student visa with an autistic dependent?

Old Jun 6th 2013, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Claire333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default student visa with an autistic dependent?

I am thinking of applying for a student visa to study for a PhD. However I have a 16 year old son who has a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. Is this likely to cause a problem with me gaining a student visa?

Thanks Xx
Old Jun 6th 2013, 12:08 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: student visa with an autistic dependent?

Originally Posted by Claire333
I am thinking of applying for a student visa to study for a PhD. However I have a 16 year old son who has a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. Is this likely to cause a problem with me gaining a student visa?

Thanks Xx
Hi Claire,

I don't know about student visas, but my son is 17 with Asperger's. His medicals were referred, and we had to get a report from a psychologist but we got our permanent visas last year. As student visas are temporary it wont be the same, and hopefully someone else will be able to help more.

Good luck
Old Jun 6th 2013, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Xx
As it is a student visa and you will be required to fund all education and maintain medical insurance then it might not be an issue. It could get very expensive however.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

I do have some savings, and I was hoping to apply for a scholarship and a bursary, but obviously they aren't a sure thing.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 3:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Xx
Welcome to the Aus forum Claire, I've seen some of your other posts so picked up a bit of your story. I gather that your son is looking to study for A levels,, so you should be aware that the schooling system here is very different - lots of threads in the main Aussie forum about that - and also on a student visa you will need to pay for his schooling, which will be VERY expensive.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

well he's been attending a £26,000 per year school in the UK so hopefully it will be less expensive than that. However, if there are other teenagers and youth activities about (which there's a dire shortage of where we are now) then he will probably homestudy (home schooling for mature teenagers) as he's done really well homeschooling before. Can I ask - in the UK he LOVED air cadets. Are there any air cadets in Australia?
Old Jun 7th 2013, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

well he's been attending a £26,000 per year school in the UK so hopefully it will be less expensive than that. However, if there are other teenagers and youth activities about (which there's a dire shortage of where we are now) then he will probably homestudy (home schooling for mature teenagers) as he's done really well homeschooling before. Can I ask - in the UK he LOVED air cadets. Are there any air cadets in Australia?
http://www.aafc.org.au/how-to-join/cadets

Remember though if you are on a student visa you are all only temporary residents and may well have to leave at the end of that course.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

I know this. I was planning on doing either a MA in a skill on the SOL or a PhD. If I do either of these my husband could work full time. Then hopefully a few years in a job will help us to gain PR (our son would be 18 by then so he would not be taken into account).
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:04 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I know this. I was planning on doing either a MA in a skill on the SOL or a PhD. If I do either of these my husband could work full time. Then hopefully a few years in a job will help us to gain PR (our son would be 18 by then so he would not be taken into account).
He would also have to leave the country if you did not include him as a dependant??????
Old Jun 7th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

98% chance he would be going to university in the UK (or if he prefers not to go to Uni he would have got himself qualified in a basic useful skill). As an adult he can choose what to do with his own life and if he wants to remain in the country they would take into account his Australian schooling and family and I doubt they would make it ridiculously difficult for him to do further study or make a useful, employed life. He's a savant and his £26,000 mainstream school in the UK was paid for entirely by the local authority because his intelligence is so high its considered a special need. He's never received less than an A* in an exam and they fast tracked him to A-Levels, by-passing GCSE's. I doubt he would not want to go to University in the UK or become a professional. Currently he wants to be a geneticist and I don't think he'll rely on an Australian Visa to pursue his dream.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:02 pm
Home and Happy

98% chance he would be going to university in the UK (or if he prefers not to go to Uni he would have got himself qualified in a basic useful skill). As an adult he can choose what to do with his own life and if he wants to remain in the country they would take into account his Australian schooling and family
No, they won't.

and I doubt they would make it ridiculously difficult for him to do further study or make a useful, employed life.
He would have to qualify for a visa like everyone else.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

well I don't have all the answers. If I did I wouldn't be here. I'm just feeling around the topic and looking at many different options. I haven't decided I definitely want to take my family to Australia yet - which is why I haven't gone into depth on it yet. I'm looking at several countries and trying to decide which would best.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 6:26 pm
Home and Happy

well I don't have all the answers. If I did I wouldn't be here. I'm just feeling around the topic and looking at many different options. I haven't decided I definitely want to take my family to Australia yet - which is why I haven't gone into depth on it yet. I'm looking at several countries and trying to decide which would best.
And we're just trying to help you out, especially by making sure you are aware of pitfalls that could await you - like you and your husband being granted PR but your son not being able to join you.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I came on a student visa. The rules change quite dramatically at times. Especially if elections are in the cards.
It took me three years from the end of my course to get pr. Many people in your situation end up with the dilemma of their children having no choice but to leave when they apply for pr, as they are no longer counted as dependent.

Also, my job was on the skills list when I was studying..... Then it got taken off. Not fun. You have to be prepared for maybe having to leave at the end of the course. Many people have had to who never thought they would have to.

Personally, I wouldn't do it if I were you.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

don't worry it's just one thing I'm considering. If I did do it I would either do it with little risk or be prepared to leave at the end of my study. If I were studying at Masters or above though (which would be the case as I already have an MA) then my husband would be allowed to work full time and as his profession is in demand at the moment the years of employment he would accrue (together with my study) would probably boost our chances somewhat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.