Wikiposts

Student Visa/Apprenticeship?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Student Visa/Apprenticeship?

Originally Posted by mandyp
Hi, The thing bout getting an agent, you are the one who does all the legwork n form filling they're only really there to double check your form n forward it on, 900gbp is a lota dosh to give someone for that!! You can do it all online its a piece of p***!!

We had a holiday rental for 2 weeks on arriving n got a long term rental when here without any problem. we live in a complex which I would highly recomend, they are pretty cheap n you get use of a pool, and BBQ facilities n other extras like tennis courts and gyms. They're like a wee community n you get to speak to loads a people n the kiddiewinks get a chance to meet up with other kids too. Excellent for at least your first rental as it can be a bit of a rush trying to get something!!

I'm thinking at giving this one a wee visit soon, looks fab!!

www.seqrents.com.au/chamonix/index.htm

We bought beds, side tables, sofas, n dining table brand new from Super amart, ranges there start well cheap. Other than things like bedding, kitchen stuff (pots n pans, cutlery etc) we bought everything second hand. Trading post, n e-bay great for this and garage sales are v popular. Thw stuff we bought new was just cause we didn't have much time between moving out n in and it was the week before Christmas so just too much to organise, I would have happily bout more stuff second hand. We got an well old retro mitsubishi jeep for $4500, second hand cars are not cheap, but you can still by cheap if you go older!!

All in all it was probably around $12k set up costs. In regards to sending over boxes of stuff, 9oogbp converts to round bout $1800 so I suppose it's just whatever you think. We didn't have a great deal ofsentimental stuff. A lot of things like that we gave away as loeaving gifts n managed to bring a lot over with us. There are still a few bits to come over, but to be honest, apart from our wedding album, hubbies kilt outfit, n my wedding dress, I can't even remember what else there is!! My mum's coming over in June so I'll just get her to bring stuff. N my MIL is over in October, other people are over in between times so I'm sure they'll all be able to bring whatever else there is.

Big tips before you leave, pack up 'goodie' bags for friends n family (we put in pictures, personal stuff, we had every copy of Australia n New Zealand we wrote a wee goodbye message on n gave them away) it's a great way to get rid of stuff and a great comfort to people you're leaving behind!! Don't have anyone waving you off at the airport, we took close family out for a meal night before we left and said our goodbyes then. Start living on a budget now, and be prepared to live on a student budget regardless of how much money you bring over with you, it'd be best to keep as much as you can for a deposit if and when you decide to buy.

Cheers
Mandy

Thanks Mandy, Keep those tips coming!

Regards Gilly
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Debzs is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Student Visa/Apprenticeship?

Originally Posted by mandyp
The student route was a last resort for us too. N yeah, we had too sell up to come over, arrived just the four of us with 4 large holdalls!! Had never been to Australia and knew no-one here!!

Hubbie had his own business but haddn't been doing it long enough to go through tra and it wasn't turning over enough yet to go business visa. (He did home renovations/general improvements). He is studying cabinet making and says the course is a doddle!!

Your plans are quite far in advance mummyroy, we only decided to 'go fo it' in June/July last year and came ove end of November. We find living costs really cheap here, though many say it is very expensive in comparison. We're managing on a really cheap budget, and living as STUDENTS, so no luxuries as such. Having said that, we are the happiest we have ever been, and somehow feel that our lives have just begun?!!

We both found work very easily too which has helped, so we shouldn't have to dip into the 'pot' anymore which would be fab!! On the student visa you can enter into the country 3 months before the course starts but this all obviously depends on how quickly it is processed. A student visa should only take 5-10 days, as it is done at the high commission in London, maybe a wee tad longer if they are busy. It is only really delayed for a lenghth of time if for any reason it had to be referred to Australia. Just bear in mind that you cannont work though till the course starts so great if you have the budget to allow for this as the first month or 2 would be your most expesive!! We didn't go 'mental' when we came over, stayed away from the touristy things n proper budget came into force after Christmas, but we still spent more than I would have liked us too!!

