Wikiposts

Student Visa/Apprenticeship?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:56 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Student Visa/Apprenticeship?

Just wanted to point out - don't go over three months prior to your course and expect to get working rights. When you are initially granted your visa it does not have work rights. You have to apply IN Australia to get work rights, and they won't grant it until your course has started.

Hopefully you were already aware of this.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:25 am
Just Joined

mummyroy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going three months prior to have a good look around, find somewhere to live, get settled then find a job to start in July. We've got money so I'm not fussed that we don't get workers rights as soon as we get off the plane!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mummyroy
I'm going three months prior to have a good look around, find somewhere to live, get settled then find a job to start in July. We've got money so I'm not fussed that we don't get workers rights as soon as we get off the plane!
Hi,

over here on a student visa just now. Arrived At end of Nov, hubbie strated his cours mid Jan. We absolutely love it here n have not found it a problem getting work although some people do struggle with this. Think it'll depend on what job sector your background is and to be honest, just not being shy!! Hubbie offered a free coupla shifts to prove his worth and was taken on even with the hours restrictions (cabinet making, which is what he is studying). Definately a great idea to come over for a wee bit before you get started to get settled in, as long as your budget allows!!

We went through Stefan too, he was great and there are others who provide this service too, it's free. There are too many courses around that are not CIROS approved so will not get you PR also speak to him or other education advisor before speaking to agents if your def going the student route. The student visa is very easy to do, so no need to go through an agent. The courses open to international students are limited and fill up v quickly. Expect to pay upwards of $20k for course fees.

Cheers, good luck
Mandy
Old Feb 24th 2008, 1:35 am
Just Joined

mummyroy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mandy!
Nice to speak to someone in the same boat Glad your enjoying yourselves, I can't wait now!
I'm a hairdresser by trade but have to do my courses again to gain entry as I don't have 5 years exp. It's going to cost me $30,000 for all 3 courses but the opportunities that will be open to me once I graduate will be enormous so I'm happy to pay the money.
What's it like with living expenses there? We're having to sell our house to fund this whole move, we'll have money left over but we're thinking about getting back on the property ladder and how difficult it will be for us once we're settled in.
My husband will be driving heavy goods vehicles when he comes over so I'm hoping that will our yearly salary combined we'll be alot better off.

What's the course like that your partners doing? is he enjoying it?
Stefan will be applying for my course as soon as I get my passport back, I sent off for new ones the other week and once they're back I can post him copies of my doc's plus the application. He said it should be ok as long as I apply a year in advance. The course isn't due to start till July 09 so I should be alright. We'll soon see eitherway

Any tips or advise you can offer? It's all getting very nerve wracking
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:02 am
Just Joined

witney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mummyroy
Hiya,
I'm in the process of applying for a 3 course package to start July next year. I've been in contact with a man called Stefan from a place called study options. He's dealt with everything for me including researching the courses and what I need to do to eventually apply for residency (hence why I have to complete 3 courses).
I'd email him and explain your situation and ask him if he or someone he knows could help you out.
Also, I'll be applying for a student visa over here before going! That way I'm allowed in the country up to 3 months prior to my course starting then for the 2 years whilst I study (not sure how long you have in the country after you finish the course). You can also work a maximum of 20 hours whilst you have this visa. Not much but it should cover your living expenses.

Hope this helps.
Hi
I'm new to this website but joined for all the great info around. I am also going for the study visa and used Stefan who is great! i was surprised to see that you put that you were allowed in the country upto 3 months before your course starts because i have been told that we can not apply until 4 months before the actual course start date. Mine is the 9th July and have not started the application yet, could anyone confirm if this is true? i have also heard that they are running 8 weeks behind on the medical reports. I had friends go at the beginning of Feb but only were approved two weeks prior to flying.
I am going with my husband and two children to Nambour Tafe Brisbane does anyone know where the best area is to live? i am hoping at the end of the two years i can then apply for residency has anyone else been accepted this way? would like to know my chances as we are selling everything here. Thanks for any help anyone can give
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

The student route was a last resort for us too. N yeah, we had too sell up to come over, arrived just the four of us with 4 large holdalls!! Had never been to Australia and knew no-one here!!

Hubbie had his own business but haddn't been doing it long enough to go through tra and it wasn't turning over enough yet to go business visa. (He did home renovations/general improvements). He is studying cabinet making and says the course is a doddle!!

