Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Student Visa - only way of getting back????

Wikiposts

Student Visa - only way of getting back????

Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

helenandnick is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Student Visa - only way of getting back????

It is looking more likely that the only way me and my boyfriend to get back to Aus is for me to apply for a student visa.

Has anybody done this?? In researching this visa I found out that if I went to college I could only work 20 hours a week, but also my boyfriend would only be allowed to work that too - is that right? It also implies that it would be alot easier if we were married......!!!

We are desperate to get back and will try anything we can to do so. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

freshwater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Visa - only way of getting back????

Hi Helenandnick

I would love to know the answer to this one as well!!! My boyfriend is currently studing over here but we might look into him transfering over there.

Hope you get some answers soon!!!

Originally Posted by helenandnick
It is looking more likely that the only way me and my boyfriend to get back to Aus is for me to apply for a student visa.

Has anybody done this?? In researching this visa I found out that if I went to college I could only work 20 hours a week, but also my boyfriend would only be allowed to work that too - is that right? It also implies that it would be alot easier if we were married......!!!

We are desperate to get back and will try anything we can to do so. Any help anyone can give would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:03 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Student Visa - only way of getting back????

Thanks
I'm still waiting for my student visa!! Expecting it anyday...hopefully.!!!..hubby was cat B on medical!! *fingers crossed* The whole process has only taken 8 weeks and I'm a bag of nerves!!! Could never wait 12 months plus for a visa, like some here.!!!....I'd be on the prozac after 3 months!!!

Yes, it's right that you can only work 20 hours a week and so can my hubby once my course starts. You have to pay your Uni fees and any school fees for any kids you have.

It says on the immigration webside that you can bring a family members with you, and he would be classed as your spouse providing you have been in a relationship for over 12 months - check out the website. Its quite straightforward, but there is so much to trawl through.
http://www.immi.gov.au/study/family/policy.htm

You have to have an offer of a place at Uni/College first and pay the first six months fees up front...(some Uni's differ and ask for a year up front). YOu can apply for the visa five months before your course starts, but cannot enter Australia until three months before your course starts.

Are you going to do a degree course?? Where are you planning to settle?

Get your applications to the Uni's in now...their intakes start in February and most have intakes in June too. Good luck...

PM me if you need any help.

Rachel
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Getting a student visa might well "get you back to Australia" for a short while but it doesn't mean you can stay.

Why not study to upgrade your skills at home?

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

helenandnick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help

If we were to stay here and re-train then we wouldn't have enough experience to show for. So this does seem like the only way.

My boyfriend has a job to go back to in Sydney but the company can't sponsor him so really its down to me to get us back!!
I really want to go back to college anyway so thats not a problem but the working restrictions would be!! I don't think we could live of a part time wage. Plus he wants to invest in the business so he would need to be working more than 20 hours a week.

It looks like it may be a case of back to the drawing board - ahhhhhhhh!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your help

If we were to stay here and re-train then we wouldn't have enough experience to show for. So this does seem like the only way.
It's not a 'way' at all if you find you can't stay at the end (a very common scenario - an Australian qualification in itself does *not* give you permanent residence).

And if you do have to go home, your Australian qualification may not be recognised.

Many people successfully re-train or upgrade skills in their home country and migrate afterwards. Nothing is guaranteed but it's usually a less risky option than uprooting to live in Australia as a student.

Jeremy