Wikiposts

student visa - hairdressing

Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:03 am
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default student visa - hairdressing

Hi everybody!!

Is it possible to go to Australia on a student visa, do a course in hairdressing and then apply for PR?
If it is and the person then takes the 20 p/w work thingy, would the person involved have to pay schooling for a 5 yr old?
My mates predicament is that she has someone in Brisbane willing to lend /sponsor her for the student visa but she's more than concerned about her son who is of school age. Is he entitled to "free" schooling under a student visa parent?

Thanks peeps!!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:13 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: student visa - hairdressing

Originally posted by brisbec
Hi everybody!!

Is it possible to go to Australia on a student visa, do a course in hairdressing and then apply for PR?
If it is and the person then takes the 20 p/w work thingy, would the person involved have to pay schooling for a 5 yr old?
My mates predicament is that she has someone in Brisbane willing to lend /sponsor her for the student visa but she's more than concerned about her son who is of school age. Is he entitled to "free" schooling under a student visa parent?

Thanks peeps!!

From this I would say he would HAVE to be enrolled at school but need to pay school fees where required.

http://www.immi.gov.au/study/family/...#student_visas

"School attendance for school-age family members
Members of your family who are aged between 5 and 18 years of age, and who will be living in Australia for more than 3 months, will not be granted a visa unless you can provide evidence that:

they are enrolled in an Australian school, and
any school fees payable have been paid. "
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:16 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

My mates predicament is that she has someone in Brisbane willing to lend /sponsor her for the student visa Thanks peeps!!

this also AoS have changed/changing recently too, don't know if that would affect this though.

"There is no formal process under Australia's Student visa program for a person to sponsor an overseas student to come to Australia to study.

In some cases it is possible to provide direct financial support to an overseas student. The ability to provide financial support to a student and the form in which that support may be provided depend on the citizenship of the student and their proposed course of study."

Looks like there is quite a lot of info on the website http://www.immi.gov.au/study/index.htm

Not sure if hairdressing is on the list either http://cricos.detya.gov.au/

One of the wiser people maybe around to help you later!

Last edited by mlbonner; Jul 1st 2004 at 8:18 am.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:17 am
Chillin out in WA

so that seems to imply that if you (student) has an enrollment place - then your child needs a certified enrollment place as well BEFORE the visa is issued.

Am i right......or just a little bit drunk!!!????ha ha
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:19 am
Chillin out in WA

Michelle

You are not a visa angel

YOU ARE AN ANGEL - end of story

What will we do when you are gone?????
I've been through that bloody site with a fine toothed wotsit and couldn't find the piggin' answers but whoopee there they are!!!!!!

Bec
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:20 am
part-time Visa Angel!

so that seems to imply that if you (student) has an enrollment place - then your child needs a certified enrollment place as well BEFORE the visa is issued.

Am i right......or just a little bit drunk!!!????ha ha

It does imply that, but I can't see how it can be that literally either!!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

Michelle

You are not a visa angel

YOU ARE AN ANGEL - end of story

What will we do when you are gone?????
I've been through that bloody site with a fine toothed wotsit and couldn't find the piggin' answers but whoopee there they are!!!!!!

Bec

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwh - good thing about the internet though, tis everywhere.... you wont get rid of me that easily

They might not be 'the answers', was just what I found... something to start with anyway hey.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:30 am
Chillin out in WA

"My mates predicament is that she has someone in Brisbane willing to lend /sponsor her for the student visa "

I say this because the friend is willing to lend her the money to pay for the course upfront and he his apparently also willing to lend her money should she need it.

He's not "after" her in anyway. He was a friend of her grandfathers(£10 pom) and - so she says - owes her grandfather one!!!! whatever that maybe.

So she's considering it but obviously looking into every avenue she can - and using my internet at the same time - oh well!!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:32 am
part-time Visa Angel!

"My mates predicament is that she has someone in Brisbane willing to lend /sponsor her for the student visa "

I say this because the friend is willing to lend her the money to pay for the course upfront and he his apparently also willing to lend her money should she need it.

He's not "after" her in anyway. He was a friend of her grandfathers(£10 pom) and - so she says - owes her grandfather one!!!! whatever that maybe.

So she's considering it but obviously looking into every avenue she can - and using my internet at the same time - oh well!!

Always useful to have a friend like that
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 6:30 am
Chillin out in WA

So, she's found a course in Brisbane for 2 years - it's a bit pricey - $12,000 - but we're both a bit stumped about schooling fees for her 5 yr old.
Would anyone have any idea where to look - the school she would send him to hasn't got a web site!!!
Also, would she stand a good chance of getting PR after graduation? She is 35.

Thanks

Bec
doing this for Karen looking over my shoulder coz she's a internet phobe!!!!!
Old Jul 3rd 2004, 12:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

School fees for children (without PR) are a state policy - you need to visit the education department of the Queensland government. Policy does vary from state to state, and if it's not very clear in the website you should get advice in writing.

Good chance of PR on graduation?
There are a number of factors to consider, including:

- TRA may impose a trade test for a skill assessment as well as the regular certificate exams
- no guarantee hairdressers will still be on MODL
- could she reach the pass mark?
- if she could't get to the pass mark then she would have to look at other visa options (457 visa, ENS, RSMS or SIR)
- health issues can always pose a risk

There may be more rule changes between now and then.

Student visas normally need to be applied for offshore.

Jeremy

So, she's found a course in Brisbane for 2 years - it's a bit pricey - $12,000 - but we're both a bit stumped about schooling fees for her 5 yr old.
Would anyone have any idea where to look - the school she would send him to hasn't got a web site!!!
Also, would she stand a good chance of getting PR after graduation? She is 35.

Thanks

Bec
doing this for Karen looking over my shoulder coz she's a internet phobe!!!!!