Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Spouse visa doing my head in! Advice GREATLY appreciated!!

Spouse visa doing my head in! Advice GREATLY appreciated!!

Old Feb 23rd 2014, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

mirandrich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse visa doing my head in! Advice GREATLY appreciated!!

Hi all

I'm dual nationality (Brit and Aus). We are planning to move to Aus next year sometime. We are both doctors and will have no problems finding work out there.

So we have filled in the online application for husband to get a spouse visa (we've been together 10 years and married 4). We paid the fee (over $3000 Aussie!) and then I filled in the sponsor form and submitted.

My questions:
1. Next to my sponsor form it says 'submitted', but next to his spouse visa it says 'in progress'. When will it change to 'submitted'?
2. When I go into his application, it has the opportunity to upload documents. Next to ALL of the documents, it says 'recommended'. None of them say 'required'.
- Which ones actually are required?
- Will the form change from 'in progress' to 'submitted' once we've uploaded one of the specific ones?
- Is the police check and health check required? Why does it just say recommended?
- I've actually already uploaded HEAPS of documents (e.g. Form 888s, photos, statements, etc). When will our application actually start being processed?

Thanks SO so much
Mir
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse visa doing my head in! Advice GREATLY appreciated!!

I really would not worry about online status and what it says. People get visas granted without status ever changing. Provide evidence if your relationship, what do you think proves it? I would not have thought you would even need "heaps" of evidence in your situation so you have probably sent enough. Good evidence is proof of address, not piles of photos. You will need to do medicals and police checks.

I believe this visa is taking about 9 monts to process.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 23rd 2014 at 4:53 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mirandrich
Hi all

I'm dual nationality (Brit and Aus). We are planning to move to Aus next year sometime. We are both doctors and will have no problems finding work out there.

So we have filled in the online application for husband to get a spouse visa (we've been together 10 years and married 4). We paid the fee (over $3000 Aussie!) and then I filled in the sponsor form and submitted.

My questions:
1. Next to my sponsor form it says 'submitted', but next to his spouse visa it says 'in progress'. When will it change to 'submitted'?
2. When I go into his application, it has the opportunity to upload documents. Next to ALL of the documents, it says 'recommended'. None of them say 'required'.
- Which ones actually are required?
- Will the form change from 'in progress' to 'submitted' once we've uploaded one of the specific ones?
- Is the police check and health check required? Why does it just say recommended?
- I've actually already uploaded HEAPS of documents (e.g. Form 888s, photos, statements, etc). When will our application actually start being processed?

Thanks SO so much
Mir
As already stated, don't get hung up on what the oline status thing says!

Your husband will definitely need a full medical and relevant police checks
As for the others - use the Partner Booklet as a guide, things like passport copies and birth certs are essential, but when it comes to the evidence of relationship there are far more possibilities.

Spouse Visas are on a 9 month turnaround in London at present.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:34 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

We recently went through this, I am sponsoring my wife, and children, for a spouse visa. We had some required documents, but mainly recommended. We uploaded the required docs, and some of the recommended ones, but some of them are irrelevant to all visa applications, so we just ignored them. My sponsorship form still says 'in progress' and we submitted early January.

Have you had an email from a case worker yet? They will tell you what they want if you haven't provided it, and also when to get your medical done. We've also been told 8-9 months processing time, but have seen others being granted in less time.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 9:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your Case Officer will be in touch once they are allocated your application. They will assess t and they will request anything extra they require to make a decision. Closer to the grant date they will request your medical and police checks as these have a limited validity. You are looking at 8-9 months from date of lodgement to grant for any applications submitted to London in this Australian financial year.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

mirandrich is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so, so much. So reassuring and helpful.

I'll sit back for the time being and wait for the case manager to get in touch!

Thanks again!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:36 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mirandrich
Thank you all so, so much. So reassuring and helpful.

I'll sit back for the time being and wait for the case manager to get in touch!

Thanks again!
Best approach at present They will let you know when they need anything, and unfortunately no amount of fretting will speed up the process - I know that, been there, seen it, lived it!!!
Old Feb 26th 2014, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Sophielouise90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, does anyone know roughly how long it takes from submitting an application to it being assigned to a CO?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2014, 5:02 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Sophielouise90
Hi, does anyone know roughly how long it takes from submitting an application to it being assigned to a CO?

Many thanks.
Only a few days usually. The CO will send you a receipt and an email detailing your lodgement date, expected timeline, and detils of other documents they need, and thats usually within a week.