British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   State Sponsorship Work Requirements....and? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/state-sponsorship-work-requirements-713335/)

Rightyabe Apr 13th 2011 11:19 pm

State Sponsorship Work Requirements....and?

Could someone tell me what are the work experience requirements for state sponsorship to: WA, NSW, VIC, QSL.

I know that in SA its 12 months in the last 24...

And what is "recent work experiance in closely related occupation" I'm a Quantity Surveying graduate in 2008 and worked in my father construction company as a General Labourer/Site Manager for 3 years, would this suffice for Quantity Surveying? My job included measurement and estimating etc but I had no formal contract.

Also,:unsure: In the new points systen July 2011 it says:

Sponsorship by state or territory government gains 5 points and
Sponsorship by family or state or territory government to regional Australia gains 10 points

What defines regional? If I was working in a office in Perth, but the company had building sites in regional Australia which meant I had to visit the sites for meeting etc, would that count as regional Australia.

Also how hard is it to pass the AIQS assessment if your degree in not recgionsed by RICS? But is recgionsed by the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland?

Sorry for the length, any help greatly appricated, good or bad.:thumbsup:

Regards.

newjersey Apr 13th 2011 11:34 pm

Re: State Sponsorship Work Requirements....and?

Originally Posted by Rightyabe (Post 9304606)
Could someone tell me what are the work experience requirements for state sponsorship to: WA, NSW, VIC, QSL.

I know that in SA its 12 months in the last 24...

And what is "recent work experiance in closely related occupation" I'm a Quantity Surveying graduate in 2008 and worked in my father construction company as a General Labourer/Site Manager for 3 years, would this suffice for Quantity Surveying? My job included measurement and estimating etc but I had no formal contract.

Also,:unsure: In the new points systen July 2011 it says:

Sponsorship by state or territory government gains 5 points and
Sponsorship by family or state or territory government to regional Australia gains 10 points

What defines regional? If I was working in a office in Perth, but the company had building sites in regional Australia which meant I had to visit the sites for meeting etc, would that count as regional Australia.

Also how hard is it to pass the AIQS assessment if your degree in not recgionsed by RICS? But is recgionsed by the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland?

Sorry for the length, any help greatly appricated, good or bad.:thumbsup:

Regards.

Regional means you live and work in the regional area, as defined by the list of post codes (regional visas have that list). You are not prohibited from visiting the metro areas ;) but I would think that working in Perth would be falling short of the requirement.

Rightyabe Apr 13th 2011 11:58 pm

Thanks

This is the codes;

Western Australia
Except Perth and surrounding areas.
6041 to 6044
6083 to 6084
6121 to 6126
6200 to 6799

Could anyone get this in a map form, I've tried every were.

mrsgreenstar76 Apr 14th 2011 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Rightyabe (Post 9304680)
Thanks

This is the codes;

Western Australia
Except Perth and surrounding areas.
6041 to 6044
6083 to 6084
6121 to 6126
6200 to 6799

Could anyone get this in a map form, I've tried every were.

I typed in "Western Australia Postcode Map" into Google and the 3rd one down gave me this:

http://www.postcodes-australia.com/areas/wa

It wasn't hard to find.

Rightyabe Apr 14th 2011 12:19 am

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 9304702)
I typed in "Western Australia Postcode Map" into Google and the 3rd one down gave me this:

http://www.postcodes-australia.com/areas/wa

It wasn't hard to find.

Yeah I found that one, but it still doesn't give a map which is colour coded showing regional and metro areas.

mrsgreenstar76 Apr 14th 2011 12:27 am

Originally Posted by Rightyabe (Post 9304727)
Yeah I found that one, but it still doesn't give a map which is colour coded showing regional and metro areas.

It does give a map, but you'll have to look at them individually.

Rightyabe Apr 14th 2011 2:31 am

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76 (Post 9304737)
It does give a map, but you'll have to look at them individually.

