student visa with an autistic dependent?

Old Jun 9th 2013, 11:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visa with an autistic dependent?

Originally Posted by Claire333
don't worry it's just one thing I'm considering. If I did do it I would either do it with little risk or be prepared to leave at the end of my study. If I were studying at Masters or above though (which would be the case as I already have an MA) then my husband would be allowed to work full time and as his profession is in demand at the moment the years of employment he would accrue (together with my study) would probably boost our chances somewhat.
You keep posting that your husband's profession is "in demand". That means very little here in Australia, I'm afraid. Take a look in the main Australia forum and/or the Barbie section on here for stories of those of us "in demand" who were unable to find work for many months after arriving. Some of us with PR visas and even citizenship. It is certainly not going to be easier for someone as a dependant on a student visa to find work.

I don't know what your husband's occupation is, but why are you not looking at applying for a skilled visa with him as the main applicant if his profession is so in demand?
Old Jun 10th 2013, 7:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You keep posting that your husband's profession is "in demand". That means very little here in Australia, I'm afraid. Take a look in the main Australia forum and/or the Barbie section on here for stories of those of us "in demand" who were unable to find work for many months after arriving. Some of us with PR visas and even citizenship. It is certainly not going to be easier for someone as a dependant on a student visa to find work.

I don't know what your husband's occupation is, but why are you not looking at applying for a skilled visa with him as the main applicant if his profession is so in demand?
From previous posts it seems he is some kind of warehouse/distribution manager. One of those things on the skills lists that may not be that easy to get work in due to there actually being a large number of Aussies that can do the job.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 9:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
From previous posts it seems he is some kind of warehouse/distribution manager. One of those things on the skills lists that may not be that easy to get work in due to there actually being a large number of Aussies that can do the job.
Then I'm stumped as to what she means by his profession being in demand.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 10:16 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Then I'm stumped as to what she means by his profession being in demand.
I think because it's on the CSOL, although schedule 2 so needs sponsorship
Old Jun 14th 2013, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

My hopes have been based on these things:

'the children of international PhD students are treated as domestic students in our education system. This means they pay no international fees and have access to learning support. Partners of PhD students also have work rights.' (government website)

If you follow this link (the Northern Territory's State Migration Plan) and click on 'Priority Occupations' you'll see his profession 'Production Manager (manufacturing)' third down on the list.
http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/visa/sol.html

Where as if you go to this link (the State Nominated Occupation List for South Australia)
https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/snol_data
you'll see that 'Production Manager (manufacturing)' is in most demand with 'High Availability' ('high occupational places left).

There was also another state though I can't remember it at the moment.

I've had two boosts recently - one from a University interested in my PhD Proposal and another from a company who emailed my husband asking if he would be interested in a job coming up. They had held his CV on file from earlier in the year (I'm assuming because I have no memory of us approaching them) and they know our situation.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Rather confusing as the son seems to be at school in Cyprus.

I would love to stay in Northern Cyprus but teenager and hubby want to leave. So I'm about to throw in the towel (though I try and convince them to love it everyday). It doesn't help that school fees for teenager will be £7000 here and I don't really like the prospect of enrolling him when he wants to leave. Once he starts his A-Levels it would be very disruptive to move him, so if we leave it needs to be soon.
Now, if you'll all stop making assumptions and judging me I'll go to bed. I'm sick of having to defend myself. I've spent months ignoring nasty comments on this website and I should have just carried on ignoring them.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

My hopes have been based on these things:

'the children of international PhD students are treated as domestic students in our education system. This means they pay no international fees and have access to learning support. Partners of PhD students also have work rights.' (government website)

Are you sure you didn't read this on the New Zealand website?

I must say your approach is baffling, you are all over the place and your stories are not consistent.

In this one post you are commenting on being a student and in the next sentence you are explaining how you are eligible for skilled migration.

Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point

it's very simple really:

We have been living in Northern Cyprus for three months. Teenager is not in school here but we have been looking at schools.

We are interested in relocating to Australia for me to do a PhD and husband to work as a skilled migrant.

How can that be confusing?

If it's so difficult to get your head round perhaps just apply yourself to the question I posted instead of delving around in my posting history. I'd love to receive any replies or hear of any experiences that actually pertain to posted question.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

it's very simple really:

We have been living in Northern Cyprus for three months. Teenager is not in school here but we have been looking at schools.

We are interested in relocating to Australia for me to do a PhD and husband to work as a skilled migrant.

If it's so difficult to get your head round perhaps just apply yourself to the question I posted instead of delving around in my posting history. I'd love to receive any replies or hear of any experiences that actually pertain to posted question.
Hi Claire,

I think you need to decide on which approach suits you and your family the best. Skilled migration is preferable to most as it is permanent but you do need to get skills assessed which takes time and money. An employer may be interested in employing your husband, but on what basis. 457 visas are temporary, and would lead to additional costs with schooling in some states. Also, a student visa would be temporary.

Which ever visa you want, partners and dependants can be included in the application - so you only need one or the other, not both which I think you already know. I understand that you are trying to research all angles, but combining them in the same thread can be confusing.

OS
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:19 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

it's very simple really:

The reason that people look at your posting history Cl;aire is because we are trying to help. Sometimes there are things in a poster's history which can actually help us to guide you to a visa that might work well for your family situation. Some people don't mention things because they don't think they are relevant but those of us who are more familiar with visa requirements for the country you are looking at might spot something that could make it easier for you to find the "perfect" visa.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you sure you didn't read this on the New Zealand website?

I must say your approach is baffling, you are all over the place and your stories are not consistent.

In this one post you are commenting on being a student and in the next sentence you are explaining how you are eligible for skilled migration.

I can only find this on NZ websites. I can't find anything on the DIAC site that says children will only pay domestic fee, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Claire, can you post the link to the info - it could be useful to others looking at moving to Aus?

You should also be aware, if you aren't already, that the fee structure for visas is changing on July 1st and prices will rise steeply for families applying. Check out the sticky thread in this forum for details.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I can only find this on NZ websites. I can't find anything on the DIAC site that says children will only pay domestic fee, but I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Claire, can you post the link to the info - it could be useful to others looking at moving to Aus?

You should also be aware, if you aren't already, that the fee structure for visas is changing on July 1st and prices will rise steeply for families applying. Check out the sticky thread in this forum for details.
I can find a link for NSW - fees waived there (http://www.uow.edu.au/research/rsc/p...UOW145861.html) but the original quote does seem to be NZ
Old Jun 15th 2013, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that fees may be waived if the PhD student is on a Commonwealth scholarship but I can't remember where I got that from otherwise student dependants pay international fees