British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Student Visa Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/student-visa-question-641667/)

lee28 Nov 22nd 2009 12:33 pm

Student Visa Question

Hi, I have a question.

I started at TAFE studying landscape gardener on student visa was there for 6 months, I did not complete this course.

I have since swapped to a new course at silver trowel (plasterer) which started straight after TAFE and am wanting to know does this meet the 2 year requirement for study being at both colleges. Want to know if the college can sign me off early and I can apply for state sponsorship. If I am deemed competent by the college and they give me my cert III. Or do I have to do 2 years at one course.

I will have to apply for a new student visa in january as that is when my current one runs out, but course runs until august. Do I have to go through medicals and all that again?.

Hope that makes sense, cheers, lee.

pumpkin blossom Nov 22nd 2009 1:36 pm

Re: Student Visa Question

We had an immigration lady come and talk to us and i asked her the same type of question and she said no. I did point out that you would pass tra with that, and you would have studied for 2 years, so why not, but she said it all had to be one course. Of course, they often don't seem to know what they are talking about there......

canadiangal75 Nov 22nd 2009 8:10 pm

it's my understanding that it can be more than one course (qualification) but has to be in the same field of study. So landscaping and drywall work don't complement each other. It's more like you can do a cert 3 and then top up with a diploma if you like, just advanced studies but in the same field.

lee28 Nov 23rd 2009 10:11 am

could an agent confirm this? if they count all the study time, i can be finished in march.

Also if I cant and it needs to be the same course for 2 years whats the earliest i can finish, does it have to be right to the end of the course or can they sign me off a month or so earlier.

:)

lisa-smith Nov 23rd 2009 12:01 pm

I also had a similar talk at my uni to one of the previous posts and agree that it needs to be study in one field. The reason being that if you were qualified in one of those fields before entering Australia you would need a minimum number of years experience - as you are studying a field that qualifies you for a job on the SOL list they waiver that need to have experience. And as I understand it, it needs to be a minimum of 2 years full time.

If however you can get somebody to sponsor you it may be a different story.