Wikiposts

Student visa

Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all
Default Student visa

Our 138 visa is going through and, with a fair wind, we should have it through around the turn of the year.

Now, we are foster carers and the local authorities have indicated to us that they may be willing for them to remain with us to complete their schooling. As I see it, they would need to apply for a student visa (571) and the school fees would have to be covered - about $10,400 in NSW - which we would be quite happy to do.

Does anyone know how long DIMIA might take to approve student visas?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:33 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Student visa

Hi,

I got a student visa in June this year and it took 7 days from the day i posted it to London to the day I recieved my pasport back with the visa in it.

Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by it_hooker
Our 138 visa is going through and, with a fair wind, we should have it through around the turn of the year.

Now, we are foster carers and the local authorities have indicated to us that they may be willing for them to remain with us to complete their schooling. As I see it, they would need to apply for a student visa (571) and the school fees would have to be covered - about $10,400 in NSW - which we would be quite happy to do.

Is this a long term or short term fostering? If it's long term, then it gives rise to some obvious questions.

Jeremy
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is this a long term or short term fostering? If it's long term, then it gives rise to some obvious questions.

Jeremy
Well, we're short term foster carers but the eldest has been with us for nearly 4 years now! There are no plans for them to stay with us beyond their 16th birthdays.

And I might be being a little dense this morning but what obvious questions?

Last edited by it_hooker; Oct 19th 2005 at 7:07 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BKate
Hi,

I got a student visa in June this year and it took 7 days from the day i posted it to London to the day I recieved my pasport back with the visa in it.

That's good news, thank you.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we're short term foster carers but the eldest has been with us for nearly 4 years now! There are no plans for them to stay with us beyond their 16th birthdays.

And I might be being a little dense this morning but what obvious questions?
I was simply making the point that if they have become part of your family (effectively) are you happy about the idea of leaving them in a different country?

And if not, the only way to avoid it may be adoption.

Jeremy
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
I was simply making the point that if they have become part of your family (effectively) are you happy about the idea of leaving them in a different country?

And if not, the only way to avoid it may be adoption.

Jeremy

Ah yes - there is that - it will be difficult come the day they have to leave but we don't see adoption as an option - it certainly wouldn't be possible for the youngest anyway. But, they would have received their education in Australia and for them I think it's a wonderful, life-changing opportunity and the chance to get away, for a while at least, from the demons that haunt them in the UK.

We had already resigned ourselves to losing them early next year anyway.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:38 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Usually 3-5 weeks max ....have been waiting for mine for five weeks now, but I had to have extra blood tests cos I'll be studying in a healthcare environment. Should be here any day soon I hope!

Good luck