Your plans are quite far in advance mummyroy, we only decided to 'go fo it' in June/July last year and came ove end of November. We find living costs really cheap here, though many say it is very expensive in comparison. We're managing on a really cheap budget, and living as STUDENTS, so no luxuries as such. Having said that, we are the happiest we have ever been, and somehow feel that our lives have just begun?!!

We both found work very easily too which has helped, so we shouldn't have to dip into the 'pot' anymore which would be fab!! On the student visa you can enter into the country 3 months before the course starts but this all obviously depends on how quickly it is processed. A student visa should only take 5-10 days, as it is done at the high commission in London, maybe a wee tad longer if they are busy. It is only really delayed for a lenghth of time if for any reason it had to be referred to Australia. Just bear in mind that you cannont work though till the course starts so great if you have the budget to allow for this as the first month or 2 would be your most expesive!! We didn't go 'mental' when we came over, stayed away from the touristy things n proper budget came into force after Christmas, but we still spent more than I would have liked us too!!

Advice for you guys just now would be, don't go through an agent, student visa really easy to do, start trying to live on a budget now stop spending money on anything, and seriously consider not shipping stuff over, you can set up well cheap over here if you want too!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

scotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty 71 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by mandyp
The student route was a last resort for us too. N yeah, we had too sell up to come over, arrived just the four of us with 4 large holdalls!! Had never been to Australia and knew no-one here!!

Hubbie had his own business but haddn't been doing it long enough to go through tra and it wasn't turning over enough yet to go business visa. (He did home renovations/general improvements). He is studying cabinet making and says the course is a doddle!!

Your plans are quite far in advance mummyroy, we only decided to 'go fo it' in June/July last year and came ove end of November. We find living costs really cheap here, though many say it is very expensive in comparison. We're managing on a really cheap budget, and living as STUDENTS, so no luxuries as such. Having said that, we are the happiest we have ever been, and somehow feel that our lives have just begun?!!

We both found work very easily too which has helped, so we shouldn't have to dip into the 'pot' anymore which would be fab!! On the student visa you can enter into the country 3 months before the course starts but this all obviously depends on how quickly it is processed. A student visa should only take 5-10 days, as it is done at the high commission in London, maybe a wee tad longer if they are busy. It is only really delayed for a lenghth of time if for any reason it had to be referred to Australia. Just bear in mind that you cannont work though till the course starts so great if you have the budget to allow for this as the first month or 2 would be your most expesive!! We didn't go 'mental' when we came over, stayed away from the touristy things n proper budget came into force after Christmas, but we still spent more than I would have liked us too!!

Advice for you guys just now would be, don't go through an agent, student visa really easy to do, start trying to live on a budget now stop spending money on anything, and seriously consider not shipping stuff over, you can set up well cheap over here if you want too!!

Cheers
Mandy

Hiya Mandy,

This is good to know, I am glad it worked out for you, I like to read stories like this as it will be the same road we take and I keep telling my other half we don't need an agent but he reckons we will.

I can't believe a student visa only takes 5-10 days, wow!

How did you cope with not having all your stuff? Did you just go on a massive spending spree as soon as you got a house and get everything at once?

Did you buy or rent? Did you take any pets with you?

Regards, Gilly.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Hi Mandyp,

Just wanted to ask, how much did it cost you to set up, when you arrived? I've just read your advise on thinking of not shipping stuff over and we are at present deciding whether or not to do this. We're not gonna use a container, but are considering shipping boxes, to ship 15 tea chest size boxes it will cost us approximately £700, this includes quarantine checks, collection and delivery charges of nearly £200. We we're gonna bring photos, wedding gifts, paperwork, duvet sets, curtains, blankets and a few kids toys. I don't know how expensive this sort of stuff is over there so in your opinion do you think we'd be better off buying new once we get there?

Also mandyp, do you have any other tips on what we should do before we leave?

Thanks
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi, The thing bout getting an agent, you are the one who does all the legwork n form filling they're only really there to double check your form n forward it on, 900gbp is a lota dosh to give someone for that!! You can do it all online its a piece of p***!!

We had a holiday rental for 2 weeks on arriving n got a long term rental when here without any problem. we live in a complex which I would highly recomend, they are pretty cheap n you get use of a pool, and BBQ facilities n other extras like tennis courts and gyms. They're like a wee community n you get to speak to loads a people n the kiddiewinks get a chance to meet up with other kids too. Excellent for at least your first rental as it can be a bit of a rush trying to get something!!

