Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Katie1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STILL VERY SPARKLY contributory parent visa thread part 3.

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Hi to everyone who has replied to my query. I now have great confidence and will be getting the application in very very soon. Look forward to propping up all those currently on the time line. Many many thanks.
Also apologies to the new comers for not welcoming them as many of the more established people on here did. WELCOME.
Sincere thanks to katie for her comments as that sent my mind into overdrive as I had been patiently waiting for november to apply.
As for what to keep and what to take, we will be selling virtually everything and only taking the most treasured possesions. Nice to start again all fresh and new
Sorry having difficulty containing the elation of being able to get started
pete

Hi Pete,

I didn't reply to your initial query as everyone had beaten me to it but I'm so glad that I have spurred you on to apply for your CPV visa ahead of your intended timescale.

I know that some say you have to wait 2 years but there are some lovely people on this site who have applied much sooner. My daughter & son in law have settled really well & quickly. They both have jobs, have bought a brand new house in Mount Barker, doggies have been shipped over, sold their UK property etc etc - what more can they do to prove that they have settled so I thought I'd apply early.

good luck with your application

Katie
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:34 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jmm100uk
Oh, wow!!! Fantastic news - I hope that you are celebrating, riding cloud 9 and generally not feeling a huge anticlimax!!!! Is that a celebratory cup of tea that I can see?
Hi, I think cloud 9 has passed by now and the effects of the tea have worn off, but its not an anticlimax, just a ........ bit numb. Will have to go to Ikea for a hot dog and choccy bar later, that will bring the levels back up, someone on here hinted they sell furniture as well, thats a bonus!!!

Matt
Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by durhamlad
Has anyone tried to obtain a OZ (QLD) driving licence before they have their visa.
I travel over quite a lot to visit family and now have one of my sons old cars over there to use when we are on holiday and was going to try to see if I could obtain a Oz driving licence and then register the car in my name using my sons address. Anyone tried anything similar.
Hi, when we got out Qld licences yesterday the visa numbers were taken and noted as evidence of residence.I don't think that you will get a Qld licence without an official document to prove that you are an Australian permanent resident. We also had to have proof of address (which is why we want the licence for) and as our daughter who we are staying with doesn't have a licence she couldn't vouch for us (they have a form for this), luckily I had the letter that came with our visitor medicare cards with the address on, so I was able to get my licence, then I was able to vouch for the OH so she could get hers. They were very helpful I must say.

Check here for more info
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._licence_apply

Cheers

Matt
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

ancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really nice

Hi to all. This is a first for us although have been reading and digesting for some time.
Our CPV was lodged and acknowledged June 2009.
We are now 7 months in with very little movement in time scales coming down.
As of mid March both of us will be retired, and obviously we would like to be with our Son and his family in Perth as soon as possible. There will be nothing to hold us in the UK after this date, other than the completion of the sale of our house.
We really don't know what to do next. Whether to wait the agonising time for CPV to be granted, or to go for the 12 month visitors visa, hoping CPV will be granted during our stay.
Others must have been, or are in the same position as us, and we would welcome any comments, experiences or problems that they may have come up against.
Our main concerns if we go as visitors are:

Accommodation, would we have to rent, or is it possible to purchase?
Can we purchase and own a car as visitors?
Would there be any medical implications?
Would we still have to have a UK registered address?
Shipment of household and personal effects?
We feel as if we have just written a book, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat & John
Old Jan 30th 2010, 6:52 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sirmatt101
Hi, I think cloud 9 has passed by now and the effects of the tea have worn off, but its not an anticlimax, just a ........ bit numb. Will have to go to Ikea for a hot dog and choccy bar later, that will bring the levels back up, someone on here hinted they sell furniture as well, thats a bonus!!!

Matt
Ikea? Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old Jan 30th 2010, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ancpar
Hi to all. This is a first for us although have been reading and digesting for some time.
Our CPV was lodged and acknowledged June 2009.
We are now 7 months in with very little movement in time scales coming down.
As of mid March both of us will be retired, and obviously we would like to be with our Son and his family in Perth as soon as possible. There will be nothing to hold us in the UK after this date, other than the completion of the sale of our house.
We really don't know what to do next. Whether to wait the agonising time for CPV to be granted, or to go for the 12 month visitors visa, hoping CPV will be granted during our stay.
Others must have been, or are in the same position as us, and we would welcome any comments, experiences or problems that they may have come up against.
Our main concerns if we go as visitors are:

We feel as if we have just written a book, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pat & John
Welcome Pat and John. Good questions, and I can only answer the first one, which is that you can buy property but only with the approval of the Foreign Investment Review Board, and it can't be a previously-owned home.

If I can find any interesting threads on the subject I'll post them here later.

Good luck with the visa process.

Best wishes

Steve
Old Jan 30th 2010, 8:41 am

Pat & John
Here's a useful link for medical....
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

rosalinka is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding shipping, I have been informed that I will need a copy of passport and aussie visa to ship items. Can Iget round this by stating the goods are my daughters?.I want to get them sent if by some miracle I sell the house before, by a greater miracle i get a visa
cheers rose
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

ancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really niceancpar is just really nice

Originally Posted by sandch
Here's a useful link for medical....
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/...isitors/uk.jsp
Hi Steve
Thanks for both messages,2 more avenues to explore,
will advise if we find any useful info.

Pat & John
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rosalinka
Regarding shipping, I have been informed that I will need a copy of passport and aussie visa to ship items. Can Iget round this by stating the goods are my daughters?.I want to get them sent if by some miracle I sell the house before, by a greater miracle i get a visa
cheers rose
I am sure that you would be able to get around it if your daughter used her visa and address etc. nothing to say that you haven't given it all to her! Just remember though that if she shipped a lot over customs may have records and add duty if they she she is importing more than average!

Cheers

Matt
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:14 pm

Pat & John
Hi Pat & John

I have been looking at the vehicle purchase question and it would seem to me that if you rent or buy a property you then have evidence of address, or you could possibly use sons/daughter's address!

See following link, its for Qld but am sure the rest will be similar http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._vehicles/#doc

Good luck

Matt
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:16 pm

I am sure that you would be able to get around it if your daughter used her visa and address etc. nothing to say that you haven't given it all to her! Just remember though that if she shipped a lot over customs may have records and add duty if they she she is importing more than average!

Cheers

Matt
Just had a thought, you could sell it all and buy new at IKEA Steve recommends them

Matt
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Pat & John

I have been looking at the vehicle purchase question and it would seem to me that if you rent or buy a property you then have evidence of address, or you could possibly use sons/daughter's address!

See following link, its for Qld but am sure the rest will be similar http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home..._vehicles/#doc

Good luck

Matt
High Matt,
Thanks for info.
Have followed your progress over past few months,hope all OK with your OH. Enjoy your new life,its been a long time coming
Best wishes

Pat & John.
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rosalinka
cheers rose
if you are going to be in Oz on a 12mth visitor visa then that visa should suffice for the purposes of sending possessions over. I was over in Oz for a year in 2004 on a working holiday visa and had no problem shipping some possessions over
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

jmm100uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durhamlad
Has anyone tried to obtain a OZ (QLD) driving licence before they have their visa.
I travel over quite a lot to visit family and now have one of my sons old cars over there to use when we are on holiday and was going to try to see if I could obtain a Oz driving licence and then register the car in my name using my sons address. Anyone tried anything similar.
I don't know about QLD but I bought a car on my arrival here in SA and registered it using my UK driving licence and my daughter's address - no problems at all. As I am still a temporary resident (173 visa) I do not have to exchange my licence yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.