British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Spouse visa question - 10 years on (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/spouse-visa-question-10-years-902223/)

RachelH Aug 22nd 2017 5:07 am

Re: Spouse visa question - 10 years on

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12321631)
You should be eligible for a one year subclass 155 Returning Resident visa based on your relationship with your Australian citizen husband.

Thank you. This is really helpful.

verystormy Aug 22nd 2017 6:10 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12321631)
You should be eligible for a one year subclass 155 Returning Resident visa based on your relationship with your Australian citizen husband.

Not if she no longer has a PR visa, which is looking like she doesn't.

verystormy Aug 22nd 2017 6:12 am

Originally Posted by RachelH (Post 12321386)
Many thanks - I put my spouse visa number in and it doesn't recognise it....looks like I've seriously cocked up. I guess all I can do is try and contact them and see what my options are. Thanks again.

It looks like you have managed to cancel your PR. As a result, as mentioned above, you have two choices.

If you have an occupation on the skills list, you could go down the skilled PR route. The advantage is that it is cheaper.

If not, then you are going to need a new spouse visa.

NickyC Aug 22nd 2017 7:13 am

I recall that a few people on here in the past have been granted RRVs having previously been issued with a Visitor visa, so I don't necessarily believe it's a given that your PR has been cancelled.

Not being on Vevo certainly doesn't prove it. I know of people that should be there but aren't on it.

BritInParis Aug 22nd 2017 8:01 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12321752)
Not if she no longer has a PR visa, which is looking like she doesn't.

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12321753)
It looks like you have managed to cancel your PR. As a result, as mentioned above, you have two choices.

If you have an occupation on the skills list, you could go down the skilled PR route. The advantage is that it is cheaper.

If not, then you are going to need a new spouse visa.

That's not a given. The OP will need to make an application to find out. It would be certainly a lot more cost effective than applying for a new Partner visa.

Le_Main Aug 26th 2017 8:18 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12321205)

If it has cancelled your PR, then the only option would be a new spouse visa - expensive (Spouse visas are now $7000 plus medicals and police checks).

This is not actually the case. RRVs are available to former permanent residents as well as current ones. The eligibility criteria are basically the same i.e. demonstrating ties, which the OP clearly has.

See DIBP website:

"You must be:

an Australian permanent resident
a former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship."

cheers

Pollyana Aug 26th 2017 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Le_Main (Post 12324702)
This is not actually the case. RRVs are available to former permanent residents as well as current ones. The eligibility criteria are basically the same i.e. demonstrating ties, which the OP clearly has.

See DIBP website:

"You must be:

an Australian permanent resident
a former permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship."

cheers

BritinParis has already said that above. The only way to know for sure is to apply - no guarantees either way.

Le_Main Aug 26th 2017 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12324813)
BritinParis has already said that above. The only way to know for sure is to apply - no guarantees either way.

There is never a guarantee, but what you said was incorrect. You said "the only option would be a new spouse visa - expensive". This is not the case as the OP has a pretty good chance of getting an RRV as a former PR (if, indeed, that is what she is).

The "new visa cancels the previous one" may be true, but it does NOT cancel the opportunity for anyone who has once been a PR to apply (or reapply) for an RRV.

cheers

Pollyana Aug 26th 2017 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Le_Main (Post 12324865)
There is never a guarantee, but what you said was incorrect. You said "the only option would be a new spouse visa - expensive". This is not the case as the OP has a pretty good chance of getting an RRV as a former PR (if, indeed, that is what she is).

The "new visa cancels the previous one" may be true, but it does NOT cancel the opportunity for anyone who has once been a PR to apply (or reapply) for an RRV.

cheers

And where did I say that? :unsure::confused:

I deliberately did not make any comment because I know she may be able to get a RRV, Instead I said that the only way to know is to apply.

NickyC Aug 27th 2017 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Le_Main (Post 12324865)

cheers

It was Verystormy who said that (Post #12).

Not Pollyana :-)