British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Student visa to PR - need some advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/student-visa-pr-need-some-advice-646980/)

guyguy2003 Jan 2nd 2010 3:07 am

Student visa to PR - need some advice

Hi Everyone!

I hope perhaps one of the pros here or someone who has been thru this could help:
My sister is currently doing a Master degree in Business (HR and Marketing) after doing a first degree in HR and psychology abroad. The degree is only 1.5 years long, its possible to extend it to 2 years (advanced) but its very expensive. What we would like to do is apply for a PR as an onshore student sponsored (I am an australian citizen and she lives with me atm).
We are a bit confused about two things :rolleyes::
1. Is it possible to continue studying in a TAFE course, or another uni, for a short course (6 months), just to satisfy the '2 years as a student' rule?
2. Will she be able to then be considered an 'HR officer' for assesment purposes or do you think there is a better occupation she could be assessed as, taking into accout her study field? :o

I really appriciate your help! This forum really helped me when I was applying to come here, its great to have it. :)

Cheers
Guy

George Lombard Jan 2nd 2010 3:29 am

Re: Student visa to PR - need some advice

Originally Posted by guyguy2003 (Post 8212081)
Hi Everyone!

I hope perhaps one of the pros here or someone who has been thru this could help:
My sister is currently doing a Master degree in Business (HR and Marketing) after doing a first degree in HR and psychology abroad. The degree is only 1.5 years long, its possible to extend it to 2 years (advanced) but its very expensive. What we would like to do is apply for a PR as an onshore student sponsored (I am an australian citizen and she lives with me atm).
We are a bit confused about two things :rolleyes::
1. Is it possible to continue studying in a TAFE course, or another uni, for a short course (6 months), just to satisfy the '2 years as a student' rule?
2. Will she be able to then be considered an 'HR officer' for assesment purposes or do you think there is a better occupation she could be assessed as, taking into accout her study field? :o

I really appriciate your help! This forum really helped me when I was applying to come here, its great to have it. :)

Cheers
Guy

Hi Guy,

Onshore graduate requirement of two years study is pretty much mandatory except for people who might have met the qualification and work experience requirements prior to arrival. In your case it seems most likely she needs to choose a further course which is "closely related" to the current Masters, and at least at Diploma level, and in view of the changes yesterday to the Vetassess process, my guess is that you should seek professional advice.

Cheers,

George Lombard

guyguy2003 Jan 2nd 2010 7:57 am

Hi George!

Can you please explain this new Job Ready requirements? I was under the impression that students don't need job experience to be assessed for a PR? I mean even ACS (which is the agency I have used) demands 4 years of experience but not for onshore students.
Also, you didn't mention which occupation she can apply under.
We are going to get professional help on this matter, but I hope you guys will be able to shed some light on those subjects as well.

Cheers
Guy

George Lombard Jan 2nd 2010 8:17 am

Hi Guy,

No idea which occupation she's going to use, that's why she needs professional help. Work experience not now avoidable for most onshore Vetassess applicants.

Job ready requirements only apply to trade applicants, some of the details are on the TRA website now but most of the practical information will start to flow from Monday when they're back at work. This only affects trades applicants.

Cheers,

George Lombard

guyguy2003 Jan 2nd 2010 8:19 am

Will it affect HR related occupations? that's the main concern. That's what we are going to go for probably - her friends who studied the same course are applying for that occupation (after getting advice).

JAJ Jan 2nd 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by guyguy2003 (Post 8212367)
Will it affect HR related occupations? that's the main concern. That's what we are going to go for probably - her friends who studied the same course are applying for that occupation (after getting advice).

If this is so important, you should be paying for professional assistance.

guyguy2003 Jan 2nd 2010 4:39 pm

And we already said we will seek it - however, with respect, this forum is for the exchange of knowledge (as far as I know), and this is what I seek. I actually -corrected- my immigration agent when I was applying for my 136 visa on something important (a community langauge which actually was vital for me getting the visa, and she didn't know it was added to the list) thanks for help from forums like this, and I assume this forum has some people that has been or are going thru this path and can help.

Dorothy Jan 2nd 2010 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by guyguy2003 (Post 8213053)
And we already said we will seek it - however, with respect, this forum is for the exchange of knowledge (as far as I know), and this is what I seek. I actually -corrected- my immigration agent when I was applying for my 136 visa on something important (a community langauge which actually was vital for me getting the visa, and she didn't know it was added to the list) thanks for help from forums like this, and I assume this forum has some people that has been or are going thru this path and can help.

What you are asking for is specific advice, which is not going to be found on a free online forum. Two very experienced agents have told you that you will need professional advice, so I would think that you need professional advice.

And if you need to correct your agent, it's possible that you need to look for another agent - one who is up to date on the changes occurring at DIAC.

pumpkin blossom Jan 2nd 2010 11:05 pm

As someone who has been told incorrect advice by agents, and seen EVERY SINGLE PERSON on her course being told by their agents (and in one case immigration as well!) that they could get the graduate visa to THEN get the 900 hours of work experiance when the graduate visa came in (yes, redundent now, but you get my point), I am VERY glad to have forums like this, and to ask questions and risk not getting an answer, if it means I might get pointed in the right direction.

I will NEVER trust an agent fully, even if they give me correct info I am likely to try to back that up for myself. I can't afford not to after seeing so many people being told wrong info, in one case at least, totally destroying their chances of being able to stay here!.

tomar Jan 2nd 2010 11:38 pm

I have to agree with PB above.
As the recipient of totally wrong advice 2 years ago, from a supposedly very experienced agent for student visas, who obviously knew less than us, and even though in full possession of the facts, nearly cost my family member the chance to stay in Australia. Knowledge gained from forums like this is invaluable. If more than one agent gives of their knowledge, and is in agreement, then there is a chance that you might get your application right. Would never again take one agents word for anything, will always get at least three agents advice.

mango4 Jan 3rd 2010 12:26 am

Hi there

I totally agree!

I was given incorrect advice from an agent where I had paid the fees in advance and their incompetence was the difference between me qualifying for a PR visa straight away and having to go the student route! Aarrghhh.... i did get all my fees back though but I can't begin to tell you the extra expense we have had going the student route...and i'm still no nearer a permanent visa. I still curse the internet immigration company based in London that i used...I wish I had discovered this forum at that time as i truly believe I would not have been so naive and trusted the agents every word.

I also found out about the student changes in sept 07 on here, and the credit exemption rule that gave me time to rearrange my study.

Good luck with it all x