Wikiposts

Student Visas?

Old Aug 20th 2005, 4:30 am
Just Joined

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Student Visas?

Hi guys,
My family is applying to immigrate to Australia and one of my best friends wants to came along in a few years, mostlikely on a student visa, what I'm wondering is can his study be an apprenticeship and could he apply for perminant residence at the end of it?
Thanks for any help,
Dave (AKA Bugger)
Old Aug 20th 2005, 5:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visas?

Originally Posted by Bugger
Hi guys,
My family is applying to immigrate to Australia and one of my best friends wants to came along in a few years, mostlikely on a student visa, what I'm wondering is can his study be an apprenticeship and could he apply for perminant residence at the end of it?
Thanks for any help,
Dave (AKA Bugger)

He probably won't be able to get residence at the end. Why doesn't he study in the UK and apply to migrate once he's qualified?

Most apprenticeships are taken up by Australian citizens and permanent residents (why should an employer consider a foreigner when he can hire the Australian next in line?)

Jeremy
Old Aug 20th 2005, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Bugger is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, Thanks any way, we were going to go into business together and seems to me to be a good idea to get started as early as possible,
Dave (AKA Bugger)
Old Aug 20th 2005, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bugger
Hi guys,
Thanks for any help,
Dave (AKA Bugger)
Yes of course you can!

http://www.newapprenticeships.gov.au/ will help with apprentiships, but to apply for PR after studies you have to obtain a min of a Cert III and complete 2 years of study. The 2 year rule is getting shortened to 16 months with some courses in September.

Search this forum for 'student visa' there is loads to read!

Don't get me wrong, there is no guarantee of success with PR as DIMIA or Assessing bodies criteria can change anytime, but it CAN be done!

Also take into account you will need funds to 'keep' yourself and anyone you bring on your visa. You'll also need to pay for kids schooling, and have private healthcare!

It is not a cheap route into Australia, without any guarantee of success as I say, but don't listen to anyone who tells you it can't be done.

I met 2 people in Oz only a few weeks ago who did this very thing!

Came to Oz on a student visa, obtained a Cert III qualification, applied for PR, and both have it now!
Old Aug 20th 2005, 7:05 pm

orangestreet will become famous soon enough

Are they reducing it (two year rule) to 16 months in September ? Where did you get that info from ? Will be delighted if that is the case...
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by orangestreet
Are they reducing it (two year rule) to 16 months in September ? Where did you get that info from ? Will be delighted if that is the case...
I was told this by one of the people that had just got their PR. I was out in Oz a few weeks ago, and visited the school I will be goin so checked with the Principal there, who in turn confirmed it.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...udy_change.htm

Is where the REAL confirmation is ...

Contrary to some peoples belief, I actually think DIMIA are happy for people to come to Oz, study, give the country shi*loads of money in fee's etc, apply for PR, GET IT!, and in turn fill a place in the job market that it is obviously soooo short of!

Onwards and up I say! ...
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004

Came to Oz on a student visa, obtained a Cert III qualification, applied for PR, and both have it now!

Under old rules now changed, most likely.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Under old rules now changed, most likely.
Hi Jeremy, what rule are you referring to?
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:23 am
JAJ
Retired

Hi Jeremy, what rule are you referring to?
It used to be 1 year study then they increased it to 2. Pass mark used to be 110, now 120. And the 900 hour rule has just been introduced by TRA, following the introduction of trade tests in 2003.

The 'golden age' of the study to PR route was 2001-02. It's long gone. Anyone going to study a trade course in Australia now will most likely be coming home in 2 years time.

Jeremy
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Anyone going to study a trade course in Australia now will most likely be coming home in 2 years time.

Jeremy

Jeremy you really are hilarious!

I can't work out why you are SOOO anti 'study to PR' or maybe study Cert III to PR. Either way,

1) I don't see what is wrong with it. As I say you come and give Oz loads of cash, study and qualify there, and in turn go on to fill a space in the workplace. It's NOT getting in by 'dodgy' means, 100% above board, and most people doing it cos they have no other way!

2) Do you have stat's for how many people come to Oz with this in mind, yet fail?? I'd love to see them ???

