Wikiposts

Spouse Visa Query

Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

koala12 will become famous soon enoughkoala12 will become famous soon enough
Default Spouse Visa Query

Hi
Hope someone can help me with this query? I am in Oz on a temporary spouse visa which is eligible for upgrade to permanent in February 2008. What's the procedure for this, ie do DIAC contact you in advance and tell you what you have to do or do they wait until after the date? Also, how long does it take to get the permanent visa and what's involved? I recently sent for an AFP check which came back a couple of days ago, will this still be valid in February or do I need to apply for another one, I'm not sure of how long these remain valid and as they take a few weeks to come back would want to send for it again in good time if necessary to speed up the transition from temporary to permanent status.
Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spouse Visa Query

Originally Posted by koala12
Hi
Hope someone can help me with this query? I am in Oz on a temporary spouse visa which is eligible for upgrade to permanent in February 2008. What's the procedure for this, ie do DIAC contact you in advance and tell you what you have to do or do they wait until after the date? Also, how long does it take to get the permanent visa and what's involved? I recently sent for an AFP check which came back a couple of days ago, will this still be valid in February or do I need to apply for another one, I'm not sure of how long these remain valid and as they take a few weeks to come back would want to send for it again in good time if necessary to speed up the transition from temporary to permanent status.
Thanks
I applied for mine in January this year and it came through in July, so roughly 7 months for me. DIAC are meant to contact you before the date, however they cut it very close to mine so I called them in the end and they sent the paperwork out.

They tell you eactly what to send in - it involved an updated statement from myself and my husband, Form 80, and a couple of other bits and pieces for evidence, such as photos, bills etc, but nowhere near as complicated as the temporary visa application.

I think the Police checks are valid for a year but am not 100% sure. Also if you have returned home whilst on your temporary visa you will need a police clearance for that country also.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rancid
I applied for mine in January this year and it came through in July, so roughly 7 months for me. DIAC are meant to contact you before the date, however they cut it very close to mine so I called them in the end and they sent the paperwork out.
Bear in mind that the 2 years are up based on date of application for the temporary spouse visa, not when it was granted.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Default Spouse Visa Query

Hi JAJ
Yes I was aware the 2 years is from date of application which means I'll be eligible on 14th February 2008.....can you advise me of the procedure? Also do you know how long AFP clearance checks remain valid as I recently received one?
Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koala12
Hi JAJ
Yes I was aware the 2 years is from date of application which means I'll be eligible on 14th February 2008.....can you advise me of the procedure? Also do you know how long AFP clearance checks remain valid as I recently received one?
Thanks
DIAC should contact you no less than a month in advance. If they don't - contact them.

AFP checks are normally valid for a year. This is assessed when the second stage is decided (normally 2 years plus a few months).
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
DIAC should contact you no less than a month in advance. If they don't - contact them.

AFP checks are normally valid for a year. This is assessed when the second stage is decided (normally 2 years plus a few months).
Thanks for that JAJ, I will definitely contact them if I dont hear from them mid-January as I need my PR status asap so my parents in England can submit a CPV and come to Oz to join us.....