I'm thinking at giving this one a wee visit soon, looks fab!!

www.seqrents.com.au/chamonix/index.htm

We bought beds, side tables, sofas, n dining table brand new from Super amart, ranges there start well cheap. Other than things like bedding, kitchen stuff (pots n pans, cutlery etc) we bought everything second hand. Trading post, n e-bay great for this and garage sales are v popular. Thw stuff we bought new was just cause we didn't have much time between moving out n in and it was the week before Christmas so just too much to organise, I would have happily bout more stuff second hand. We got an well old retro mitsubishi jeep for $4500, second hand cars are not cheap, but you can still by cheap if you go older!!

All in all it was probably around $12k set up costs. In regards to sending over boxes of stuff, 9oogbp converts to round bout $1800 so I suppose it's just whatever you think. We didn't have a great deal ofsentimental stuff. A lot of things like that we gave away as loeaving gifts n managed to bring a lot over with us. There are still a few bits to come over, but to be honest, apart from our wedding album, hubbies kilt outfit, n my wedding dress, I can't even remember what else there is!! My mum's coming over in June so I'll just get her to bring stuff. N my MIL is over in October, other people are over in between times so I'm sure they'll all be able to bring whatever else there is.

Big tips before you leave, pack up 'goodie' bags for friends n family (we put in pictures, personal stuff, we had every copy of Australia n New Zealand we wrote a wee goodbye message on n gave them away) it's a great way to get rid of stuff and a great comfort to people you're leaving behind!! Don't have anyone waving you off at the airport, we took close family out for a meal night before we left and said our goodbyes then. Start living on a budget now, and be prepared to live on a student budget regardless of how much money you bring over with you, it'd be best to keep as much as you can for a deposit if and when you decide to buy.

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Hi, The thing bout getting an agent, you are the one who does all the legwork n form filling they're only really there to double check your form n forward it on, 900gbp is a lota dosh to give someone for that!! You can do it all online its a piece of p***!!

We had a holiday rental for 2 weeks on arriving n got a long term rental when here without any problem. we live in a complex which I would highly recomend, they are pretty cheap n you get use of a pool, and BBQ facilities n other extras like tennis courts and gyms. They're like a wee community n you get to speak to loads a people n the kiddiewinks get a chance to meet up with other kids too. Excellent for at least your first rental as it can be a bit of a rush trying to get something!!

I'm thinking at giving this one a wee visit soon, looks fab!!

www.seqrents.com.au/chamonix/index.htm

We bought beds, side tables, sofas, n dining table brand new from Super amart, ranges there start well cheap. Other than things like bedding, kitchen stuff (pots n pans, cutlery etc) we bought everything second hand. Trading post, n e-bay great for this and garage sales are v popular. Thw stuff we bought new was just cause we didn't have much time between moving out n in and it was the week before Christmas so just too much to organise, I would have happily bout more stuff second hand. We got an well old retro mitsubishi jeep for $4500, second hand cars are not cheap, but you can still by cheap if you go older!!

All in all it was probably around $12k set up costs. In regards to sending over boxes of stuff, 9oogbp converts to round bout $1800 so I suppose it's just whatever you think. We didn't have a great deal ofsentimental stuff. A lot of things like that we gave away as loeaving gifts n managed to bring a lot over with us. There are still a few bits to come over, but to be honest, apart from our wedding album, hubbies kilt outfit, n my wedding dress, I can't even remember what else there is!! My mum's coming over in June so I'll just get her to bring stuff. N my MIL is over in October, other people are over in between times so I'm sure they'll all be able to bring whatever else there is.

Big tips before you leave, pack up 'goodie' bags for friends n family (we put in pictures, personal stuff, we had every copy of Australia n New Zealand we wrote a wee goodbye message on n gave them away) it's a great way to get rid of stuff and a great comfort to people you're leaving behind!! Don't have anyone waving you off at the airport, we took close family out for a meal night before we left and said our goodbyes then. Start living on a budget now, and be prepared to live on a student budget regardless of how much money you bring over with you, it'd be best to keep as much as you can for a deposit if and when you decide to buy.

Cheers
Mandy

Thanks Mandy,

Great info. there, I too would love to see what i could pick up second hand, i love getting a bargain and having a good old route. How often would you say there's a garage sale?