Like I say, I've met and spoke to 2 people who did this. Another who WAS worried about the 900 hour rule in July this year, but because their course is exempt from the requirement, they WILL get their PR! ....... Like it or not!
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

Jeremy you really are hilarious!

I can't work out why you are SOOO anti 'study to PR' or maybe study Cert III to PR. Either way,

1) I don't see what is wrong with it. As I say you come and give Oz loads of cash, study and qualify there, and in turn go on to fill a space in the workplace. It's NOT getting in by 'dodgy' means, 100% above board, and most people doing it cos they have no other way!

2) Do you have stat's for how many people come to Oz with this in mind, yet fail?? I'd love to see them ???

Like I say, I've met and spoke to 2 people who did this. Another who WAS worried about the 900 hour rule in July this year, but because their course is exempt from the requirement, they WILL get their PR! ....... Like it or not!

DIMIA don't publish any stats on this. All I can say is that virtually any agent in Australia who deals with students can tell you plenty of sad stories.

We've obviously got a fundamental difference of opinion here and I'm not going to argue on it any further - you seem determined to be the 'guinea pig' for the new rules - we'll all be interested to know how you get on 2 years down the line. If it doesn't work, you'll have no-one to blame but yourself.

For anyone else, it's a big risk

Jeremy
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
DIMIA don't publish any stats on this. All I can say is that virtually any agent in Australia who deals with students can tell you plenty of sad stories.

We've obviously got a fundamental difference of opinion here and I'm not going to argue on it any further - you seem determined to be the 'guinea pig' for the new rules - we'll all be interested to know how you get on 2 years down the line. If it doesn't work, you'll have no-one to blame but yourself.

For anyone else, it's a big risk

Jeremy
I don't for a second doubt there are MANY horror stories out there of peole that have failed because DIMIA or someone altered criteria just before they apply, this IS after all the gamble you take, and it is after all that, a gamble! Hey, I could very well be on here in 2 years time telling everyone who posts 'student queries' on here not to bother! but at the same time I could be saying 'it worked!' ..... NO ONE knows for sure!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why doesn't he study in the UK and apply to migrate once he's qualified?
In your original reply.

In my instance, to study here will take I dunno, 2 years. Then if a trade TRA will want 6/7 years experience. I'll be knocking on the door of 45 then, and will have lost 9 years maybe in Oz.

Originally Posted by JAJ
He probably won't be able to get residence at the end.
I don't think this is correct advice, 'probably' is a big word, ask Carlsberg! ....lol. I think as a mod you should give facts, and by all means warn of the gamble / risk, and giving your opinion is fine, but you make it sound like there is a 5% chance ...

Hmmmm ...

I'm not saying there's a 99% chance of success, wouldn't like to put a figure on it really, but ok, lets agree to disagree on this one.

I've only replied to the OP because you have made it sound like there is no chance of success and will return. This ISN'T the case!

Have a good day / night Jeremy ...
Old Aug 21st 2005, 2:18 am
Account Closed

and sorry, one last point.

Changes with DIMIA or TRA etc can go either way!

DIMIA will now accept 16 months study over the current 2 yrs, this will benefit the student, and I'm under the impression 'spouse skills' is about to change !?!?

It's currently 5 points, which is as good as no good to most, unless you need those 5, but which way is that going, down or up??

Will they drop it to 2 points ...

If it goes up to 10, then that benefits at least me! ...
Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey you,
welcome back to the UK,
I spoke to Lisa and she says you are going over.
good for you
drop us a line petal
love lace x
Old Aug 21st 2005, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Jim,
they are always moving the bloody goal posts. We have an advert on TV here telling all of us to apply to Australia. They want you! Come an apply everyone. You do and you get knocked back for the most stupid of things.
I have to say with all respect Jeremy you do seem to be the DOOM master.
I also know the same people as Jim2004 and they have done this with out a hitch. Yeah, you speand a lot of cash but nothing is certain in this life. Nothing!
So take the chance when it arises.
It is ok to advise but this is in your words:- This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction

So give people a life line and let them try if rhey fail then Oh well, if you don't try in life you may as well be dead.
there is no mallace in this reply
good luck to everyone who tries.

Hugs Lace x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.