I know that, I'm after a map which has regions colour coded etc...thanks anyway:thumbup:

Dorothy Apr 14th 2011 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Rightyabe (Post 9304955)
I know that, I'm after a map which has regions colour coded etc...thanks anyway:thumbup:

Colour coded or not, you still can't live in Perth metro and work in an office in Perth metro for a regional visa. Site visits don't count as regional work. You must actually live and work in those areas and NOT Perth. That's the whole idea of a regional visa.

kittybee Jul 19th 2011 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9305896)
Colour coded or not, you still can't live in Perth metro and work in an office in Perth metro for a regional visa. Site visits don't count as regional work. You must actually live and work in those areas and NOT Perth. That's the whole idea of a regional visa.

how about living in perth metro ( i have a long term lease here which will be hard to escape) and working in the regional area full time and commuting? it might sound opportunist but if i were to get a job on the mines the same would technically apply, wouldnt it? my current employer wants to open up a new venue out of town, and its within reach of a (rather long) drive to perth.

newjersey Jul 19th 2011 3:27 am

Originally Posted by kittybee (Post 9504820)
how about living in perth metro ( i have a long term lease here which will be hard to escape) and working in the regional area full time and commuting? it might sound opportunist but if i were to get a job on the mines the same would technically apply, wouldnt it? my current employer wants to open up a new venue out of town, and its within reach of a (rather long) drive to perth.

Afaik it says 'live and work' so if you want to be anal about the definition, I'd say it is a no go. Although you could be visiting it every other weekend, say, to wash up etc. :p and head back to the mine, the permanent residence is in a place that is not classed as regional area

kittybee Jul 19th 2011 3:37 am

Originally Posted by newjersey (Post 9504845)
Afaik it says 'live and work' so if you want to be anal about the definition, I'd say it is a no go. Although you could be visiting it every other weekend, say, to wash up etc. :p and head back to the mine, the permanent residence is in a place that is not classed as regional area

aw crap. if youre working on the mines, how does it work? i dont know anyone that actually lives near their minesite, they pretty much all fly in fly out from perth and surrounding burbs. i suppose i could rent a place in newman or something but then i couldnt get to and from work (as transport seems to be arranged from airport in perth to minesite).

kittybee Jul 19th 2011 3:39 am

Originally Posted by kittybee (Post 9504859)
aw crap. if youre working on the mines, how does it work? i dont know anyone that actually lives near their minesite, they pretty much all fly in fly out from perth and surrounding burbs. i suppose i could rent a place in newman or something but then i couldnt get to and from work (as transport seems to be arranged from airport in perth to minesite).

ps. youre closer to home than you think...my lodger is so messy and grubby it would take a week to clean it up after him if i werent here, lol!

wattsbug Jul 19th 2011 3:49 am

Originally Posted by kittybee (Post 9504860)
ps. youre closer to home than you think...my lodger is so messy and grubby it would take a week to clean it up after him if i werent here, lol!

my understanding is that regional is about living and working in the same area. if you live there, then you are more likely to put money back into that community to enhance it as well as providing skills in your employment within that community.

its essentially a scaled down version of state sponsorship is it not.
Ie you would not get away with living in QLD but comuting to work in new south wales!

kittybee Jul 19th 2011 3:54 am

Originally Posted by wattsbug (Post 9504885)
my understanding is that regional is about living and working in the same area. if you live there, then you are more likely to put money back into that community to enhance it as well as providing skills in your employment within that community.

its essentially a scaled down version of state sponsorship is it not.
Ie you would not get away with living in QLD but comuting to work in new south wales!

thats more or less my understanding too; i suppose its just wishful thinking that i could get PR after some years of TR by working on the mines, but as living out there isnt really possible (unless you were near kalgoorlie or something) then it isn't going to happen.

newjersey Jul 19th 2011 4:54 am

Originally Posted by kittybee (Post 9504894)
thats more or less my understanding too; i suppose its just wishful thinking that i could get PR after some years of TR by working on the mines, but as living out there isnt really possible (unless you were near kalgoorlie or something) then it isn't going to happen.

There is a thread about whole of Perth being reclassed as regional, so if there is any truth to it, you wont have anything to worry about.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=725428