No Hockey

Default Still need some insight, pls

Hi folks,
I'm new to this group, and have a predicament. I'm a new elementary teacher
(second career), and my wife is a nurse, living in Toronto, Canada. We know
we won't have any trouble obtaining a working VISA as both jobs are in
demand (especially nursing). Here are our problems:
1. Our kids have reservations about going down for a year or two. Any
insight into life for a young teenager in NZ or OZ?
2. NZ has shown interest in have us down there, would you choose NZ or
OZ and why?

Any help is appreciated.

BJ

P.S. We hate this snow and -10C temps.

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

ozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really niceozanand2004 is just really nice
Default Re: Still need some insight, pls

BJ,

I guess it all depends on what you want to do/ personal preferences. To me, both Australia and NZ are great places to live. I have also heard that Australian Economy is better that that of NZ (dont quote me on this one though). I would stay in Oz and visit NZ once in a while. I really dont know about the social aspects of settling in Oz/NZ from a teenager's perspective. I guess it also varies greatly within each country from city to city. But, of course, both countries have terrific weather compared to Canada. To summarize, I would choose Australia. Your best bet : GOOGLE/ Lifestyle forum on BA.

My $.02/-
-Anand.

Originally Posted by No Hockey
Hi folks,
I'm new to this group, and have a predicament. I'm a new elementary teacher
(second career), and my wife is a nurse, living in Toronto, Canada. We know
we won't have any trouble obtaining a working VISA as both jobs are in
demand (especially nursing). Here are our problems:
1. Our kids have reservations about going down for a year or two. Any
insight into life for a young teenager in NZ or OZ?
2. NZ has shown interest in have us down there, would you choose NZ or
OZ and why?

Any help is appreciated.

BJ

P.S. We hate this snow and -10C temps.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:58 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Still need some insight, pls

i suppose teenagers will never be satisfied with uprooting them and any change away from there friends/schools will cause mass upheavle., Ask them what they would be excited about with the weather to surf,ski and dive/snorkel and be able to wear shorts most of the year in one place. Their answers should guide you more than your dreams as you will be moving as a family and not just because you and the wife/husband fancy it as it is very unfair on the kids to be dragged away from everything that they have, no matter what you think will be good for them. They will not see it that way unless you talk to them and not try to pressure them in any way. You have to sell the idea to them. try to make them understand why you are thinking of the move and how it will benfit all rather than you and spouse.
Find a common ground complaint about your country and life that you have with the kids, I.E. its too cold most of the year.... and then you will all maybe pull in the right direction together, rather than you just deciding to up sticks and be hated for it for the rest of their lives through your what seems to them as selfishness. i wish you all the luck in the world.xxx