student visa??

Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

waggy660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default student visa??

i have read a post on here and in it it said the person has a student visa allowing family as well to go over, what i want to know is how do you find where to study ??what the courses are on offer ??and how to aplly ??also what previous quals do you need??what help can anyone offer us? i would like to retrain inany thing, and my wifes keen to be a student, help.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice
Default Re: student visa??

Hi, we've looked at the student visa in depth!

there's various posts on here if you do a search. Have a look at this website for a start
http://studyinaustralia.gov.au/sia/Splash2.aspx

It depends on what your wife would be interested in studying. Yes, your family are included in the visa. Children have to pay FULL SCHOOL FEES though so beware. In Queensland they are $8K each per year. Also the spouse can only work 20hrs per week unless the student is doing a masters degree course.

The course has to be CRICOS registered and has to be at least a 2 yr course (92 weeks long)

Ideally, the subject to study would need to be on the MODL list? as you would then gain extra points when it came to applying for PR, but it depends on all sorts of things such as age, region, whether you have a sponsor, etc etc......

Hope this helps!!!!!

Good luck.......

Becky
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: student visa??

Hi,

We are in Queensland on a student visa, There's me, hubby and our 2 kiddies aged nearly 8 and 2. Hubby is studying furniture making at tafe.
We got our information from the government website: www.immi.gov.au look at the section on students and it will tell you everything you will need to know.
I googled Cricos and that gave me a list of colleges and courses in around the different states of Australia. This is where you choose from the available courses. If you know either where you want to live or what you want to study, then it narrows it down for you.

We also used an education agent called Stefan Watts from Study Options, he basically went through everything with us to check that we hadn't missed anything and he answered any questions we had. You don't have to pay him for his services, so that's even better. I would highly reccommend him.

As stumpysean said, you are only allowed to work part time (20 hours per week) on this visa, the student only, being able to work full time during tafe holidays (college).

It is hard going on a student visa, you will need to have a bit of money behind you for your set up costs and even more if you have school age children.

Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions. Hope this helped.

Lisa