Advice for you guys just now would be, don't go through an agent, student visa really easy to do, start trying to live on a budget now stop spending money on anything, and seriously consider not shipping stuff over, you can set up well cheap over here if you want too!!

Cheers
Mandy
Hi Mandy

Just read your thread its fab....

We just had a free assessment back from agents suggesting the student route as OH wants to training as a bricky and has started proceedings over here but reading about student visa may as well do it over in Oz

Quick qqs if you don't mind

Did you sell your house first then apply for your visa, I'm a bit worried to see the quick time these visas are in place so you really have to be ready..

I was thinking of renting our house here just in case we dont get PR and have to come back but leaves us with little money to go over with

You just saved me 145 pounds as I was going to pay the agent

How much did it cost you to but your kids into state school.

Did you secure a rental property before you went

Sorry for all the qqs but we were only told today of this option and the joy has kicked in but also havent a clue where to go from here..

I cant wait to get over there but as we are taking 2 kids I am scared we will not get PR and will have to come back

Just so excited that it may be possible for us to go I have emailed a college in Melbourne today to ask for fees etc and you have to pay your medical fees upfront..

Did you have trouble with telling family I only have my mum and dad here and am scared I will ruin them by us all going and leaving them behind.

Thank for your time

Debsx
Old Mar 21st 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Debs,

Good for you not giving up the dream, there's always a way!!

I think it is all v risky going the student route for PR, but I really do think that its a definate 'goer'.

We had the house all ready to go on the market as soon as the visa came through, but our visa took 8 weeks!! We waited as long as we could n then just put it on the market anyway. I suppose it really depends on how long you think it would take to sell. We were in a flat that was ripe for a first time buyer and knew it would sell v quickly. It sold within 10 days and they were happy to move in whenever suited us. The visa came in I think, bout a week later and we booked our flights n then agreed an entry date (entry date was the day we flew out!!).
We only told family a couple of months before we flew out, n good or bad it worked for us. Both of us have lost our dad's so we've left our mums behind and both, although v sa, have been v positive. Hardest thing was taking the grandchildren away!! Really hard taking the kids away from family and friends. Our kiddiewinks are only 3 and 18months so no school fees as yet. I think school fees are somewhere around $8000 per year per child. All states differ, but apparently in Queensland anyway, if you enrole your child in a catholic school, it is only $2000 per year and you do not have to pay any state fees, even on a student visa.

We booked a 'holiday' rental for 2 weeks to come over too and found a long term rental once over here without too much hassle and dates woked out perfectly to move from one to the other. Booked our holiday rentla through www.realestate.com.au.

If you need to know any more feel free to ask, but there are quite a few students threads on here with tons of good information.

Good luck!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough

Im sure you can go to Australia and do an apprenticeship because this visa shows it - Vocational Education and Training Sector: Temporary Visa (Subclass 572).

After reading the visa you can go to Australia to do an apprenticeship, buts its only temp residence for as long as the course lasts (thats my take on the visa but it could be wrong so any replies after would be helpfu for everyonel)
Old May 1st 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

hello i have answers i am an apprentice electrician in the uk and in my 2nd year but i got made redundant, after a lot of research i found YOU CAN GET A VISA FOR AN AUSTRALIAN APPRENTICESHIP but theres a catch you have to secure your apprenticeship before you arive quite hard but it can be done. but hey the guy who started this thread you will get a permenant visa easy if your cousins living there so do that then look for a job whilst your over there good luck
Old May 1st 2008, 10:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidb1989
hello i have answers i am an apprentice electrician in the uk and in my 2nd year but i got made redundant, after a lot of research i found YOU CAN GET A VISA FOR AN AUSTRALIAN APPRENTICESHIP but theres a catch you have to secure your apprenticeship before you arive quite hard but it can be done. but hey the guy who started this thread you will get a permenant visa easy if your cousins living there so do that then look for a job whilst your over there good luck
Even if an eligible family member can sponsor you, there is still a need to meet other requirements. Just having a cousin in Australia does not qualify you for a permanent visa.