British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Student visa holders. . .which route did ya choose? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/student-visa-holders-route-did-ya-choose-644326/)

mandyp Dec 19th 2009 9:44 am

Re: Student visa holders. . .which route did ya choose?

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom (Post 8185293)
At the moment at least it just says they have to have been applied for, apparently they give you a reference number when you book. BUT from the 1st of Jan you have to have your TRA assessment back before applying, so it could be that the medical has to be done and dusted from then too??

We were hoping that we could have just booked the medical for a couple of months down the line, but you apparently cannot do this. One of hubbies class mates was going to do this but was told you cannot, the date for the medical has to be within a timeframe (can't now remember what this was, but it was something like within a couple of weeks). I to have concerns that by the time we have a CO, the medicals will no longer be valid and will have to be re-done.

When hubbie finished his course, we had 2 weeks to get everything done before the student visa ran out!! It's now been made even harder if you have to now wait till the TRA results are recieved as they take 1 month to come back!! Just keep an eye on-line as the results were there almost 1 week before the letter was through the post. The letter is also available on-line to print off.

Thankfully the confirmation e-mail to get onto the bridging visa came in within 24hours, got this on the day the student visa ran out. Even then, had to phone as they had sent confirmation e-mails for the kiddiewinks, but not for hubbie and I!!

Cheers
Mandy

mango4 Dec 19th 2009 8:49 pm

Hi Tomar

My medicals expired last week !! I read somewhere though that we don't have to redo them until requested. I think it was some FAQ document on the immigration website....so if that is the case why do we have to do them in the first place??!! (we may be on a Bridging visa for years) Arghhh...

Its all so frustrating..

Have a great Christmas :)
x

tomar Dec 19th 2009 9:51 pm

Hi Mango,
Do you think it's worth a tel. call to Brissy to make absolutely sure it's ok to re-do medicals when eventually asked by a co? I worry that they keep changing the rules, and though logically if everything was in place when the application was put in it should be ok.
When did logic ever come into this!!!!
I read somewhere that you can have the year's validity extended for another 3 months?
Anyway, nothing is going to happen till the new year, so,
Have a great christmas everyone (especially all on the student route).