Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Stubborn employers: work reference troubles

Wikiposts

Stubborn employers: work reference troubles

Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:50 pm
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future
Default Stubborn employers: work reference troubles

Hi all,

My employers have a standard format for my work reference letter and won't budge to include all the DIAC-necessary information! Can this be substituted by my CO's call to the HR dept? I work in a fairly well-known corporation, need reassurance it'll be okay. Thanks!

Janice
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Stubborn employers: work reference troubles

Originally Posted by janicebks
Hi all,

My employers have a standard format for my work reference letter and won't budge to include all the DIAC-necessary information! Can this be substituted by my CO's call to the HR dept? I work in a fairly well-known corporation, need reassurance it'll be okay. Thanks!

Janice
Could you get the standard reference from HR together with a personal reference from your manager which includes the necessary information and send them together with a statutory declaration explaining the situation?

This is probably what I would do faced with the same situation.

L x
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:22 pm
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Reedy
Could you get the standard reference from HR together with a personal reference from your manager which includes the necessary information and send them together with a statutory declaration explaining the situation?

This is probably what I would do faced with the same situation.

L x
Thing is, we rotate managers with every engagement (I'm an auditor). Therefore I don't actually have any managers in charge. The stat declaration bit might be helpful though. Thanks Reedy!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Thing is, we rotate managers with every engagement (I'm an auditor). Therefore I don't actually have any managers in charge. The stat declaration bit might be helpful though. Thanks Reedy!
Could you just write the reference yourself on headed note paper and ask them to sign it?
Old Nov 25th 2007, 10:37 pm
Hopeful Idealist

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Could you just write the reference yourself on headed note paper and ask them to sign it?
Put it this way... If I wanted to take a cookie from the pantry jar, I have to write a report on why it's necessary, then get it approved by the senior, then manager, then director and the cookie is released with the partner's approval.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:06 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hereshoping

OH has had to do that!!
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Put it this way... If I wanted to take a cookie from the pantry jar, I have to write a report on why it's necessary, then get it approved by the senior, then manager, then director and the cookie is released with the partner's approval.
My OH works for a company in London that are like that...Yes it is necessary to go to the toilet and here is my health and safety report on what I should do, yes I know the fire drill and have informed 3 colleague's of my intention to go to the loo and had it rubber stamped by my managers

I would do a statutory declaration as that's what my OH will be doing. The hassle of even getting a simple reference for our mortgage showed a detailed one would be a no go