys,

So my BIG question

Hiya, must have been a pretty heart wrenching time for you guys I'm sure your MIL would have really appreciated you both being there for her. .

Would you not be classed as a de-fecto spouse or a 'dependant' on Jason's visa? Really not sure but hope this is this case.

We're over on a student visa just now. . . 1 year in and absolutely loving it!!

Hubbie is studying Cabinet Making and has managed to get his 900 hours without any problem. . though yeah, he had to find a job himself and others on his course have struggled.

You can both work up to 20 hours per week each, but the 'student' is able to work unlimited hours during the holidays.

Good luck!!
Mandy
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Just be aware that most courses DO NOT include the 900 hours. TAFE courses who have far more courses than the private companies and they do not include the 900 hours (which is a shame, as I would love to have it all arranged for me).
It is only private courses which MAY include the 900 hours, and then it only seems to be hairdressing ones that do. I have met someone on a private chefs course here in Adelaide who has to find his own work.
I stand corrected, I've spent months looking at private courses (hairdressing) so thats where my info came from. I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I am going with the Tafe on the Fraser Coast - they do not include the 900 hrs however they do get you vocational placement as part of your course. There is the opportunity to gain further employment with these vocational placements to get your hrs in for TRA. Depends how hard you work to impress i suppose.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Mark,

A lot of people in your situation end up coming on separate student visas and doing the same course. However I would suggest you contact David Moss at GLITF: http://www.glitf.org.au/ . He's a tad more knowledgeable than the forum :-(

Cheers,

George Lombard
Thanks George - I did get in touch
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
yeah it's a little confusing - but thanks for the advice - I'll have to tread carefully