I've already thought to myself about trying to stick to a budget, i've heard that they have Aldi over in oz, i know there's one on the Gold coast, i went to our local one on Saturday and got 2 bags of mainly fresh fruit for £5.12, what i bought would have cost me double in Tesco.

I think we're just gonna bring a few boxes now, about 5, that should be enough for our photos, paperwork, wedding gifts, wedding album and a few of hubbys tools, oh and bedding.

Actually i'm looking forward to going to the garage sales already, i think it is so sensible to try and find what you need this way first, i bet it saves you a fair few quid.

We're not using a migration agent, but are using an education agent, who we don't have to directly pay, so we're happy. I think it's a right rip off that they can actually charge you for just looking over your paperwork, for the student visa anyway.

Thanks for that anyway mandy, it's been great advice.

Forgot where abouts you are, is it the Gold Coast?
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Mandy, I've just looked at the complex on your link, wow, it's beautiful, and rents not too bad either, not for what you get anyway.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Mandy, I've just looked at the complex on your link, wow, it's beautiful, and rents not too bad either, not for what you get anyway.
Hay Bradburns,

Yeah we're on the Gold Coast, Garage sales every weekend, hundreds of!!
Aldi is fab, think it's only WA that doesn't have them yet, I may be wrong!! I go to Aldi for a 'weekly' shop n spend around $80 go into woolworths n maybe spend bout $20 - $30 (I prefer their cheap kitchen rolls and cold meats) n go to Nerang market on a sunday for fruit $20 - $30. I usually have to pick up bread n milk thru the week so all in all no more than $150 for a weekly shop. I don't buy loads of junk n stuff I stick to basics, but that includes things like nappies, wipes n soap powder, etc. I would have spent the equivalent in gbp back across!!

Cheers
Mandy
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Hay Bradburns,

Yeah we're on the Gold Coast, Garage sales every weekend, hundreds of!!
Aldi is fab, think it's only WA that doesn't have them yet, I may be wrong!! I go to Aldi for a 'weekly' shop n spend around $80 go into woolworths n maybe spend bout $20 - $30 (I prefer their cheap kitchen rolls and cold meats) n go to Nerang market on a sunday for fruit $20 - $30. I usually have to pick up bread n milk thru the week so all in all no more than $150 for a weekly shop. I don't buy loads of junk n stuff I stick to basics, but that includes things like nappies, wipes n soap powder, etc. I would have spent the equivalent in gbp back across!!

Cheers
Mandy
Cheers Mandy,

Soooooooooo happy about the garage sales, should save us a packet, it's so sad that i'm getting more excited about the garage sales than anything else at the moment.

Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

witney is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Student Visa/Apprenticeship?

mandyp,

Thanks for all the good advice, it's nice to know others are doing the same and enjoying it. I have friends returning on Saturday after 3 weeks of being in Brisbane as she doesn't like it she said Nambour was horrible which gives me so much hope as thats where we are planning to go. I know it's not going to be easy but in the long term hopefully we will have a better life. Can anyone tell me if the education is better over there? and does anyone know a really good place to live on the sunshine coast? any help would be great
Old Feb 25th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by witney
mandyp,

Thanks for all the good advice, it's nice to know others are doing the same and enjoying it. I have friends returning on Saturday after 3 weeks of being in Brisbane as she doesn't like it she said Nambour was horrible which gives me so much hope as thats where we are planning to go. I know it's not going to be easy but in the long term hopefully we will have a better life. Can anyone tell me if the education is better over there? and does anyone know a really good place to live on the sunshine coast? any help would be great
Hay yeah plenty bargains to be had if you look for them!! Loadsa second hand shops too some cool to look round, others just cr**, but there's notheing better than landing a wee bargain!! I got a lamp (huge ceramic vase style one) for the lounge on e-bay at the weekend, $10!! Lady stayed 10 mins away, total bargain!!

Did your friends go for a holiday Witney? We've only been to Brisbane once, to South Bank which was pretty cool not sure bout it other than that. Not been up to the sunshine coast but would love too. The Gold Coast is just fantastic, apart from the weather just now, which wouldn't have helped your friends enjoyment!! I think we brought the Glasgow rain over with us when we came end of Nov, not bee a great deal of sunshine!!

Over here is not gonna be for everyone, we know some people who are not happy over here n planning on going back soon. We have a v limited budget but are very happy over here and just make the most of all that is free or well cheap!!

Cheers
Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.